shape
carat
color
clarity

DBTY necklace questions (stone size, tcw)

Statefan42

Rough_Rock
I had a previous thread trying to decide on a birthday gift. I have decided on a DBTY necklace. I will most likely be getting it from Whiteflash.

The standard necklace on their site is 16" long with 7 stones (.50tcw). So each stone is about .07.

I guess I am trying to figure out 2 things.

Is a 16" chain long enough? I don't want it to be to tight for her. She doesn't have a very large neck though so maybe this is fine. It seems to be the standard length.

Are the .07 stones going to be large enough? I know the necklace is supposed to be delicate so maybe this size is fine.

Just looking for some opinions. I wanted to stay around $1000. With the wire discount and the $75 first time coupon this standard necklace is $800. I would go up to $1200 if it really made a difference.

I'm on chat with whiteflash and asked about doing something custom with larger diamonds for $1200. She is suggesting that I just go with their .75 option which has 14 diamonds at .05 each. So smaller diamonds but more of them. What are some opinions on this?

Thanks!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it were me, I'd prefer the 7 as they post, but in larger stones. Yes, they are supposed to be delicate and floating, but bigger bling is ... well... BIGGER BLING! Never a bad thing! :wink2:

Have you seen the other DBTY threads lately? Can you measure a favourite necklace of hers to be sure the length is suitable. Also - the diameter of the chain. I think it was SMith1940 who learned about 1mm vs 1.5mm chain.

Statefan42

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1335557903|3182382 said:
If it were me, I'd prefer the 7 as they post, but in larger stones. Yes, they are supposed to be delicate and floating, but bigger bling is ... well... BIGGER BLING! Never a bad thing! :wink2:

Have you seen the other DBTY threads lately? Can you measure a favourite necklace of hers to be sure the length is suitable. Also - the diameter of the chain. I think it was SMith1940 who learned about 1mm vs 1.5mm chain.

I have spent quite a bit of time looking at the DBTY threads. They helped me decide to get her the necklace over a pair of earrings. They are all beautiful but I am still having a hard time with the sizing.

Measuring a favorite necklace would be a great idea except she really doesn't have much jewelry. This would be her only piece of quality jewelry. She has one pendant that she wears a lot that I will try to see how long it is.

How much bigger over .07 would it need to be to be noticeable? I asked the whiteflash rep about .10 and she said that wouldn't make much of a difference.

I'm not 100% committed to whiteflash. I have seen that IDJ might be a good option to contact. Even though the diamonds are small I want to make sure they are nice so the ACA melee from whiteflash was appealing. I looked at BGD since that is where I'll probably be buying her ring soon but they are prices higher for this particular necklace.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Speaking as a person who has a dbty necklace, I have the following suggestions:
1. Have the diamonds placed close to the front, spaced closer together than the standard 2-inch. Good spacing is 1.2" to 1.5", depending on the total number of melees. Do not waste your money having melees placed at or close to the back, as they are hidden most of the time.

2. Do not go any size smaller than 0.07ct. Best is 10pt to 15pt, especially for a necklace with no dangling pendant. For melees, the size difference is noticeable.

3. Ask vendor about adjustable length option. The ability to adjust necklace length is very useful when layering with other necklaces and pairing with various outfits with different necklines.

Statefan42

Rough_Rock
FancyDiamond|1335560043|3182404 said:
Speaking as a person who has a dbty necklace, I have the following suggestions:
1. Have the diamonds placed close to the front, spaced closer together than the standard 2-inch. Good spacing is 1.2" to 1.5", depending on the total number of melees. Do not waste your money having melees placed at or close to the back, as they are hidden most of the time.

2. Do not go any size smaller than 0.07ct. Best is 10pt to 15pt, especially for a necklace with no dangling pendant. For melees, the size difference is noticeable.

3. Ask vendor about adjustable length option. The ability to adjust necklace length is very useful when layering with other necklaces and pairing with various outfits with different necklines.

Thanks this is very helpful. I have some time so I am going to contact a couple of vendors and see what they can do. I already ruled out the .75 with 14 stones from whiteflash. With all the discounts she could give me it was still almost 1400. I'd rather do 7 larger stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely 7 larger stones, even if you can only go to 8-9 points! I don't like an adjustable length, though, because the one I have always drifts around to the front and you have extra chain hanging there. Does she have a slim build and thin neck? If so, 16" should be fine. I like 17" for myself and 18" for pendant chains.

Statefan42

Rough_Rock
Just heard from IDJ. They can do 7 stones .12 each within my budget. "f-g eye clean SI excellent cut pricescope quality" is what she said. Anyone know how the quality would compare to the white flash ACA melee? I don't want to give up quality just to go bigger.

IDJ's quote is an extra $400 but goes from .05 each to .12.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1335562779|3182434 said:
Definitely 7 larger stones, even if you can only go to 8-9 points! I don't like an adjustable length, though, because the one I have always drifts around to the front and you have extra chain hanging there. Does she have a slim build and thin neck? If so, 16" should be fine. I like 17" for myself and 18" for pendant chains.

I'm 5' 4", slim neck, and have found that 16" is a bit short on me because my necklaces have a tendancy to slide back so the front of my DBTY solitaire diamond ends up in the hollow of my neck. I later got an 18" with a single colored stone (bezel attached to the chain) and it doesn't slide back like that. Maybe 17" would be a good compromise for the DBTY with diamonds that go around the chain?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that 17" would be more comfortable for me, personally. WF will use VS clarity stones which I prefer, regardless of who is making it. As long as they use the best cut melee, you probably can't tell a lot of difference. Are the bezels handmade or not?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have .12 stones F/G, SI stones, SI clarity in my 8 stone 1/2 eternity band from IDJ - and they are WILDLY INSANE in the sun! they show up very white- I would not hesitate at all to go with those stones but then, I've never bought anything from WF or owned any of the ACA's. I've attached a photo of what my .12's look like.

My vote - sounds perfect to me! :bigsmile:

IMG_0557.jpg

Statefan42

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1335813455|3184158 said:
I have .12 stones F/G, SI stones, SI clarity in my 8 stone 1/2 eternity band from IDJ - and they are WILDLY INSANE in the sun! they show up very white- I would not hesitate at all to go with those stones but then, I've never bought anything from WF or owned any of the ACA's. I've attached a photo of what my .12's look like.

My vote - sounds perfect to me! :bigsmile:

I saw your ring in your thread and that helped me decide to contact IDJ. This has become such a hard decision to buy what seems like such a simple item. I'm sure I'll lose sleep once I actually start looking at the diamond for her ring lol.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:D It can be a bit overwhelming, that's for sure!

Glad that Luann told you they are PS quality. I was stressing that with her as well. She is a dream to work with!

You have to feel comfortable with the vendor you are purchasing from, but as I say, I'd not hesitate at all to purchase a DBTY from IDJ. Excellent customer service as well.

Good luck!

Statefan42

Rough_Rock
I'm waiting for WF to get back to me with a quote using 7 x.12 and I'm going to decide from there. I am sure the .07 diamonds would be beautiful but I'm hoping I can get her something just a little bigger.

WF can do 7 X .10 in my budget. She already confirmed that for me.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally need 18" necklaces or I feel choked. I would probalby go 10s or 12s if possible.

Smith1940

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I recently bought a DBTY necklace from Brian Gavin, and a sapphires-by-the-yard necklace from Whiteflash.

I took lots of pictures, and I've just bumped up both threads about them to the top in the "Show me the Bling" forum. If you look at my BGD thread, and scroll way down, you'll see a close-up comparison of a 0.07 Tiffany DBTY and the BGD 0.10 DBTY. There is indeed a difference.

The sapphires-by-the-yard are 0.13 each.

In terms of chain size, you probably want a 1mm chain. Most DBTY are made with these. 1.5mm looks quite thick, in my opinion. The diamonds are supposed to "float" on a delicate chain, and the chain is delicate so the diamonds can stand out.

In terms of length, if you look at my photos, the BGD is 15.75 and the WF sapphires-by-the-yard is 16.25. Personally, I like the DBTY to sit just below the base of the throat. I think it's a stylish look and to me, 17 or 18-inch necklaces hang too low and look "grannyish", unless you're wearing a large statement of a pendant.

Enjoy the threads!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there -

I just received photos today of a DBTY necklace that I have had Whiteflash custom make for me. I did quite a bit of research to try and figure out what would be ideal for me, and after looking through many threads and paying Tiffany's several visits to sort out ideal length, tcw, etc., I decided on an 18" 7 X .15. I agree with the others in that my preference was to go for fewer, larger stones. I also had them placed so that there weren't any 'hidden' in the back. The 16" chains were just too short for me - they tended to hang a little funny and just didn't look right. FYI I'm tall (5'9") but quite lean.

Anything smaller than .10 just seemed too small / insignificant on me - possibly because I am on the taller side. I also chose platinum bezels but an 18 kt chain. After trying on the platinum chains at Tiffany's they tended to look quite dull compared to the yellow gold. I purposely stayed away from white gold as I read on other's dbty threads that because it is worn close to the skin the rhodium plating can wear quite easily on these pieces.

I also tried on some five stone options at Tiffany's in larger stone sizes, and these, too, were quite lovely.

Good luck deciding! I know that it can seem like many decisions to make for a relatively simple piece of jewelry!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1335827799|3184372 said:
Well, bem, I think we need pics!!! :appl:

Alright! Here are the two photos that Whiteflash sent me today. I won't actually have this necklace for a couple of weeks yet, so no modeling shots I'm afraid.

I'm also going to try and attach a photo that Whiteflash sent me when I was deciding on stone size - I found it to be quite helpful!

18k-Yellow-Gold-Diamond-Necklace-by-Whiteflash-32309-f.jpg

18k-Yellow-Gold-Diamond-Necklace-by-Whiteflash-32309-g.jpg

diamond sizes.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that is gorgeous, bem! I was thinking of making one just like that with rose gold! I love the contrast between the yg and the platinum bezels! The diamond size picture is immensely helpful!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Diamondseeker - I can't wait to see it. I was vacillating between ordering this and a 36" dbty 'sprinkle' style with three different sizes of stones, but in the end decided to order this as an 'anchor' piece first. If I am pleased with how this one turns out I will likely go ahead and order the longer one. I'd LOVE to see something like this in rose gold!!

Statefan42

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help. I made the final decision and have placed my order with Whiteflash.

Ended up doing 7 x .12 ACA in white gold. After much thought and discussion I stayed with the 16 inch length. She said if the chain is too short they can do an extender with or without diamond(s) so that she could wear it multiple ways. So I'm going to stick with 16" and if she wants the option to make it longer I'll have WF make the extender.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great choice! When will it be ready? Can't wait to see the glamour shots and then the neck shots!!! AND --- to hear how excited the lucky lady will be when she gets it! :))

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
csch79|1335971078|3185671 said:
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help. I made the final decision and have placed my order with Whiteflash.

Ended up doing 7 x .12 ACA in white gold. After much thought and discussion I stayed with the 16 inch length. She said if the chain is too short they can do an extender with or without diamond(s) so that she could wear it multiple ways. So I'm going to stick with 16" and if she wants the option to make it longer I'll have WF make the extender.

Whiteflash custom made me a DBTY 10 x .15 stones and it's 16" in length. I don't have a large neck, but I have found that it's a bit tighter than I would like (but not unwearable), so I had WF create a 2" extender with a jump ring in the middle. This will allow me to wear the necklace at 16, 17, or 18". They will be shipping it tomorrow and am excited to see how it works out!

BTW, you will LOVE your necklace!! :love:

Statefan42

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1336001312|3186112 said:
Great choice! When will it be ready? Can't wait to see the glamour shots and then the neck shots!!! AND --- to hear how excited the lucky lady will be when she gets it! :))

It is scheduled to ship on May 23rd. I think she is going to be excited when she sees it.

Whiteflash has been amazing so far. They have been very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

Statefan42

Rough_Rock
orbaya|1336009730|3186225 said:

Whiteflash custom made me a DBTY 10 x .15 stones and it's 16" in length. I don't have a large neck, but I have found that it's a bit tighter than I would like (but not unwearable), so I had WF create a 2" extender with a jump ring in the middle. This will allow me to wear the necklace at 16, 17, or 18". They will be shipping it tomorrow and am excited to see how it works out!

Please post about that extender once you have tried it. I'm interested to see how it works out.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
csch79|1336016980|3186354 said:

Please post about that extender once you have tried it. I'm interested to see how it works out.

Sure! I'll be picking it up tomorrow (Friday) and if you want I can take pictures of it attached to my necklace if you wanted a visual of how it will all look together. Here is the picture that WF sent me.

18k-White-Gold-Two-Inch-Cable-Chain-Extender-by-Whiteflash-32367-f.jpg

Statefan42

Rough_Rock
orbaya|1336056331|3186573 said:
csch79|1336016980|3186354 said:

Sure! I'll be picking it up tomorrow (Friday) and if you want I can take pictures of it attached to my necklace if you wanted a visual of how it will all look together. Here is the picture that WF sent me.

That would be great. How long did it take them to get that to you? Just curious.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I think I ordered the extender a week and half ago. I'm not in any rush to get it though so I didn't ask if they could do it more quickly. They do ship overnight, and I received a shipping confirmation this morning so I will get it tomorrow.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to update in regards to the extender since you requested it. :wink2:

It's working out wonderfully and I love having the flexibility to wear the necklace at 3 different lengths. It's also nice because I can lengthen other necklaces as well. :))

Statefan42

Rough_Rock
orbaya|1336389905|3189137 said:
I wanted to update in regards to the extender since you requested it. :wink2:

It's working out wonderfully and I love having the flexibility to wear the necklace at 3 different lengths. It's also nice because I can lengthen other necklaces as well. :))

Thanks for the update!

Is it pretty unnoticeable? I'm sure the chain may rotate itself around during the day a bit. The WF pictures make the clasp and everything look huge but I know that's just the magnification. Looks like a great plan and I will definitely give her that option when she tries it on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results