carat
color
clarity

Calling Gypsy - EC ASETS Are In ...

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Gypsy

The assets are in and this is what they had to say ...

"With ASET images you want to see a lot of red (this is your direct light return) and green (indirect light return) with a little bit of blue (this is the contrast in the diamond) and very little to no black (this is your light leakage).

As I am sure you expected after reviewing the images, the gemologist found the 0.81 carat-G-VVS1 (diamond 259787; $2,890) to be the liveliest option of the three. It has a great alternating pattern of light and dark, that you would expect in a well performing emerald. It has a great amount of brilliance (white light return), fire (dispersion of color) and sparkle that is well balanced and symmetrical. It is a higher "G" color (closer to an "F") and is a bright white color. It also faces up completely "eye clean". The 0.81 carat-F-VS2 (diamond 351810; $2,450) is a close second. It too has a great alternating pattern of light and dark; with a great amount of brilliance, fire and sparkle (just not as "eye catching" as the other). It is a bright, icy white color and is also completely "eye clean". The 0.82 carat-G-VVS1 (diamond 316914; $3,010) is a very beautiful option; however, there are more dark areas under the table; causing it to be the weakest performer of the three. It is a true "G" in color (facing up a nice white) and is also completely "eye clean"."

And here are the images :

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.81-carat-g-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-259787

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.81-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-351810

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.82-carat-g-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-316914

What are your thoughts? I have no idea how to interpret these images. Am I supposed to be seeing more red?

Is there a vast difference between the G 0.81 and the F .81 (the F being $440 cheaper)?

In your opinion, are any of the stones "top performers" and worth buying or am I better to keep looking? I'm not in a hurry so it's not critical that I buy one of these stones.

I would be most grateful for your advice.

Many thanks =)

259787_g_vvs1_point_81.jpg

316914_g_vvs1_point_82.jpg

351810_f_vs2_point_81.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not Gypsy and I am sure she will be here later on, but I am fairly confident that she will tell you that none of those is a top performing EC. The top one might be marginally better than the others, but I would not buy any of them, personally. I am in a different time zone that G, so I thought I'd just give you some feedback while you wait.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks DS - I know nothing about interpreting these assets so any advice is gratefully received. Thank you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks again DS. So the fact that there is so much green and so little red means that these are not good candidates at all ? I had not expected my first foray into emerald cuts to be so complicated. It's a bit depressing :(

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The 81 pointer is the best and it is not a dog. But neither is it a firecracker.

Still with EC's ASETs to judge step cut performance are a hard thing. And the video on the stone looks nice. And so I would primarily use the ASET to identify problems (like P3 angle issues) and as a tool to help compare the performance of relatively similar stones. So in that respect that ASET shows no problems on the .81 and shows that it is a stronger performer.

If there are no other options in budget that have your affection, I advise you to get the .81 in, in person and see what you think of it. JA has a 30 day full refund return policy and they even pay shipping both ways, so there is no downside.

You should be able to tell if you like it, take it around to other stores locally to compare to other ECs and see what you think.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks Gypsy. Free returns don't apply overseas and shipping from Dubai is problematic so if I commit to buy then I am pretty much stuck with it.

It looks like a pretty stone but it is not the "best" stone and I want to buy my husband the best stone I can because he is the best husband, if you know what I mean?

I have now used up all my ASETS with JA and they are the only vendor I can use due to shipping and payment regulations so it either has to be this stone or I will just have to take a chance on an AGSO round without Aset images.

I only have today to decide because JA will release the stones at 9am EST.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They release the hold, but that doesn't mean anyone else is going to buy it immediately.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I hadn't thought of that. I guess the problem is that now I have used up my ASETS, then whatever I buy will be without all the info I need to buy a fancy cut if I don't buy this EC.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. That's not true. You can call GOG or BE and they can source nice EC's for you with ASETs.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes but some of the other vendors wont ship to Dubai and/or they require bank wire payment which is problematic for me as I don't have access to wire facilities here. If I go down that route, I would need my husband to make the payment which kind of defeats the surprise element. However, that might be the way I'll have to go as I'm not sure that I want to "settle" for a diamond especially now I know better.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask if GOG and BE will ship there. You never know, they might.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results