shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion halo setting... now to find the cushion!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
Okay... found the setting... now I just need the perfect rock. Cushions make my head hurt. This is from a local small shop in Santa Monica - great work - but I think I''ll find a better center stone online. Other than not wanting the crushed ice style cushion, I''m not sure what to look for next.

10.gif

23rd-ring.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought of Jonathan at Good Old Gold? He has gorgeous cushions he deigned himself.
1.gif

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous setting and I 2nd Jonathan. There is a waiting list though for the Signature Cushions. If interested, call or email soon.

I too am interested in a cushion and selected a setting (halo as well) before choosing a stone. Glad I am not alone in the ass-backwards process.

Have fun with the hunt and can't wait to see the completed ring!

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous setting. Is that from 23 street Jewelers? If so, they do amazing work. They can probably source a stone for you. But if you want to buy online, it is true that the signature GOG chunky cushions are amazing. But you may have quite a wait for one. If you''re in more of a time crunch, I would think about contact Mark Turnowski at Engagement Rings Direct for a cushion and tell him what you want.

He has built some amazing rings for pricescopers including the legendary "Winnie". He can probably also build you a setting like that for a lot less than 23rd street (don''t get me wrong I almost got my ring from 23rd street but we found a better deal elsewhere for a very lovely ring in the end).

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes, it''s from 23rd street. Her prices didn''t seem that out of line though... she''s having a "sale" right now.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a gorgeous setting! I would check out a few more vendors if price is at all a concern for you. When I compared 23rd Street to other vendors I found them
to be quite a bit more. If it is not an issue, it looks wonderful! I love the look of that setting. I think Mark T at ERD has made one very similar. Great taste!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I found the settings at 23rd jewelers outstanding but expensive. The sales associate that I worked with knew nothing about cushions - she kept telling me a modified brillant cushion that looked like crushed ice was a chunky cushion and gorgeous. I tried explaining to her but she didn''t get it. She had no idea what I wanted. I am still waiting for them to get back to me on their search .. it has only been like 7 months.

Oh wait .. while I was waiting, I got a gorgeous OMC from GOG who responds to my email daily and follows-up regularly. Mark at ERD is also wonderful to work with. I have experience with both of companies.

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
I just bought a gorgeous old mine cut brilliant from ERD- mark had some beautiful antique cushion cuts to show me as well in his office
you should call him- i dont know what size you are looking for but he had a variety. GOG has some nice stone but many of them are lower color, size etc. and while i know you can get something custom cut at GOG, Mark had a great selection of readily available stones that i am sure you think are gorgeous!

let me know how it goes !:)

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
I talked to Mark - he found the following for me - but it's hard to tell from a photo for me. Maybe you all can help a bit with some advice based on the specs.

1.7 ct - Cushion Brilliant
H
VS2
7.54 x 6.78 x 4.47
polish - very good
symmetry - good
Flourescence - none
Crown angles greater than 40 degrees

table 52%
depth 65.9%
very thin to very thick faceted

=================================================

** I really like the August cushions from Good old Gold, but it sounds like it's a LONG wait for one.

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
looks nice- table specs look good and the depth- i bet a beauty! i trust him

here is my Old mine cut brilliant
2.60 ct
specs to come
in person it''s bright and beautiful- mark knows cushions but his pix generally do not do the rocks justice!:)

oops- i cant attach it- have to reduce size of picture

will do after meeting!

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here is the photo... I wonder how this would compare with one of the GOG August cushions??

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
guess the file was too large... trying again

stone-3.jpg

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
faceting looks nice- i think you need a few more pix to see- i didnt see anything in the gog inventory with similiar specs-

here is my old mine cut brilliant from mark

omc brilliant.JPG

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
I think the faceting looks great. The photo quality is really dark. An H should appear much whiter than that in person. Can you see if he can get some better pics for you or even a video (not sure if he does those)?

I personally love the shape, but if you want it to look like the ring you have pictured, you may want to shoot for a cushion that is less elongated as I assume you will want to set it north south as opposed to east west as it is in the picture.

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
Same stone... just from another view.

Mark-Stone-3.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
It''s a pretty stone. One question - were you looking for a square stone?

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
2nd time-
i think it looks like a beauty- i love the shape, i love the faceting pattern
in person i am sure it''s beautiful
mark''s pix are traditonally dark- i know for a fact in person, you will love the stone

i can always run over and look at it for you! i have to give Mark a check for mine (i am in nyc)

it will look great in the setting you like (which is beautiful)

let me know if you want me to eyeball it for you :)

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
Wow Supercheeks - that would be great! Thank you!! :)

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
let me see if i can get over there tomorrow
is this the color range/price you want to hover in? just checking in case he has other things that i could compare it to...

let me know
i looked on GOG site and it looks like they have not much in this range -

i think this one could be a winner and i am VERY picky!

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
It seems like a great rock for the dollar value. I wanted to be at least G/H, but the cut is even more important to me. I want the chunky facet style for sure.

I do like the GOG vintage rocks, but he doesn''t have any and there is a waiting list. I don''t really feel like waiting if I don''t need to.

Picky is good! Can''t wait to hear from you after you''ve seen it.

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
Tell Mark - it''s the stone for Steven in Los Angeles.

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
mark''s stones are just as nice as GOG''s- mark has been sourcing these stones for YEARS and is an expert on them - so dont feel like you are missing out on something at GOG- truth is, it''s hard to find nice ones- i went to all the vendors here to find an omc or chunky cushion and found like 2 stones that were not so hot- mark had the best selection and it was immediate gratification :)

i will go over tomorrow and will let you know

mark had a 2.75 H VS that i looked at and a 2.20 something F VS1- i didnt look at under 2 cts but i will ask him if he has anything else for comparison sake

did he say he had anything else- if he says no, i understand since the chunky ones are hard to find and the crushed looking cushion that have that look of a radiant are a dime a dozen -

will keep u posted

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
He sent me 3 - this seemed like the best bang for the buck.

This one is 1.7 H

The other two he sent:
1.57 G (a grand more than the 1.7)
1.75 F (150% more $ than the 1.7)

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here they are visually...

bling copy.jpg

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
i love #3 and will compare to #2- dont love #1

going there tomorrow - will get right back to you!

i think#3 in the pic looks like it sort of is slumped over- i think it''s the angle- will do a total "once over" tomorrow :)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The symmetry of # 3 would bother me, personally. It''s a nice stone otherwise.

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
i think it''s the way it was shot= scroll up= the same stone not slumped on it''s side= the symmetry looks fine

to be honest many of the antique cushions do not have perfect symmetry...i have looked at tons of stones and had another OMC where the symmetry wasnt perfect and once it was set, it looked perfect

will let u know tomorrow what i think in person

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I like #2 best. I know Mark is soon going to have a very pretty 1.52 G VS1 in his hands that will be fore sale. :razz:

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
Looking forward to the report! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results