shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond is not only fluorescent but phosphorescent...

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My engagement ring arrived today and I absolutely love it! We'll take it to our jeweler tomorrow to get it appraised and re-sized. One thing I'd love to know more about is phosphorescence in diamonds. While playing with my diamond tonight I discovered that it's not only has a blue fluorescence it also has a orange phosphorescence that lasts about 20 seconds.

How common is this? As a scientist I love this but I would love to know more about it! Any information is greatly appreciated!

The ring:
img_5201b.jpg
img_0771b.jpg

The fluorescence:
img_0800b.jpg

The phosphorescence:
img_5261b.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my, that has to be the coolest thing ever!!! :appl: Beautiful ring and I think you have a great diamond!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
That is such a great ring. Fluorescent and phosphorescent... i dont think there are many others out there with this combination!

Congrats!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your diamond puts on quite the show! Very cool! :appl:

Forgot to add - I love the setting, too!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
That's very cool! (And a lovely ring too!)

I searched around on the topic last night when I saw this and there are a few threads out there dealing with the phenomenon but now I can't find the longer of the ones I was looking at (duh) to post here and I also found out the Hope diamond has red phosphorescence.

So I have a question and maybe it's stupid...but if looking at it with a blacklight "charges" it as it were, if you take it out in to the sun for a bit, then go in a dark room, will it phosphoresce? I have a little blacklight that's part of my loupe but I don't know if that is strong enough to cause it if a stone had phosphorescence as well as fluorescence.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
That is very cool. What kind of UV emitter are you using? This is common in some other types of gemstones (tenebresecent scapolite, sodalite,hackmanite) but requires a pretty strong UV activation, and can be particular to a particular wavelength. My scapolite won't charge with a little led UV, but will with a stronger bulb like you'd find in a lightbox for viewing EtBr gels.

Very cool, and congratulations!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neat! Mine phosphoreses (word?) A kind of greenish. You have no idea how happy I was to see that. I'm a nrd about flour! :geek:

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
That is so cool! How did you discover it?

Doesn't the Hope Diamond have a red phosphorescence?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Very very cool to see this ring. Fortekity found it on ebay and we looked at it. The setting is stunning and what a cool effect.

Awesome price too!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone posted a PS thread about there's and I had to try it. I'm so jealous yours is red!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore the side shot of your setting! Congrats on such a great find!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1362589185|3397977 said:
Neat! Mine phosphoreses (word?) A kind of greenish. You have no idea how happy I was to see that. I'm a nrd about flour! :geek:

That's really cool Nielseel! I tried putting mine in the sun for a little while while I drank my coffee this am, didn't do anything...oh well....it's medium fluor. Maybe it has to be strong fluor to have a chance or something.

BTW- I wanted to go back and look at your thread on what you want to do with your pear. I know you were talking 2 tone. Are you going to re-halo it? A halo could REALLY be pretty for your pear, but I agree it ought to be in prongs and not in the bezel. I also think the halo should be cut down or French pave, instead of the kind you have that has more metal showing around the edge (and 1pters, full cut)....but that could just be my own preference talking rather than objective opinion. A different kind of halo would really accentuate your pear, I think and maybe it's just in the in the wrong kind of halo right now and that's why it keeps not looking "right" to you. I know it could though!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bastetcat|1362592227|3398029 said:

That's really cool Nielseel! I tried putting mine in the sun for a little while while I drank my coffee this am, didn't do anything...oh well....it's medium fluor. Maybe it has to be strong fluor to have a chance or something.

BTW- I wanted to go back and look at your thread on what you want to do with your pear. I know you were talking 2 tone. Are you going to re-halo it? A halo could REALLY be pretty for your pear, but I agree it ought to be in prongs and not in the bezel. I also think the halo should be cut down or French pave, instead of the kind you have that has more metal showing around the edge (and 1pters, full cut)....but that could just be my own preference talking rather than objective opinion. A different kind of halo would really accentuate your pear, I think and maybe it's just in the in the wrong kind of halo right now and that's why it keeps not looking "right" to you. I know it could though!

My phos only shows after a black light shines on it so you should try that see if toured does it!

As for my halo, they are actually half pointers, but your right i think it either needs a new halo or a three stone, but I'm keeping pear. But I'm trying to just hold out until I'm sure which route to go

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1362593091|3398034 said:
bastetcat|1362592227|3398029 said:

My phos only shows after a black light shines on it so you should try that see if toured does it!

As for my halo, they are actually half pointers, but your right i think it either needs a new halo or a three stone, but I'm keeping pear. But I'm trying to just hold out until I'm sure which route to go

Hmm- I may get a bigger (stronger) light then and try again. I think my battery might go out before I could possibly get enough "charge".

That's a tough call on your pear...Love pears in halo, love pears with side baguettes and pear with pear sides (if the proportions are right)....or you could go all the way and do a halo with pear sides. :) I bet they could make the adjustment (or find a setting) for a pear center and sides...then you'd have all the bases covered- pear, halo and a 3 stone. :D

http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=42_132&products_id=27725&cType=ER

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the compliments! In a selfish way I'm so glad that those of you who looked at it didn't purchase it! I can't believe how bad the pictures were from the seller! When they first posted it they only had the first two pictures and we asked for more which is why they posted the other two. My sweet BF had been looking for over 2 months for the *perfect* ring and we both agree, no question about it, this was the perfect ring for us!

mercoledi: I see the effect with a 365nm UV lamp but I see it even more intensely with my unknown wavelenth LED UV lights that I have for curing gel nail polishes! :lol:

OneFifty: I'm a total nerd (chemist) so checking for fluorescence is one of the first things I did! Discovering that it was not only fluorescent but had a neat orange phosphorescence blew me away!

I think this is the coolest thing ever! Makes me love the ring even more which I didn't even know was possible!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
We looked and definitely considered then we felt sad when it was sold and regret not buying it. LOL. We are glad we got to see the ring again with its new home. I am very happy that you have it.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for being so nice about us getting it! We just dropped it off at the jeweler ring sizing and he's going to take a mold of it so he can custom make a matching band. If you ever need a jeweler in Santa Barbara then Joe at Bella Rosa is the place to go!

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
super cool!

toBnruG

Rough_Rock
There was a question earlier in this thread about whether a stone was phosphorescing only after black light exposure, or also to sunlight.
Well I recently posted pictures in this thread of my wife's engagement stone phosphorescing. This occurs after exposure to ANY form of bright light. Black light; sunlight; incandescent white light; white LED light. Maybe I should experiment with more lights?
I don't know if this is related to the fact that it's a natural fancy (greyish) green, meaning it gets its colour from radiation exposure. One thing I can say for certain though, is that the phosphorescence it shows is exactly the same colour as I get from the hands of my watch (glow in the dark). The phosphorescence continues for many minutes after light exposure, just getting dimmer and dimmer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results