carat
color
clarity

New Cushion Cut Articles from ERD and GOG

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks coatimundi as well as all PS'rs,

Of all the shapes that pass through our lab I don't think more variety in cutting styles exist than what we see in cushion shapes. To be able to correlate their optics with ASET's has been a long and ongoing study of ours now for about 7 years. There is a very short segment of bonus footage, which has been added to the article, where we took the diamonds in that study into natural daylight as well, which viewers may find helpful.

If anyone has any questions whatsoever regarding the videos or the topic please feel free to ask.

Kindest regards,
Rhino

grantmcgrath

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Thanks for the article. I was wondering though whether the GIA may still class a diamond with a crushed ice internal appearance as a cushion brilliant cut? I have placed a deposit on a cushion cut diamond before seeing it (stupid I know) and it the certificate is from 2007 before the naming conventions changed. The diamond actually has a crushed ice appearance but is classed as a "cushion brilliant" on the certificate. Would this definitely change if we were to have it re-certified?
Thanks

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Grant,

Thanks for your question. The short answer is no. The reason is because the crushed ice appearance (watery or bright) is not caused specifically by the facet structure of the cushion alone but it's overall proportions/geometry.

Ie. You can get that appearance in cushion brilliant, cushion modified and it also wouldn't matter if the diamond had a modern splintery facet structure or a vintage facet structure. Crushed ice appearance can happen in all of them.

GIA's nomenclature primarly discerns between a basic 57/58 faceted cushion or one with extra facets (usually on the pavilion) which would give it the "cushion modified" designation and has nothing to do with optical properties of the diamond.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Rhino

grantmcgrath|1343364828|3241189 said:
Hi,
Thanks for the article. I was wondering though whether the GIA may still class a diamond with a crushed ice internal appearance as a cushion brilliant cut? I have placed a deposit on a cushion cut diamond before seeing it (stupid I know) and it the certificate is from 2007 before the naming conventions changed. The diamond actually has a crushed ice appearance but is classed as a "cushion brilliant" on the certificate. Would this definitely change if we were to have it re-certified?
Thanks

focusr3

Rough_Rock
I saw a cushion cut stone today that I have never heard off or seen and was looking for some insight. It is being called a step cut cushion. Any idea?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results