shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Specs--How Do They Look? K Color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, All!

Okay, so many of you know our search for the perfect yellow sapphire for my e-ring just ended with our decision to purchase a cushion diamond, instead. Now that we''re on the diamond hunt I am so very excited.

I spoke with Mark at ERD and he''s looking for stones for us, but of course I can''t help myself from doing searches on my own. :)

I''m new to the diamond purchasing world, but I''ve read a bit on here about fluorescence and how MB to SB can have a positive effect on a low colored stone. As I am an unabashed size whore, we really want to get the largest cushion possible for our budget while still getting a great looking stone (who doesn''t?).

We''ve set the budget at 10 to 12K for the stone.

Now, what do you think of these specs?

Shape : Cushion
Carats : 2.40
Cut Grade : Premium
Color Grade : K
Clarity Grade : VS2
Certificate No. : 15770754
Measurement : 8.64x7.35x4.95
Ratio : 1.18
Depth : 67.3
Table : 57
Girdle : M-VTK
Culet : Small
Polish : Very Good
Symmetry : Very Good
Certification : GIA
Fluorescence : MB

Does anyone have a K with MB stone set in platinum? If so, want to share some pictures?

As always, thank you for all of your help!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 11:06:58 PM
Author:Haven
Hi, All!

Okay, so many of you know our search for the perfect yellow sapphire for my e-ring just ended with our decision to purchase a cushion diamond, instead. Now that we''re on the diamond hunt I am so very excited.

I spoke with Mark at ERD and he''s looking for stones for us, but of course I can''t help myself from doing searches on my own. :)

I''m new to the diamond purchasing world, but I''ve read a bit on here about fluorescence and how MB to SB can have a positive effect on a low colored stone. As I am an unabashed size whore, we really want to get the largest cushion possible for our budget while still getting a great looking stone (who doesn''t?).

We''ve set the budget at 10 to 12K for the stone.

Now, what do you think of these specs?

Shape : Cushion
Carats : 2.40
Cut Grade : Premium
Color Grade : K
Clarity Grade : VS2
Certificate No. : 15770754
Measurement : 8.64x7.35x4.95
Ratio : 1.18
Depth : 67.3
Table : 57
Girdle : M-VTK
Culet : Small
Polish : Very Good
Symmetry : Very Good
Certification : GIA
Fluorescence : MB

Does anyone have a K with MB stone set in platinum? If so, want to share some pictures?

As always, thank you for all of your help!
since you were looking for a yellow sapphire.... what *I* would do is drop even lower and see if I could find a stone LMNO. Storm and I have talked about this.... and it is almost like you need to drop a bit lower to make the color look intentional. And IMO my *dream* stone would be in that color range... I''m not super fond of the intense yellows, but I love the cape stones (of course being in that range could mean different things - it could mean pinkish brown or it could mean greenish yellow or it could mean brownish yellow or it could mean apricotish. I would insist on a wonderful cut but my goodness.... I would love to have a lightly hued apricot colored diamond that was a deal because it was big and in that "unwanted" range.

Other than that I think the specs look fine. I might want the table smaller if it were an antique style but that''s splitting hairs really.... its still under 60. It might be facing up a little smaller than another stone the same weight might, but the depth isn''t a problem so it might mean a bigger crown.... of course I don''t know though. My stone is 2.71 and is aprox 9.5x7.5 which is quite a bit more face up for .3 carats. My stone is also a LOW J and I love it.... though sometimes I wish it had more color. It is a slightly brownish yellow which to my eye really plays off the antique look of the stone. But an orangey-yellow-brown in the LMNO range? Make me shiver!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think K is going to be a weird color for you. I agree with Cehra in trying for an ACTUAL yellowish stone. K for me is too warm to be a white and too blah to be yellow in a cushion. Remember, cushions show color a lot more than rounds.

Otherwise specs look ok, but honestly, just let Mark work his magic. He will find a perfect stone for you and you will drive yourself nuts looking on your own.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 11:36:16 PM
Author: neatfreak
I think K is going to be a weird color for you. I agree with Cehra in trying for an ACTUAL yellowish stone. K for me is too warm to be a white and too blah to be yellow in a cushion. Remember, cushions show color a lot more than rounds.

Otherwise specs look ok, but honestly, just let Mark work his magic. He will find a perfect stone for you and you will drive yourself nuts looking on your own.
I wouldn''t go so far as to say it was weird or blah.... it is very subtle antique look..... I say yellowish brown but it really is mostly clear LOL

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh, two owners of my favorite cushions responded already!

Thanks, ladies.

I never even considered looking for an LMNO stone; to be honest I wasn''t sure vendors sold stones in the middle ranges--I just assumed it was a D through K stone, or a fancy yellow. I know, I know, assuming doesn''t do anyone any good.

Neatfreak you are so right about letting Mark do his magic, I am already driving myself crazy. I finish my last summer course tomorrow, and I have yet to start working on my final presentation slides because I''ve been staring at diamond specs all night.

Must.let.Mark.work.his.magic.
Must.be.patient.

AAAH! It is really really hard. We''ve been looking for an ering for over EIGHT months, and I am not at all a patient gal, especially when jewelry is involved. Talk about fixating.

Thanks again, ladies!

Any other opinions?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Haven,
if it will make you feel better I was the same as you; I couldn't wait to have my stone in my hot little hands.
Hang in there; it will be worth the wait. I have seen what Mark comes up w/and it is gorgeous.
9.gif

jayrenay9

Brilliant_Rock
Have you checked out Diamonds By Lauren? He carries yellow diamonds of all ranges.

Good luck! I hope you can find the biggest possible diamond for you budget and look forward to the pictures!

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
Hi Haven,

K colors in cushions can look wonderful especially if its cut like an antique style cushion! In the modern styles I do think the color will show more (much like in a radiant). That being said I have seen some k color radiants and cushions look amazing with medium blue fluorescence.

Happy Hunting,

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I *did* make the assumption that this was a modern cushion, and if so, I stick with my thoughts about the K. If it''s an antique cushion and it''s undertones are yellow, it could be a nice color. BUT I have seen a lot of antique stones lately with brown/gray undertones in the J-K range and I didn''t care for the appearance. So it''s a gamble for me personally to go to this range unless you can see it in person.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the support Skip, I am so impatient!

JayRenay--I have looked at Diamonds by Lauren, thanks for the reference. There are some drool-worthy rings on that site!

Sean--Thank you for the feedback, I didn''t know that there were specific cut types I should be looking for when it comes to the effect color has on a cushion.

Neatfreak--I definitely don''t want any brown/gray undertones in the stone!

Thanks again, guys. I''ll post more info as soon as I hear back from Mark T. Until then I''m sure I''ll be searching my little heart out!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look up Tiger007''s thread ... I think her cushion is a K or even L/M ... and it is one of my ALL TIME FAVES.

I saw a 3 carat "K" colored asscher with fluor that I considered -- it really looked great ... and antique shapes & antique settings find of lend themselves to deeper colored stones.

And don''t rule out grey undertones w/o seeing it first -- they can be LOVELY & silverish ... very nice with a platinum setting.

tigeragainthisweek.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is Tiger007g''s thread about her "M"(!!!) colored OMC.

What a phenomenal BEAUTY it is!!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco--Tiger''s cushion is gorgeous! I actually saw it a while ago but didn''t even realize it was an M. Wow, thanks for the link!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2007 11:11:19 PM
Author: Haven
Deco--Tiger''s cushion is gorgeous! I actually saw it a while ago but didn''t even realize it was an M. Wow, thanks for the link!
you might even want to consider qrstuvwxyz range if you''d like some yellow AND some bargain AND some size AND some diamond ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results