shape
carat
color
clarity

Caring for E-ring. When to take it off?

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sorry for yet another basic question! I'm newly engaged and would love to know the best way to care for my engagement ring. It's an antique platinum setting that has pave set diamonds. I asked my jeweler and he just said when gardening, dishes etc. He didn't mention taking it off at night or in the shower. Is it unwise of me to be wearing it 24/7? That is what I have been doing for the past week since I got it. I'm still in I got to admire it in every lighting condition and all times of the day phase! I'm also worried that if I take it off I am more likely to loose it or forget to put it back on. I've always kept my watch, old ring and necklace on 24/7.

Also, is there any harm in cleaning it often? I've been cleaning the ring almost daily as I love how amazing the diamond looks when clean!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kemurphy|1365363709|3422082 said:
Sorry for yet another basic question! I'm newly engaged and would love to know the best way to care for my engagement ring. It's an antique platinum setting that has pave set diamonds. I asked my jeweler and he just said when gardening, dishes etc. He didn't mention taking it off at night or in the shower. Is it unwise of me to be wearing it 24/7? That is what I have been doing for the past week since I got it. I'm still in I got to admire it in every lighting condition and all times of the day phase! I'm also worried that if I take it off I am more likely to loose it or forget to put it back on. I've always kept my watch, old ring and necklace on 24/7.

Also, is there any harm in cleaning it often? I've been cleaning the ring almost daily as I love how amazing the diamond looks when clean!

I think it is personal taste here, my wife takes her ring off every night, does not sleep with it. Agree with jeweler not to have it on when gardening or doing dishes, also add playing sports. If you wear it in shower, I would think soap scum would dull it.

You can clean it as often or not as you want to make it sparkle. Try a jewelry steam cleaner. Not sure I would put a ring with pave in an ultasonic so to move the little stones. Others can chime in here if they put pave in ultrasonic.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the advise on the ultrasonic! I work in a lab with an ultrasonic bath and without that warning I would definitely have been using it to clean my ring!

Von03

Shiny_Rock
I don't sleep or shower with my ring. Don't wear it for household chores, cooking (handling meats etc.) or anything that seems like it might be rough on my setting. I think it's important to love your jewelry and enjoy it, but also be proactive about getting the setting, prongs, diamond checked on a regular basis.

I own a jewel jet steam cleaner and it's really great for cleaning/ steaming your jewelry, especially settings that might be hard to get at the diamond.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're going to get different opinions on this, some wear their rings 24/7, some take them off often - there's really no right or wrong, just depends on your comfort level. Personally, I don't wear mine while sleeping, showering, cooking or doing housework. I have an antique ring and stone and just don't want to run the risk of banging it on something. And I put it on after applying makeup, lotion, and hairspray. I love wearing my ring but I find I do get sort of stressed out that I'm going to hit it on something so it's just easier for me to take it off.

And it's fine to clean your ring often! I like keeping mine looking it's best too. I probably wouldn't put it in an ultrasonic though.

eta: here's a related thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/questions-about-caring-for-new-e-ring.150935/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/questions-about-caring-for-new-e-ring.150935/[/URL]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to keep my jewelry in great condition, so that means not wearing it when handling dishes, pots, and pans in the kitchen, doing any kind of house work, etc. and I do not sleep or shower in it. Your ring is already an antique (and gorgeous :love: ), and I would treat it with TLC so hopefully it can be passed down to your grandchildren! I have a ring holder and that is where the ring goes when I am not wearing it. That way I cannot lose it. It works fine to soak the ring in a jar of jewelry cleaner on a frequent basis, and then just use a steam cleaner on occasion (I have an ultrasonic but my current ring doesn't have pave).

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before PS and with my first ering (wore it for 20 years) and then my replacement ering (wore it for 7 more years...) I never took my rings off unless I was pregnant or putting on lotion or maybe changing them up a bit and swapping a new ring on for a day or so....

I was bad... I hang my head in shame now... :oops:

Now, post PS and with some pretty ok jewelry under my belt, I'm all about taking it off at night and keeping it safe from damage/lotions/loose threads, etc. I take FAR better care of all my pieces now than I did in the past, so its a great practice to get into if you don't mind taking them off and on - and cleaning them regularly! That's the ticket to keeping it looking amazing!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I am of the "last thing I put on before I leave, first thing that comes off when I get home" school. Antique pave is not meant to be a 24/7 ring imo!

SoonerSage

Rough_Rock
icekid|1365382495|3422287 said:
I am of the "last thing I put on before I leave, first thing that comes off when I get home" school. Antique pave is not meant to be a 24/7 ring imo!

A woman after my own heart. I completly agree! I have a pave ring now, and though I only wear it while out, I've lost two stones in the past. Both lost right after a steam cleaning at the jewelers. I am now leary of high pressure steam cleaning!!!

You have a beautiful ring!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
icekid|1365382495|3422287 said:

Wot she said!

And I might add putting it back in its ring box to sleep. Nice and cozy in there. :))

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="WillyDiamond|1365365197|

You can clean it as often or not as you want to make it sparkle. Try a jewelry steam cleaner. Not sure I would put a ring with pave in an ultasonic so to move the little stones. Others can chime in here if they put pave in ultrasonic.[/quote]

I have never understood this theory behind pave settings...IMO,if it does not past the ultrasonic test then you shouldn't be wearing the ring.The stones were too loose to begin with.

hawk25

Shiny_Rock
Dancing Fire|1365384918|3422318 said:
I have never understood this theory behind pave settings...IMO,if it does not past the ultrasonic test then you shouldn't be wearing the ring.The stones were too loose to begin with.

Ah the eternal debate...I've been trying to figure out a consensus too. My girlfriend doesn't clean or take off her jewelery at all, and I want to buy her an ultrasonic, but I'm buying her a pave ring. You should have seen the look of horror on the jeweler's face when I took her other ring to get cleaned :shock:

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your wonderful insight! I'll get a nice secure place for it when I'm home. I love the ring so much the last think I want to do is damage it. I wouldn't have thought about this without the wonderful pricescope community.

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
I have a modern setting with pave so I can't chime in on antique settings (though I have an antique stone!). I generally don't sleep or shower with my ring on and I take it off to wash dishes or clean the house. I don't wear it at the gym (because of lifting weights or using weight machines). I do wear at work, a medical clinic, and I put on and take off gloves all day. I wash my hands a LOT and use hand sanitizing gel all the time out of necessity. I'm not really rough on it physically, and I clean the goop and residue from the gel and soap off with windex, hot water and a toothbrush regularly. When I'm feeling lazy, I'll just use an alcohol prep pad to wipe it off, but I give it a soak and cleaning with a toothbrush at least 2-3 times a week.

I'm wondering about getting a steam cleaner, but am concerned if there's pressure cleaning involved. My jeweler said never to use an ultrasonic cleaner on jewelry with pave, and I intend to follow that instruction! I've been instructed to bring my ring in at least every 6 months for a full inspection. Last time, they tightened up two of the bead set mellee. I didn't notice they were loose, but I guess when you poke them with a pin under a microscope, they moved a little. They also said to bring in it a few months after I got it resized to make sure the pave was still secure since it's on the shank.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results