shape
carat
color
clarity

Check the quality and authenticity of GIA diamond

basra

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am a complete newbie and I am about to buy an engagement ring with a diamond.

The diamond I have in mind is a GIA certified one and from what I can see the supplier offers it at about 35% cheaper than any other place (online and offline).

So I am a bit wary about the quality.

The supplier will give me the GIA certificate with the report number.

My questions:

1) Do all GIA diamonds have a laser inscription in the diamond that corresponds with the GIA report number?

2) If yes, can I see this laser inscription in the diamond when it is set in the ring?

3) Which tool would I need to see this... a diamond magnifier 10x or 30x or 40x or 60x, Triplet... which exact specifications would this little thingie need?

Thanks a bunch!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any specs on the diamond from the GIA certificate? I would not purchase such a stone until I had someone review the specs of it. GIA certified alone is not enough to go on and if the price is discounted, it is discounted for a reason.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1484404613|4115256 said:
Do you have any specs on the diamond from the GIA certificate? I would not purchase such a stone until I had someone review the specs of it. GIA certified alone is not enough to go on and if the price is discounted, it is discounted for a reason.

Ditto...

1) No, not all GIA have the number lasered on them.
2) Depends how the setter sets the stone (if it ends up under a prong then you wont see it)
3) If I recall correctly I can see something on the girdle on my AGS stone with my 10x but I cant actually read it even with my 30x.
(my eyes arent that good any more though)

You need to post the report number so we can see if the stone is well cut or not and see why it is discounted.
The report should say whether the stone is inscribed or not.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I can read my laser inscription with my 30x loupe, but not with anything lower, except to maybe make out where it is once I know where it is.

I agree with everyone else, you need to review the cut specs of the stone. There are stones that fall in to the "excellent" category and then there are EXCELLENT stones.....

If you can post some basics here, that might help because no one can comment without some basic ideas of pavilion angle, crown angle, table size and stone depth. clarity also perhaps? Is there anything on the GIA document that speaks about the clarity?

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Not all GIA certified diamonds are laser inscribed. If diamond is prong set, normally they don't cover the inscription on the girdle and it's easy to read under magnification. I can read any laser inscription with my 10X high quality loupe, so 10X is enough if the optic is excellent.
If a diamond has the same laser inscription as the GIA certificate, this does not mean that you are protected from fraud. This still could be different diamond of lesser quality intentionally swapped to resemble the original. If diamond is not laser inscribed only a knowledgeable person can prove that this is the same diamond from the certificate.
I would recommend buying from an established seller with good return policy, and going to a reputable jeweler or appraiser in your area to check the diamond.

basra

Rough_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest you run all the above stones through the HCA tool (if you havent already). Then repost the stones that score 2 or
less for us to take a look at.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Edit...is there any particular reason you are so high on clarity?

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would narrow my choice between these:
GIA 7231224078
GIA 1248378933
GIA 7238999462
The last one (GIA 7238999462) is the best, in my opinion.
Congratulations on your engagement! :angel:

basra

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

Attached all GIA report and HCA reports.

I have a selection of 6 diamonds now.

I am inclined towards the "235" and the "978".

What you guys, think? Please see attached .pdf.

The setting is a yellow gold 18K ring with 6 claws.

Attachments

• diamonddata.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 116

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People dont like to download attachments...you might get more input if you provided the information in-line.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Number one seems the best. Throw out any with HCA > 2. Generally the best stones are "excellent" on the HCA for fire, light return, and scintillation, and very good on spread. I don't think you want to give up fire, light return, or scintillation for slightly better spread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results