shape
carat
color
clarity

Carat Size For Earrings ...

STEPHANSON

Shiny_Rock
i've kinda hinted at my husband for an upgraded diamond solitar earrings. right now i have 1/2 carat total. i'm only curious to know how big i should go. i'm like any other girl and love sparkle, but don't want to go too big. i had this problem when my husband upgraded my 1/2 pear to a 1 1/2 round solitare Ering. im always worried its going to look fake.

does anyone have any suggestions or even pictures that my help me ? thanks in advanced ladies !

slg47

Ideal_Rock
maybe check out the SMTB thread where people have posted pics of their earrings along with the carat size?

STEPHANSON

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1294282423|2815386 said:
maybe check out the SMTB thread where people have posted pics of their earrings along with the carat size?

thanks ... i sure will

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...By DF's rules you should have earrings 1/2 your Ering - so 0.75 -though I forget if that's total cw or each :devil:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see people all day long at my dental office and 1/2 ct to 1 ct per ear seems to be the norm here in Chicago. (And I mean per stud, not total per ear, lots of people wear more than one earring and the 2nd or3rd stud is usually smaller. I wear .50, .15, .15)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have a budget? And have you tried on some different sizes.

I personally want 2ctw studs eventually. But would settle (hah!) for 1.5. But there are some people who really don't think anything over 1 ctw looks good on them.

STEPHANSON

Shiny_Rock
we really dont have a budget, but we dont want to spend a bazillion dollars. i have a 1/2 carat total right now and they seem kinda small on me. im kinda leaning to a total of 1 carat or 1 1/2.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
The best thing to find out what size is best for you is to go and buy some fake studs from your cheap costume store in a couple of different sizes. Measure the diameters to figure out what the respective weights would be and decide from there what you think looks best on your ears. As everyones ear lobes are different sizes what looks large on one person, may look small on you (or vice versa).

For me, when looking through the SMTB thread i thought that .40's looked quite substantial until I tried on some fakes in that size and found they were too small for me. I ended up with 1.25ct total weight from trying on similar sized fake studa and decided that i could not go smaller, so be warned that there is some danger to this method too. :bigsmile:

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
My suggestion is to try earrings on. Mostly because we all have totally different ear lobe shape and size. A half carat might look large on a small ear lobe yet on a large ear lobe it will look tiny.

And it also has to do with what your daily life is like and where you live.

Not much help in reality, but I know I prefer smaller than average for me, but I don't have a whole lot of free space on my ears.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
clgwli|1294336577|2815838 said:
My suggestion is to try earrings on. Mostly because we all have totally different ear lobe shape and size. A half carat might look large on a small ear lobe yet on a large ear lobe it will look tiny.

Yes, half your decision will be based on the size of your earlobes. Some ears look overloaded with 1 ct and others barely show a hint of sparkle. lol!

Mine are .82 ctw and are fine for daily wear. I'm petite build but do have larger lobes and could easily get away with 2ctw (which I tried on and loved)!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are 1.2 tcw and that's the max for my ears. I really never take them out except to clean or if going to blacktie I have emerald/diamond drops.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Frenchgirl|1294353455|2816095 said:
Mine are 0.40ct each. I think that it is necessary to try.

Those are very pretty Frenchgirl!!

My studs are .33 and .34 round brilliants and they are a wonderful size but then again my ear lobes aren't that bit. But to be honest, my idea size would be about .50 to .60 each!! I think this size would be just perfect for everyday wear (well, for me anyways!!) :))

Cachette :))

cjm

Rough_Rock
I have 2 pair of 1/2 ct. tw. earrings - one in yellow gold, and one is white gold and I love that they are simple and classy. From where I am (WI) that is probably about the average size for stud earrings I've seen. Anything bigger on someone, I would just assume they weren't real diamonds. I do have "fake" diamond studs in a bigger size that seem to be good quality (if that's possible..ha) and I really can't tell the difference. People aren't that close to your ears and won't be inspecting them....and you can't SEE them on yourself. =) I think for earrings, I wouldn't spend the money on real diamonds - I'd put it towards more diamond rings or an upgrade to your wedding set - or maybe a diamond pendant necklace!

I do think it's a great idea to try on different sizes first and see what you like best!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I have 2 ctw diamond earrings and I LOVE them. They feel like the perfect size for dressing up or dressing down. If someone thinks they are fake, well, okay...it's not my problem. I say, get what you like and hardly consider what others will think, I mean, seriously, you're the one who has to wear them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results