shape
carat
color
clarity

Collaborative Tutorial Update - Grading Reports

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dear all,

It is a long time since we did a Tutorial refresh.
Andrey, PS Admin, and I want to try a collaborative work session - one topic at a time.

It might work - and it might get out of hand, but we will give it a try?

I will make the final edit, and "You Vill All Like IT !!"
(We did this for the HCA explanation page a couple of years back, and it went well)

This is what we have - chop and play kids!!!

It is a good idea to buy a diamond with an independent grading report (or cert), like those shown.

Grading reports do not give a value; appraisals do that. They give an independent expert opinion on quality for loose or unset gems. Most grading institutes have labs or services worldwide and do not sell diamonds.

There can be slight differences in the grades and prices of the same diamonds graded and priced by different labs. See also Diamond Grading Labs and Pricing and GRADING LABORATORY SURVEY

More GIA diamonds are listed on the internet. IGI and EGL certified diamonds are common in stores; these labs bundle appraisal and grading services together. Appraisals go out of date, but unless the diamond is damaged, the cert should be good forever. Store it in a safe place.

Internet Diamond Listings July 2004
GIA........72.9%
EGL........22.8%
AGS........2.5%
IGI........1.4%
HRD........0.4%

If you plan to buy a diamond on the internet, ask the vendor to firstly send your stone to an independent appraiser to ensure it matches its Grading Report and possibly make an insurance appraisal. Stones can be switched, deceitfully or accidentally and honest vendors will happily do this. The appraiser will then ship the stone to you, or back to the vendor to set the stone into a mount.

Click below for the grading report details:
AGA - CERT Example. Full Sarin cut information
AGS Diamond Quality Document. Full Sarin cut information
EGL-USA Diamond Certificate. % Sarin cut information
GIA Diamond Grading Report (2006-Present). Rounded Sarin cut information
IGI Diamond Report. Some with full, some %.

Carat Weight »

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yuck that is bad...

ok here goes...

Grading reports:
The first thing you need too know is that the labs do not certify anything they give an opinion of what the grade of the diamond is on their system.
There is also not a uniform codified grading system and a D from one lab may not be the same as another labs. (link too Diamond Grading Labs and Pricing and GRADING LABORATORY SURVEY)
This makes it hard for consumers to weed through the report mine field.
The best way to do this is stick to the respected labs and or have the grading confirmed by an independent professional appraiser who is working for you. (see independent appraiser section)
In the industry GIA, AGS and in Europe HRD are considered the most respected labs but keep in mind they work for the industry not you.
EGL-Usa is considered by many to grade at an acceptable level while some other EGL labs are considered soft.

There are also some smaller labs that are well respected some examples include (insert examples).

The main thing too keep in mind that if 2 diamonds of the same grade have a widely different price there is a reason and finding out why is the smart thing too do.

What is included on grading reports:
Caret weight (link to section)
Color grade (link too color dsection)
Clarity grade (link too clarity section)
Information on the stones dimensions. (link to measurements section)
Some labs also provide a cut grade of varying quality and usefulness.
(link too cut grading section)

Below are some example reports:

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Garry,

The only specific suggestion is to consider adding a paragraph to show that you''re zooming in on the universe of diamonds when you say...

Date: 11/15/2007 12:05:51 AM
Author:Garry H (Cut Nut)

More GIA diamonds are listed on the internet. IGI and EGL certified diamonds are common in stores; these labs bundle appraisal and grading services together.
Basically...you might consider beginning by looking at the Universe first, which I think JQ is trying to do here.

This may mean adding a paragraph or sentence actually above this line I''ve captured above, which contextualizes the bigger universe, and then...you can perhaps eliminate in the captured paragraph your comment that IGI & EGL are for stores.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Make the list of grading report samples match the list of reports that people are likely to encounter. This means drop the sample from AGA and add one from HRD (or possibly drop HRD from the above list as being to small a presence online to matter). Consider listing EGL International and EGL-USA separately. In your samples, consider including Pre-2006 GIA and pre-2005 AGS, there are still a lot of those out there. Consider mentioning the other major products from GIA, AGS and the EGL’s complete with samples of what the ''genuine'' reports look like and circles and arrows or a paragraph to point out what is, and what is not, described on the report. It is not correct that all Sarin information is included in the AGS DQD. The comments about rounding, Sarin info etc. should be on the page about each particular report.

If you’re going to mention Sarin, have a section or a link that explains what that is. This might be a good place to mention the services of some of the smaller and more specialized labs like Imagem and GCAL.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ImaGem is not a lab, at least not in the USA. They do have an operation in Surat, India primarily to introduce the technology, but not to create a GIA type of grading empire. The thought was to put the technology out in the open so diamond dealers and sight holders could test it out. It has not gotten large but it is still in operation, but it is fully ready to grade volumes of diamonds via automation whenever the market begins to give such technology a higher degree of acceptance.

My two labs, AGA and DGLA along with EGL-USA are using or introducing ImaGem Light Behavior technology mostly to the trade and through the trade to the eventual consumer. At AGA we do grading for the public directly and a small number of consumers are asking for ImaGem grading. The demand for this must be built with a lot of care and patience. Dealers say they will adopt such a program if anyone asks for it. Retailers also say much the same thing and also have problems with the increased time it will take to explain it to already confused customers. The easy sales are made with so little effort and so little education that most retailers just don''t want to think how much more effort will be required to pass on Light Behavior information. DGLA has found a very major retailing chain that has committed to making this effort on a broad scale. Their 700+ stores are meeting with success and surely their product is differentiated from others by this technology. Still, it isn''t for every customer or every sale. It is somewhat complex and it does take time to explain.

I don''t care if AGA is included in the listing or in this thread. Between my two labs we impact about 25,000 consumers a year. It sounds like a lot, but compared to GIA it isn''t a large number. Rapaport is going to be publishing an article by me and ImaGem in January, I believe, which covers what I''ve been simmering in the pot since 1986 and before on cut grade analysis. Its only now coming to a boil where the trade is taking notice. If I was 21 years ahead of the game back then, I''ll be 81 when things really take off. At that point it won''t make a lot of difference to me. My hope is that the thought that has gone into the discussion and grading of diamond cut will have made a substantive difference to tens of thousands of consumers over the years and that it will all be viewed in the positive way I''d wish for.

Garry''s idea to renew the details about major lab reports is a timely one. Many of the major labs have changed formats and levels of disclosure in the past two or three years. I won''t say each has done as good a job as the other. There are notable differences. Being large is not as special as being good, yet it is human nature to equate size with something positive which often fails to be the true case. You can''t judge a book by its cover no more than a grading report by who printed it.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have a file folder of.... below "third-tier" level "lab reports" that should be noted in a class by themselves.

The title should make the buyer beware and to exercise extreme caution before making a purchase.

Jeff Averbook, GG (since 1986)
Graduate Gemologist/Appraiser

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2007 8:11:40 AM
Author: denverappraiser
Make the list of grading report samples match the list of reports that people are likely to encounter. This means drop the sample from AGA and add one from HRD (or possibly drop HRD from the above list as being to small a presence online to matter). Consider listing EGL International and EGL-USA separately. In your samples, consider including Pre-2006 GIA and pre-2005 AGS, there are still a lot of those out there. Consider mentioning the other major products from GIA, AGS and the EGL’s complete with samples of what the ''genuine'' reports look like and circles and arrows or a paragraph to point out what is, and what is not, described on the report. It is not correct that all Sarin information is included in the AGS DQD. The comments about rounding, Sarin info etc. should be on the page about each particular report.

If you’re going to mention Sarin, have a section or a link that explains what that is. This might be a good place to mention the services of some of the smaller and more specialized labs like Imagem and GCAL.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Please include HRD - those of us in Europe would like more info on them!
Thanks

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Storm

Date: 11/15/2007 12:42:13 AM
Author: strmrdr
I have edited it a little and made a few quick comments

Grading reports: we should say something about what labs are
Firstly labs do not "certify" diamonds, they give an opinion of what the grade of the diamond is according to that particular lab''s rules and system.

There are no unified standards. A ''D'' color from one lab may be anothers ''E''. (link too Diamond Grading Labs and Pricing and GRADING LABORATORY SURVEY)
This makes it hard for you so stick to the respected labs or know that a diamond that costs less with a less respected report can be confirmed by an independent professional appraiser who is paid by you. (see independent appraiser section)

In the industry GIA, AGS and in Europe HRD graded diamonds tend to fetch higher prices, but grading reports will not tell you which diamond is the most beautiful. EGL-Usa is considered more highly by many than some other EGL labs.

There are many smaller labs that are well respected some examples include (insert examples).

The main thing too keep in mind that if 2 diamonds of the same grade have a widely different price there is a reason and finding out why is the smart thing too do.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Ira I think in about 50% of the cases when you link off (which is usually about 5 times per post) it might be acceptable for you to copy and paste the comment that is relevant as well as a link when context is important? It could be a seperate discussion? e.g. often I work off line and read several posts in a cafe with no connection.

Date: 11/15/2007 6:54:42 AM
Author: Regular Guy
Garry,

The only specific suggestion is to consider adding a paragraph to show that you''re zooming in on the universe of diamonds when you say...

Date: 11/15/2007 12:05:51 AM
Author:Garry H (Cut Nut)

More GIA diamonds are listed on the internet. IGI and EGL certified diamonds are common in stores; these labs bundle appraisal and grading services together.
Basically...you might consider beginning by looking at the Universe first, which I think JQ is trying to do here.

This may mean adding a paragraph or sentence actually above this line I''ve captured above, which contextualizes the bigger universe, and then...you can perhaps eliminate in the captured paragraph your comment that IGI & EGL are for stores.
John Pollard wrote:-
IGI is actually the world''s largest.
EGL is also vast.
GIA is global, but more elite diamonds are sent there.
AGS'' presence is largely in North America and they grade a fraction of the diamonds the others do.

Think of grading labs like universities. IGI and EGL are like large statewide universities. GIA is like an Ivy League school and AGS is like the MIT advanced rocket-science program. As a manufacturer I will send each diamond (student) to the place he or she will have most success. The average to good ones -most- go off to the large universities (IGI/EGL). The fewer, more elite ones with the ability to score high or with a specialty are sent to the Ivy League (GIA). A few I know to be worthy of passing the rigors of rocket-science -these will be sold to NASA- will go to MIT (AGS).

A few at the bottom of the pile go to city college (Joe''s Bar & Grading Lab).

The above is meant as humor, but there is a parallel logic: The path a diamond takes from cutter to lab to seller is chosen on-purpose based on a number of factors which include the target market and knowing how well (or not) a diamond will score at one lab vs the next.
John

John Pollard
Director of Consumer Education

I do not entirely agree. Many diamonds are graded by 2 or more labs and the nasty paper is binned. I think it is fair to tell newbies that. What is latin for buyer beware?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/15/2007 8:11:40 AM

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
We get a few requests for info about hRD Neil. I agree we should also cover GCAL and other boutiques like AGA - but maybe we list them with a link to a seperate page rather than cause a high drop off rate.

Likewise perhaps we should have seperate links to glossary descriptions like feather, cloud, laser groove etc??

Maybe there could be a graphic with simple word explanations for each part as you describe that also link off to seperate pages explaining say differences between GIA and AGS girdle thickness, spread info etc?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’ve got no problem with either HRD or AGA. They’re fine labs. I’m looking at the above stats that 0.4% of the online stones come with HRD paperwork and 0.0% come with AGA. There are literally dozens of first-rate labs that people might encounter in their shopping and even more that aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on. Many labs have several different products that contain considerably different information and there are several cases, especially EGL-USA and EGL-International where the similarity of names causes a great deal of confusion.

For a reasonably thorough tutorial, I think you should include.
GIA – 2 important flavors currently available on colorless diamonds.
AGS – 3 flavors
IGI (because there are so many in the stores) – I don’t know them well enough to really know how many variations they have but it’s quite a few.
EGL International – I don’t know what all they have but it’s quite a bit.
EGL USA – 5 or 6 flavors
HRD – 2 flavors (maybe more)

The above 20 or so products from 6 labs covers 99% of what people are likely to encounter. I would link off to a page, or several pages, about each lab including pictures of what the various products look like. How to handle minor labs I’m not sure. PGS is an example of a quality lab offering national service that would fall here. I would put AGA, AGR (my lab), SGL (Richard Sherwood’s lab), DCLA, possibly GCAL and several others into this category. There are far too many to itemize the list and some thought should go into how this is described. A lot of these are regional labs that have a decent presence in their own area but little presence in the national or international market. This doesn’t make them less accurate or less useful but it’s a decidedly different sort of service.

Supplemental reports from the likes of GCAL, Gemex, Sarin and others I think should handled as a separate section. I put GCAL here because I don’t recall ever seeing a client with a GCAL report that didn’t receive it as an addition to one issued by GIA or AGS with the intention of delivering additional information that wasn’t contained on the original report. I would probably avoid any serious discussion here of the usefulness of the various reports and just point out what they look like and what sorts of information they contain.

Vanity certs is a 4th area that I think needs discussion. Obviously there is some overlap with the above and there’s no obvious way to draw the line. Some documents are just total BS but look pretty official.

Lastly, branded certs I think deserves a mention. This would be Tiffany, Isee2 and other house generated products where they are backed by a particular retailer or manufacturer, which gives them a certain amount of value, but no one else has them.

Linking off to explain the terms used is a good idea. Although the differences is grading approach and scales used by the various labs is an important topic and needs to appear in the tutorial, I think maybe it is it's own section by itself. This is a huge can 'o worms.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Also, Garry...you didn''t ask...but consider a page zero...serving as an introduction.

You''ve got here in this tutorial a style resembling the re-ordering of the Encycopedia Britanica into two sets of info...the Macropedia (part I) and the Micropedia (part II). I''ve found landing into your first page on grading reports a bit odd...sort of like starting in the middle of some soup.

An intro page might again lead up to where you''re ending in part I...giving you some perspective that if you''d like to know what to buy...this is designed to give you some useful info towards that.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2007 1:18:45 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Thanks Storm

Date: 11/15/2007 12:42:13 AM
Author: strmrdr
I have edited it a little and made a few quick comments

Grading reports:
Grading reports are issued by many labs. These labs are hired and paid for by the trade too give an opinion of the diamonds charactoristics.
There is no unified or international standards body or goverment standard system for grading diamonds.
The labs do not ''certify'' diamonds, they give an opinion of what the grade of the diamond is according to that particular lab''s rules and system.

A ''D'' color from one lab may be anothers ''E''. (link too Diamond Grading Labs and Pricing and GRADING LABORATORY SURVEY)
This makes it hard for you so stick to the respected labs or know that a diamond that costs less with a less respected report can be confirmed by an independent professional appraiser who is paid by you. (see independent appraiser section)

In the industry GIA, AGS and in Europe HRD graded diamonds tend to fetch higher prices, but grading reports will not tell you which diamond is the most beautiful. EGL-Usa is considered more highly by many than some other EGL labs.

There are many smaller labs that are well respected some examples include (insert examples).

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2007 1:30:28 AM

We get a few requests for info about hRD Neil. I agree we should also cover GCAL and other boutiques like AGA - but maybe we list them with a link to a seperate page rather than cause a high drop off rate.

Likewise perhaps we should have seperate links to glossary descriptions like feather, cloud, laser groove etc??

Maybe there could be a graphic with simple word explanations for each part as you describe that also link off to seperate pages explaining say differences between GIA and AGS girdle thickness, spread info etc?
yes it needs too be in seperate sections from easy to hard.
Pictures of inclusions is needed as well as a discussion of duribility and factors that affect it in later chapters.
The main section needs too be easy yet informative and not too scary.
More of an outline of what it is about with enough information that someone who doesnt dig deeper has a fair chance of dealing with what will come up in a sale
Finding that balance is the hard part.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wouldn''t you also add a reminder to consumers, that they are in the process of buying a diamond, and not a grading report? Each diamond is different from the other in some way, although the paper might consider them equal.

Live long,

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/17/2007 3:20:18 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
Wouldn''t you also add a reminder to consumers, that they are in the process of buying a diamond, and not a grading report? Each diamond is different from the other in some way, although the paper might consider them equal.

Live long,
Nicely said..., I am with you on that one...

Also..., maybe add which labs are non-for-profit..., and which ones are for profit....
31.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/18/2007 3:19:34 AM
Author: DiaGem

Live long,

Also..., maybe add which labs are non-for-profit..., and which ones are for profit....
31.gif
Non profit or not for profit?

DG what would you say was the most strict lab?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/18/2007 4:29:48 AM

Date: 11/18/2007 3:19:34 AM
Author: DiaGem

Live long,

31.gif
Non profit or not for profit? Exactly!!!
27.gif

DG what would you say was the most strict lab?
"Was" as when?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Although I dont have much experience with them...., I hear AGS is stricter. (especially when judging cut)

Based on my personal experience..., GIA is strict..., but it depends on the seasons and locations...
2.gif

GIA is seldom inconsistent in their color grading.

Based on some more of my experience..., HRD is also considered a strict one when it comes to color grades..., but a bit softer when it comes to clarity grading.
(for example: HRD will issue a IF (loupe clean) grade on Diamonds which possess internal graining that you can see with a
10X loupe)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/18/2007 6:31:58 AM
AGS is a for profit commercial lab

No argument AGS is fair
1.gif
, although I dont have much experience with them...
What about the rest..., should it be mentioned on a tutorial?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA is the only lab I know of that has arranged their accounting in a way that they don’t have to pay taxes on their income. So what? GNWT (the people who certify a stone as having Canadian origin) are a division of the Canadian government and presumably don’t pay taxes either but again, so what? This sort of thing is academically interesting for some and perhaps deserves some mention in the introductory paragraph about who the lab is but I think it has no bearing for shoppers. It’s sort of like observing that USPS doesn’t pay taxes and FedEx does. This is interesting for FedEx stockholders but it’s no help in deciding which service to use to ship things.

Perhaps add a link to the bottom of the 'main' section on each lab that leads to a forum thread about that lab, sort of like the journal section does for discussion on the various articles.

By the way, now that I think of it, shipping is something that might deserve a section in the tutorial (a different section). People ask about it quite a bit as an increasing number are doing business with far away jewelers and appraisers. What shipping methods are available and where, how to pack a box securely etc. would be useful information.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/18/2007 8:08:36 AM
GIA is the only lab I know of that has arranged their accounting in a way that they don’t have to pay taxes on their income. So what? GNWT (the people who certify a stone as having Canadian origin) are a division of the Canadian government and presumably don’t pay taxes either but again, so what? This sort of thing is academically interesting for some and perhaps deserves some mention in the introductory paragraph about who the lab is but I think it has no bearing for shoppers. It’s sort of like observing that USPS doesn’t pay taxes and FedEx does. This is interesting for FedEx stockholders but it’s no help in deciding which service to use to ship things.

Perhaps add a link to the bottom of the ''main'' section on each lab that leads to a forum thread about that lab, sort of like the journal section does for discussion on the various articles.

By the way, now that I think of it, shipping is something that might deserve a section in the tutorial (a different section). People ask about it quite a bit as an increasing number are doing business with far away jewelers and appraisers. What shipping methods are available and where, how to pack a box securely etc. would be useful information.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Neil..., suggested ''just'' as a point of interest..., no strings attached...

BTW..., your examples Fed-ex vs. UPS or even GNWT are not really comparable...,
they dont grade quality (and issue opinionated reports) on a valuable product that is so volatile to minute nuances!
2.gif

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Gary
You may want to consider giving a mention to “certificates of authenticity”
Those small plastic cards used for branding and confirming origin like the CanadaMark card

Johan

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
umm why is Garry and I the only ones posting edits if you want something included ya could at least edit it in so we can see how it looks!!!
We need to keep it pretty basic at the beginning.
What information does someone absolutely need too know?
What is nice to know?
Which is academic and while good info is going off course (not for profit is one because even a not for profit is out too get market share and money)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Grading reports:

Most diamonds sold online and many sold in the stores are accompanied by grading reports, also known as certificates or certs. These reports contains some important information about each stone they can be extremely helpful as a shopping tool.

It’s important to remember that each report is the result of a particular examination, on a particular date by the staff at a particular lab. A grading report is only as good as the lab that issued it and great care is called for if you want to compare stones sight unseen buy inspecting reports from different labs because despite the similarity of terms they don’t all use the same scales and they don’t apply these scales in the same ways.

Most diamonds being sold online are accompanied by a report from one of the following labs:

GIA (like to page about GIA products)
AGS (link)
IGI (link)
EGL International (link)
EGL-USA (link)
HRD (link)

Reports are also issued by smaller and specialty labs and equipment that may provide additional information that you might find useful. Often these are provided as a supplement to the report from one of the above major labs. There are far too many of these to itemize each but here are some popular examples.

GCAL (link)
Gemex (link)
Sarin (link)
Canadamark (link)

Regional labs and individual stores will often issue a grading report for their own branded stones. This can include well known brands like Tiffany & Co. as well as less famous brands. Although these are often useful, care should be taken to avoid falling into the trap of vanity certs. (link)

What is generally included on grading reports:
Shape (link)
Carat weight (link to section)
Color grade (link too color section)
Information on some of the stones dimensions. (link to measurements section)
Information on treatments that may have been applied (link)
Some labs also provide a cut grade on certain stones.(link too cut grading section)
Symmetry & Polish (link)
Girdle inscriptions. (link)
Fluorescence (link)
A unique report number (link to section about online report check systems)
Plotting diagram (link)
Anti-counterfeiting measures like holograms. See the individual links to the labs above or on the labs own websites for how to recognize their genuine reports.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/19/2007 12:16:21 PM
Grading reports:

Most diamonds sold online and many sold in the stores are accompanied by grading reports, also known as certificates or certs. These reports contains some important information about each stone they can be extremely helpful as a shopping tool.

It’s important to remember that each report is the result of a particular examination, on a particular date by the staff at a particular lab. A grading report is only as good as the lab that issued it and great care is called for if you want to compare stones sight unseen buy inspecting reports from different labs because despite the similarity of terms they don’t all use the same scales and they don’t apply these scales in the same ways.

Most diamonds being sold online are accompanied by a report from one of the following labs:

GIA (like to page about GIA products)
AGS (link)
IGI (link)
EGL International (link)
EGL-USA (link)
HRD (link)

Reports are also issued by smaller and specialty labs and equipment that may provide additional information that you might find useful. Often these are provided as a supplement to the report from one of the above major labs. There are far too many of these to itemize each but here are some popular examples.

GCAL (link)
Gemex (link)
Sarin (link)
Canadamark (link)

Regional labs and individual stores will often issue a grading report for their own branded stones. This can include well known brands like Tiffany & Co. as well as less famous brands. Although these are often useful, care should be taken to avoid falling into the trap of vanity certs. (link)

What is generally included on grading reports (Each of these links is a page in the Tutorial):
Shape (link)
Carat weight (link to section)
Color grade (link too color section)
Information on some of the stones dimensions. (link to measurements section)
Information on treatments that may have been applied (link)
Some labs also provide a cut grade on certain stones.(link too cut grading section)
Symmetry & Polish (link)
Girdle inscriptions. (link)
Fluorescence (link)
A unique report number (link to section about online report check systems)
Plotting diagram (link)
Anti-counterfeiting measures like holograms. See the individual links to the labs above or on the labs own websites for how to recognize their genuine reports.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver
thanks Neil, great contribution!

Add to that links to each labs confirmation site to enter ct wt and report # blah blah

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results