shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Jewelry Design Process with CAD by Wink Jones

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
From initial rendering to finished piece, Wink Jones illustrates the custom jewelry design process using CAD (Computer-aided design).

Custom Jewelry Design Process with CAD

Thanks, Wink! We appreciate your contribution to the Pricescope Journal.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great info!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the kind words.

As is customary in the Internet world, change is quick. While attending a Polygon conclave I met a CAD artist who can not only render the CAD's in white gold, but who makes videos of the proposed piece to send to clients. It also shows millgrain and bead setting, still not perfect, but way better than my previous artist. The quality of the artists and of the programs they use is in a constant state of flux and improvement.

All of the back and forth that I discussed in the article will still happen, but now it happens with less of a leap of faith on the part of the client, as they are able to see much better what the piece will look like.

It would seem that in another few years perfect projections will be possible. Life for both jewelers and consumers just keeps getting better and better!

Wink

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, I recognise that middle one too! Where is SC these days?

CAD video - why not? There must be a plugin for that :bigsmile:
Next step: rapid prototyping...

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yssie|1333489103|3162764 said:
Hey, I recognise that middle one too! Where is SC these days?

CAD video - why not? There must be a plugin for that :bigsmile:
Next step: rapid prototyping...

LOL, just seeing this now, missed it when you wrote it. Took me a minute to figure out you were asking about Stone Cold. I do not know where he is, but I remember the pleasure of delivering the finished piece that met his expectations, that was a LONG project from start to finish.

I know nothing about plugins, but we have the videos, and I am pretty sure that some of the bigger houses have rapid prototyping too. For only 20k or so (and up) you can get a machine to literally grow waxes out of a vat of liquid one molecule or so at a time. It allows you to create waxes that could never be made in any other way.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results