shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier 1895 Solitaire - Question about Marking at the bottom

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chiquitas

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I bought the e-ring (a 1.43 VS1
1.gif
) from Cartier a month ago, and have been preparing for my proposal.

Been looking at the ring, and I noticed something that I did not notice earlier - at the base/bottom of the bottom on the outside (the ring is plain, not pave), there are two tiny markings on either side, to the naked eye is looks like a triangular, possibly diamond shape. It look like it is engraved on the bottom itself, I do not think it is chipped, as the appearance of two on either side is too symmetrical.

I thought the band of the plain ring is just plain, is the above normal? Should I get paranoid about this?

To anyone who owns a Cartier 1895 Solitaire, I appreciate if you could verify the above.
Many thanks!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In France markings indicating platinum or 18 karat are symbolic and often on the outside, bottom of the ring. Maybe since yours is a reproduction of an antique they are using external quality marks. Cartier could surely tell you what''s up.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Yes, don''t worry, those are the hallmarks--my husband noticed and asked about them when we were at Cartier shopping for wedding rings. Cartier marks some of their rings on the outside in the French manner.

chiquitas

Rough_Rock
Hi David, glitterata,

Thank you! Now it makes sense - now I can sleep better, was mulling over this yesterday... will definitely confirm with Cartier

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Look at them with a loupe - you should be able to see an eagle head (for gold) and/or an alsatian/german shepherd dog head (for platinum). Unless the ring uses both metals, the other mark is most likely a "poinçon de maître" either for Cartier or the master maker contracted by Cartier to make the ring.

kevind

Rough_Rock
Not to thread jack, but does anyone have a picture of this? I am curious to see what it looks like. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results