shape
carat
color
clarity

compare apples and oranges 1 h and 1e

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tdha

Rough_Rock
I am still torn what about these two?

1) round
E
VS1
excellent cut
excellent symmetry
very good polish

table 57
depth 62.6
crown angle 35
pav angle 41
no cutlet

2)round
H
VS2
excellent cut
very good polish
excellent symmetry
faint fluor

table 56
depth 61.3
crown angle 34.5
pav 40.8
no culet
H&A

Both GIA. The big thing here is color, and a $15K price difference. I''m just having a hard time getting the H stone to be mind clean. I look forward to your repsonses!!!

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
No the big thing here is not the color difference, it is the cut difference.
The first has steep deep angles which saves more rough material so the maker can get higher profits, and gets an HCA score of only 2.5.
Unfortunately GIA lets the cutters get away with this by allowing these to be rated excellent cut.
It cooks my goose that the non-profit GIA is in bed with the industry they are supposed to be policing, but what do I know?

The second gets HCA = 1.2 and is much better cut, but how can these be $15,000 apart?

tdha

Rough_Rock
maybe I just don''t see the cut difference when I am looking at them. I wish I could I see color. I have no idea why the huge price difference, you got me. It is "collection quality"

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
Just echoing the above on HCA scores

The E diamond has HCA score = 2.5:
Light Return :Very Good
Fire : Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread: Very Good

The H diamond has HCA score = 1.2
Light Return :Excellent
Fire : Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread: Very Good

From this I would gather that the H stone is more ideally cut and would appear more sparkly. Also the fact that the H diamond is H& A also indicates its brilliance in cut. I would take this diamond over the other. The faint fluorescence added to the H color would also make it appear more whiter. So I don''t think color should be a consideration.

Which is the more expensive diamond?

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are they from the same vendor?

EDT:

I am betting the E VS1 is the more expensive one. Right?

tdha

Rough_Rock
The E is the more expensive. I just did a search on blue nile and the price for the more expensive stone just doesn''t add up to me. I wish the color issue was not one for me. Maybe it is a head trip. I went to Tiffany''s today and I couldn''t tell the difference between the g and h color. I could spot the I and the D though. I just don''t want to spend this kind of money and see color in my stone say when I am driving down the street and think, buyers remorse!

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some tiffany cuts may not be ideal cuts and those show color more easily.

I would go for H VS2, better cut stone. Cheaper too.

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/16/2008 3:59:13 PM
Author: tdha
The E is the more expensive. I just did a search on blue nile and the price for the more expensive stone just doesn''t add up to me. I wish the color issue was not one for me. Maybe it is a head trip. I went to Tiffany''s today and I couldn''t tell the difference between the g and h color. I could spot the I and the D though. I just don''t want to spend this kind of money and see color in my stone say when I am driving down the street and think, buyers remorse!
If you''re very worried about color and mind-cleanliness, you may want to try looking for something in the F-G range. Just don''t sacrifice on the cut quality, which is critical to a diamond''s appearance.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a super-cut diamond from Whiteflash, a great vendor with excellent info online, a money-back trial period, and excellent customer service and a trade up policy.

2.22 ct G VS2 with an HCA score of 1.7.
It is also graded by AGS, which has rigid grading standards and a smaller cut rating bullseye than GIA.

If you mention Pricescope you can get it for $37,146.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1151316.htm

tdha

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I just talked to my husband. We are going to either take the H stone or tell him to call us when he finds a F-G with as good of a cut. You guys have been invaluable in this process for me.

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
Also, some tips:
-remember an awesomely cut lower color grade of diamond may appear whiter than a poorly cut higher color grade of diamond.
-view the diamond in different lighting conditions. It is sometimes hard to tell a difference with ''store lights''.
- if you are unsure of how good a diamond might be, run it''s specs thru the HCA (Holloway Cut Advisor) tool in the tools bar at the top of the page. This tool can be used to reject diamonds ( a score above 2 should be rejected).
- Check the presence of hearts and arrows through a scope ( at the vendor). Note a diamond that is ideally cut may also have H&A but may not be advertised as such.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results