shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom setting: Does jeweler need actual diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

3Bridges

Rough_Rock
Last week I met with a custom goldsmith, recommended by my appraiser, to create a custom platinum setting for my 2 carat round diamond. I was impressed by his work but am hesitant to turn over the diamond (it is insured) to the jeweler for the 2 weeks he''ll need to create the ring. Am I being too freaked out about this -- or is this standard practice?

Thanks, in advance, for your comments!

reena

Ideal_Rock
hm, seems to me the jeweler is going to need your stone in order to craft the setting to fit it (not to mention to set it). experts?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A jeweler can work with an identically cut imitation, like CZ, but, in the end, someone will have to set the diamond, so you can't hold onto it then, anyway.

Your insurance probably would not cover you once the diamond is in the hands of a jeweler. The jeweler needs to have his own insurance to cover theft or loss while in his possession. If the diamond is damaged by the jeweler, your coverage will not generally protect you. The jeweler will be morally responsible but he probably has no insurance in place to cover that small possibility. I have never been able to buy such coverage. It is a matter of integrity and written understanding between you and the jeweler. Get it in writing befroe there is a problem.

reena

Ideal_Rock
dave and dave:

i'm curious about this insurance thing: what about chubb? my chubb policy has only a very few narrow exclusions, and none of them indicate that there would be no coverage if the stone is damaged during setting. what do you think?

reena

Ideal_Rock
agreed. thanks!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I am curious too, Reena. I also have Chubb, and although I have not read the fine print since I purchased the policy 5 years ago, I thought I was covered for just about any kind of loss. I'll need to check the policy again, but that would make me very uneasy about having anyone reset my diamond.
sick.gif

DiamondLil

slammie

Shiny_Rock
I have chubb, and my agent told me that it would be. It is not in print though...

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I may be a bit of a pessimist, but I don''t like to believe ANYTHING I don''t see in print, if you know what I mean. I''ve been duped on verbal agreements in the past. Time to pull out my policy and call my agent I think.
20.gif

DiamondLil

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/27/2004 4:35
6.gif
5 PM
Author:3Bridges
Last week I met with a custom goldsmith, recommended by my appraiser, to create a custom platinum setting for my 2 carat round diamond. I was impressed by his work but am hesitant to turn over the diamond (it is insured) to the jeweler for the 2 weeks he''ll need to create the ring. Am I being too freaked out about this -- or is this standard practice?

Thanks, in advance, for your comments!
When we create a custom ring we build the ring around the stones. While it is technically possible to take measurements and do the work without the stone, it is more difficult to do. We almost passed on two jobs yesterday when our client wanted to sit and watch us set the stones after her rings were ready because she did not trust anyone to be alone with her diamond.

After I handed her back her stones and told her no she asked what alternatives there were. I showed her the diamionds under the microscope so she could see the distinguishing charectoristics and told her that I would show them to her again when she picked the rings up. That took the fear of her diamonds being switched away. I would suggest that you do something similar with your jeweler, have him show you the stone(s) under the scope so that you are confident you can tell it from any other and then let the jeweler do his job. If you feel for any reason that you can not trust your jeweler with your stone(s), then it is time to find another jeweler. If he is not willing to take the steps necessary to help you trust him, then that would be a good reason to start looking for another jeweler.

Just my opinion of course.

Wink

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
The simple answer is that honest jewelers will be honest. Good goldsmiths rarely damage stones. Dishonest jewelers will find a way to cheat you, diamond switching is the rarest of cheated situations. Price and quality are much more common. If the appraiser suggested the store, and you have a cert on your diamond, you should be fine. If the jeweler is involved with the local jewelers association, has won awards for design, involved in local chamber of commerce, etc, they are more likely to want to make you happy and not have a bad name in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results