So I will keep this short b/c I have to get to work,
but can't stop thinking about it....

I had a very bad day last Friday.
Not gonna bore everyone, but the last straw
was I "knocked" my 5-stone (not on anything "hard" like stone or granite,
just the bathroom counter) and although I was "sure" it wasn't bad
I louped it, and sure enough, there is a teeny-tiny chip on one of the facets
of one of the diamonds.... although there is NO WAY it can be seen
with the naked eye, I KNOW it is there.....

Now, I ask you.
I am soo soo soo careful with my rings, and I take them off when
I am home doing anything,
and I just KNOW there are women who do NOT baby their rings like me.
I just KNOW some (most) women wear their diamonds nite and day
and think nothing of it, and nothing happens to their rings,
and I am so upset thinking about this I just want to SPIT NAILS !!!!!!!!!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

SO

My question is this.

HOW IN THE HECK does this happen ????

Do ANY of you having solitaire settings ever worry about this ???

Don't your girdles chip after a while of wearing your rings....
I am just wondering.

I would love (and am saving for) a beautiful stone I can set into a
solitaire of my dreams, but I am scared now...

What does everyone here do ?????????????????

Sorry it's long, I am just so carried away with this.....UGH !!!

going to work now.....

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you chipped your diamond, but hopefully the fact you can't see it with your naked eye is some comfort? I suppose if it really bothers you, you could have it polished out? Others with more experience can weigh in on that.

I have a feeling that the rings of most women who wear their rings 24/7 DO show some wear and tear over time, they just don't notice! I would venture to say a lot of people IRL don't loupe their stones.

I baby my rings too - I only wear them when I go out, and I'm conscious of them as I wear them. I did get used to wearing the set I got a few years ago, to the point I forgot I had it on. I seem to fret more over the OEC ring I got recently. I've thought about getting a loupe, but I'm stressing out a bit as it is wearing this ring - checking it with a loupe would probably only add to my anxiety!

Again, sorry about this! You sound pretty distressed over it, hope you can come to terms with it.

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
I'm also sorry this happened to you! Is it best to get a professional to look at it to see if it needs polishing? Could a chip be a vulnerable spot for a bigger chip later? Sorry I don't know the answers, that would be my concern though.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I chipped my sapphire ring, which I was wearing 24/7. It did feel terrible, suddenly I started questioning wearing it and overall it kinda dampened my spirits. So I totally sympathize with your frustration. For the sapphire, I eventually decided that I'll keep wearing it as much as I want (though I'll try to swing my arms around less and hit them on metallic door frames and such), and just won't stress. But then I'll get an even nicer sapphire later, and I'll baby that one. Plus, I will get my current one re-polished if I decide to re-set it one day.

Still, even with that mindset, I do get sad about it sometimes. And it's bezeled, too :| Just gotta enjoy the fact that it's still beautiful despite the micro-chips, I guess.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry! Fear of chipping my stone has made me so OCD about wearing rings in general. Stones set in necklaces and earrings endure much less abuse, but rings are my favorite type of jewelry. Wear and tear is inevitable, I guess, because no matter how careful we try to be with our hands, some banging around is going to occur. For some reason, I can't seem to put my hand in the freezer shelf at the grocery without knocking my ring on either the shelf or the freezer door.

When I first got my loupe, all my co-workers wanted to try it out on their rings. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM was able to find a small chip or nick, especially along the girdle. It was crazy, and one of my friends actually cried! I found it extremely traumatizing to realize that diamonds are not indestructible! My stone is set in a bezel, but I still worry about the faceting on the crown and table. My mother had large OEC diamond that was bezel-set, but the crown was high and really stuck out above the bezel. When I louped it, I saw lots of little nicks on the crown facets near the table. I've heard that's common with the older cuts because of their high crowns and small tables, so I've ruled out owning one of those beauties. It would just drive me even more nuts.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
DO NOT LOUPE, EVER!

Until the diamond literally falls apart in my ring - I am blissfully happy. And when it does: I'm insured. No sweat.

ETA: I wanna see you people loupe YOUR OWN TEETH. Then you'll really go crazy. I mean what other thing in the world do you really expect to be "perfect" at 30x mag???? Come ON now. :o

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
decodelighted|1338394636|3206153 said:
ETA: I wanna see you people loupe YOUR OWN TEETH. Then you'll really go crazy. I mean what other thing in the world do you really expect to be "perfect" at 30x mag???? Come ON now. :o

This is so true. Sometimes, ignorance really is bliss. I hate it whenever a hotel bathroom has one of those magnifying mirrors on the counter. I've looked into one of those suckers exactly ONCE. Never again! There are some things I'm just better off not seeing.

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
mrs jam|1338395372|3206160 said:

This is so true. Sometimes, ignorance really is bliss. I hate it whenever a hotel bathroom has one of those magnifying mirrors on the counter. I've looked into one of those suckers exactly ONCE. Never again! There are some things I'm just better off not seeing.

Haha, okay :) But didn't you guys loupe your stones when you bought them? I thought that was a standard thing around here.

And I guess a tiny chip doesn't make for a "weak spot" for a bigger one eventually?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL I don't need a loupe for my teeth, I know they suck! Hell they're almost all crowns at this stage. My dentist works under a microscope btw. I had no idea what he was doing when I first went there two years ago, and finally I asked what all that was.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My teeth all scored 1.0 on the HCA :naughty:

But seriously- a small chip can be repaired with very little loss in most cases- it's a pain in the butt, and can cost a few hundred- but not nearly as troublesome as other things that happen.

How and why diamonds chip sometimes and don't chip other times is one of those mysteries along wth why you can drop a glass 100 times and nothing happens, but graze it with a fork and it shatters.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
DO NOT LOUPE, EVER!

Until the diamond literally falls apart in my ring - I am blissfully happy. And when it does: I'm insured. No sweat.

I just buy old stones now with imperfections. It's like buying a used car with dings it it already...lessens the pain. ::)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1338398191|3206183 said:
My teeth all scored 1.0 on the HCA :naughty:

Hahaha!!

I'm sorry you chipped your stone ooooshiney.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
DO NOT LOUPE, EVER!

Yup, no loupes for me!

I am sure my stones have 10x mag nicks in them. I can't recall the last time I louped one of my rings. Maybe I'll do it tonight :devil:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1338398933|3206192 said:
I just buy old stones now with imperfections. It's like buying a used car with dings it it already...lessens the pain. ::)

Not only that, but it sort of puts things in perspective a little for me. I don't mind little nicks or chips as long as I cannot see them and they don't affect wear, and especially for a pendant or a necklace. For a ring, my preference is for a hardy stone though.

I do admit that I will likely polish the key stone in my three stone if it needs it. But I don't think it does, it is in remarkable shape.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1338403867|3206251 said:

Not only that, but it sort of puts things in perspective a little for me. I don't mind little nicks or chips as long as I cannot see them and they don't affect wear, and especially for a pendant or a necklace. For a ring, my preference is for a hardy stone though.

I do admit that I will likely polish the key stone in my three stone if it needs it. But I don't think it does, it is in remarkable shape.

Everything is replaceable...even sentimental rings! I insure and just wear them happily, but yes, if I had it my way, these old cuts would have the girdle of a beerbelly gut! I really tend not to loupe either (I haven't louped my ering in forever), because if the ring is pretty to my naked eyes, I am happy. Why mess with happiness? Defeats the purpose of enjoying jewelry!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal said:

Everything is replaceable...even sentimental rings! I insure and just wear them happily, but yes, if I had it my way, these old cuts would have the girdle of a beerbelly gut! I really tend not to loupe either (I haven't louped my ering in forever), because if the ring is pretty to my naked eyes, I am happy. Why mess with happiness? Defeats the purpose of enjoying jewelry!!

... I sorta like abraded facet junctions in old cuts...the way they highlight the facet pattern...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shiney, please, don't spend another minute worrying about this ::) if it's really bothering you you can get it polished out, but you truly don't need to worry!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1338406022|3206269 said:
TravelingGal said:

... I sorta like abraded facet junctions in old cuts...the way they highlight the facet pattern...

And I have no idea what that means...I only understand the term "sparkle". Haha!

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
I haven't had the opportunity to experience this with an expensive diamond yet...

But in general... my philosophy on life is that I want to USE and ENJOY the pretty things that make me happy. Like the "good dishes", or the expensive candles... Is does me no good to "save them for a special occasion", and then live my life never having used them. Why should we use the ugly, plain or boring in our day-to-day lives??

Example... after 16 years of driving a minivan, my husband bought me a convertible BMW in January. It is not an "expensive" car in the realm of Beemers (actually, it was about the same price as my minivan). But it's a fun little sports car and I love it. I told my daughter and her BF that they could take it on Prom night... my husband about had a fit! I said... "Honey, it is just a THING! It is a fun car and it is meant to be ENJOYED!"

I want to feel the same way when I get my beautiful ring. I want to wear it every day, and stare at it, and let the sparkles make my heart go pitter-patter!! :love:

I would rather enjoy my ring, and risk a few chips and nicks, rather than baby it to keep it "perfect" and then never wear it.

OoooohShiney... I am so sorry that this is so upsetting to you! I hope you will continue to wear, and enjoy and LOVE your beautiful ring and that this won't keep you from buying the stone of your dreams someday!! Hugs!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1338406327|3206272 said:
TravelingGal said:

And I have no idea what that means...I only understand the term "sparkle". Haha!

Oops, I meant to quote Dreamer re. polishing.

Like the JbEG, w/ the fine white lines between each facet, vs the very clean facet meets on the AVR http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/SOLD-ITEMS-1/362ct-Loose-Old-European-Cut/14738104_zXhL4P#!i=1098241544&k=5pFkE

But I remember Gypsy talking about how polishing upped the sparkle.

facetjunc.png

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly, I'm sorry that you chipped your stone! :(sad I forgot to take my rings off before we left to go camping this weekend :o and felt safer wearing them than stashing them away somewhere that they could get lost, at then bang! I smashed it off the edge of the pool, and was a wreck until I got home to check it out. So, I don't understand either how some little bumps cause more damage than some of the big ones. I agree with the others though that if it's really freaking you out than a good polish will take care of it. I think that decodelighted makes a great point too, don't sweat it, if you can't see it, and if it becomes more prominent or cracks, you will have your insurance to fall back on. Your thread has made me rethink louping my diamond after a bump again though, sometimes your better off just not knowing! :wink2:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1338409517|3206302 said:
TravelingGal|1338406327|3206272 said:
TravelingGal said:

Oops, I meant to quote Dreamer re. polishing.

Like the JbEG, w/ the fine white lines between each facet, vs the very clean facet meets on the AVR http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/SOLD-ITEMS-1/362ct-Loose-Old-European-Cut/14738104_zXhL4P#!i=1098241544&k=5pFkE

But I remember Gypsy talking about how polishing upped the sparkle.

facetjunc.png

Hmmm. Now that is interesting. I was thinking more of judt a girdle pi\olish/fecet than a wholesale polish, but its all academic; if the girdle is fine I won't bother.

I can see how it might increase sparkle. Something interesting to think about. I wonder, is it always from wear that the meet points are rougher, or is it a hallmark of the cutting methods used 100 years ago? If the latter, I would be less inclines to do a large scale polish because it is part of the cut.

TGal Your blissful ignorance of all things cut related is making me rethink your right to post in RT. I might take it upon myself to revoke your membership :devil:

I would like to put away my mental loupe: The part of my brain that analyses what I see. It has pluses and minuses, though. The same analytic and perceptive skill is what allows me to choose old cuts from crappy photos I think, and it is also what causes me to obsess over tilt windows.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nah, you wouldn't do that Dreamer...otherwise you'd lose an enthuasiastic onlooker for your project! :rodent:

I was just never obsessed with details. I love research and all, but I do have the personality where I can overthink things if I get into it...so the safest way to not drive myself crazy is to not study too much. My brooch was the first old cut thing I bought. I thought it was pretty to my eyes and just went with it. If I got crazy about leakeage, obstruction, tilt windows, facet junctures, etc, I would have gone on the mad hunt for who knows how long. Would I have ended up with "better" diamonds? Probably. But who knows when that would be?

I am in no way knocking the anal in anybody, btw. That's what makes this forum so educational, as well as fun to watch the projects that usually end up with perfection!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stone is chipped. I know this is a bit gross, but I think I chipped it on the toilet while wiping after a pee. At least that's the first time I noticed it. It bugs me. I'm not fixing it, I'm sure it's small and it's not noticeable to the naked eye. Don't loupe, ignorance is bliss!

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Rhea|1338413692|3206347 said:
My stone is chipped. I know this is a bit gross, but I think I chipped it on the toilet while wiping after a pee. At least that's the first time I noticed it. It bugs me. I'm not fixing it, I'm sure it's small and it's not noticeable to the naked eye. Don't loupe, ignorance is bliss!

Is it wrong that this just made my whole day? :tongue:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Y'all for chiming in...
I want to let you know that your posts have made me feel a
whole lot better....
I needed that...

I know I should put away the loupe, Heaven Forbid, for an instant
I actually thought about getting a 30 x loupe so I could see the damages "BETTER"
WoW, I bet THAT would cause me to fall into the deep dark pit all-right..... :oops:
I guess I can't get over the many years of hearing "diamonds are the hardest gemstone,
they can cut glass, they are indestructible, you can't hurt them" etc etc etc propaganda....

I haven't stopped LOVING and wearing my 5-Stone ring
but I HAVE stopped wearing it on my Right hand (*which is what I intended it for)
and moved my Valentine ring there instead.... The melee on its halo are
inset just a tiny bit, so that if I accidentally knock the ring, the diamonds
are protected a bit by the metal...........
I can live with that idea.

What you all say is right.
I NEED to quit obsessing and simply enjoy my "Beauty"...
And I DO love it so.

I guess I just had a bad day, and that little nick sealed it.
Now that it's happened, I need to relax and accept it and quit worrying.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
mrs jam|1338418059|3206398 said:

Is it wrong that this just made my whole day? :tongue:

Nope, I'm with you on that :lol: :lol: :lol:
OK I get it...
I guess it can happen anywhere, anytime :sun:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
then you need one of these... ;))

http://www.sandman.com/intimst.html

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't wear rings on my right hand either, oooo-shiney! I am too rough with that hand.

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
I'm quite clumsy by nature so I try to make up for this by never wearing my sapphire engagement ring at home. So I was DEVASTATED the first time it got chipped and to this day, I still have no idea how it happened (though I suspected the appraiser might have chipped it while he was doing the appraisal coz I swear the chip was only there after I got my ring back from him :angryfire: ). Sent it off to the jeweller to get it repolished and lost 8 points off its carat weight in the process which made me even more :cry: The second time it happened, I was in the changing room trying on a leather jacket when my hand came through the sleeve and punched the mirror in front of me. I had a mental scream and thought I'd done some serious damage but luckily for me, the chip was oly tiny and barely visible. Couldn't be bothered to get it repolished and these days, I don't even think about it (until I read this post)

My point is, diamonds and gemstones are just pretty baubles and they are meant to be enjoyed. Any time I spend scrutinising them under a loupe is time I could've spent enjoying their beauty which is why I don't have and will never own a loupe. I don't know what I can't see, so for me ignorance is bliss.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results