carat
color
clarity

Calling Dreamer_D and Yssie and other old cut lovers~

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ladies,

I intended to keep this off PS, but maybe I need as much help as I can get.

I've got a few contenders for an E-Ring OEC, and was in contact yesterday with Gypsy to help me breathe. I'm a :errrr: nervous wreck because this one is already "sold" by the vendor, but she had sold it to another vendor friend. She is offering to ship it back to my home state from NY to let me buy, but it's under the condition that I buy it if it matches the description at an appraiser, and looks like it does in the photos. So, no "looksies". That makes me feel rushed, and when I feel rushed, I get nervous!

EGL graded it an I VS2, and it's the largest and whitest I've been able to find that fit my budget as well as maximizes the clarity.

Please check this out for me:

$(KGrHqN,!jUE5,zJsokrBObp(4g4yw~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqUOKpQE5VDw0whSBObpYLFF6w~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!hME5oerQdINBOgL55N+Nw~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!ikE5esVbRFVBObp(+v0,g~~60_57.JPG

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have an appointment this Friday with Grace to view these two:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/267ctoecdiamond/11100807_fj6J8Q
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...amond/21642694_qjX56f#!i=1726257497&k=2RDTsrS

and I've also got sent this contender from Adam at OWD. It is a 3.13 J SI1. Video here: http://youtu.be/3LP2J9cWHug

I can't help but giggle to the "Okay man, peace on earth" in the background.

I'm uptight and :errrr: for the past few days since this will be my forever-no-upgrade-no-tradesies diamond. I'm the type that likes to take my time window shopping every single opportunity in the world before making decisions. I am not a risk-taker by nature! And this whole rushing due to the first diamond, the I VS2 one, is making me really nervous! I don't want to make an uneducated, rushed buy with such a big amount of $, and end up feeling like I'm regretting it because I was so rushed. Can you ladies please help and check these out for me?

Gypsy already ruled out no on the 2.89 from JbEG.

OWD1.jpg

OWD2.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The stone in the video, would that inclusion bother you?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1337703909|3200915 said:
It looks gorgeous! Good luck!

Which one? :errrr: Aghh. Thanks, I'll need all the luck I can get right now! :wacko:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1337704066|3200917 said:
The stone in the video, would that inclusion bother you?

Not really. I'm not a stickler to clarity. My mind cleanliness sensitivity is pretty dull :twirl: as long as it's eye clean from ~12" under most conditions, and not a big black booger, I'm okay.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The "gorgeous" comment was for the first stone. But regrettably I'm not an expert, so I can't really make any conclusions from the pic. But if the pics are true to life, it's beautiful!

It does sound super frustrating and nerve-wrecking that you have to commit to the stone like that. Do you think it's a fair thing for the seller to ask? I didn't quite get what it means that it was sold by one vendor to another... but can still be sold to you? Why put the pressure on you?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re the 2.67 from JbEG - I see a dark area in the center that shows up pretty consistently in the pics - will be interested to hear what you think after seeing it in person.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
I do not care for the first stone. It looks to me like it has a fisheye -- see that dark circle around the table? Also, I recognize the vendor based on the pics. I ended up returning the ring I purchased from her and was refunded promptly, but she was not pleasant about it. If she's already saying you can't return unless grossly misrepresented, I would pass. I also don't understand her reasoning for you not being allowed to return. This is too much money not to have a no questions asked return policy IMO.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kennedy|1337705181|3200936 said:
I do not care for the first stone. It looks to me like it has a fisheye -- see that dark circle around the table? Also, I recognize the vendor based on the pics. I ended up returning the ring I purchased from her and was refunded promptly, but she was not pleasant about it. If she's already saying you can't return unless grossly misrepresented, I would pass. I also don't understand her reasoning for you not being allowed to return. This is too much money not to have a no questions asked return policy IMO.

Yes, I noticed that circle too...and agree that this is too much money to spend without a return policy.

Edited for clarity

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1337704567|3200928 said:
The "gorgeous" comment was for the first stone. But regrettably I'm not an expert, so I can't really make any conclusions from the pic. But if the pics are true to life, it's beautiful!

It does sound super frustrating and nerve-wrecking that you have to commit to the stone like that. Do you think it's a fair thing for the seller to ask? I didn't quite get what it means that it was sold by one vendor to another... but can still be sold to you? Why put the pressure on you?

Sorry, it's a confusing story and I tried to shorten it. I found this ring originally on eBay and Etsy. It sold while I was still trying to get my SO to look at old cuts, to "convert" him to loving the chunky, colorful flashes ;( so I never got a chance to even communicate with the seller. Well, before I even got a hold on JbEG, I just shot off an email to the seller, requesting if she get anything "like that" again, to let me know. She responded that she'd keep me in mind. After I already started actively contacting JbEG and other vendors, that seller contacted me saying that she found out her associate had sold it to another vendor, who is a friend of theirs, and that she'd try to get it back to show it to me. Only 2 nights ago did she confirm she was able to get it back, but that her friend had already found a buyer, so she'd have to know ASAP from me if I can buy it. She doesn't want to pry it away from another potential buyer for me, and have it shipped in from the east coast to the west coast, just for me to play "looksies", which I get. She assured me this was no selling act or ploy, as when I contacted her, it had been sold and removed from her listing for a while already. I know she isn't lying about that, but I'm just nervous because it's a rushed decision. I've made a lot of rushed buys and ended up screwed, so I'm weary. And to top it all off, the seller wants me to meet THIS weekend, and make a decision.

I'd have to last minute pull up an appraiser who can meet with us at a time that's convenient for both SO and I. We only have Friday available, but I already have quite a bit going on that day. All my appointments that day will be pulling me in all different directions of travel, and I guess that only adds to my anxiety.

So no, it's not a "fair" position to be in, but it is what it is, and I'm all frazzled up. What if I miss out on a great opportunity because I can't pull myself together to make a quick decision? What if I freak out and buy too quickly without getting properly educated? Gypsy really likes this one, and I do, too. It's the nervousness due to the rush that's making me anxious.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
The 2.89 transitional ring from jbeg is gorgeous, but I am a bit weary since the EGL report says the diamond's depth is 53.5. I would actually prefer the 2.67 over the 2.89. I know the 2.67 seems to get dark during pictures, but that diamond shines in the videos, especially when it was in the Julia bezel. Here's the link, check out those photos and videos, I think the diamond looks gorgeous in these pictures and videos.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEGSignatureSettingsandSpecia/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Julia-Bezel-Solitaire/13197667_hDLW3L/994926919_LzcZX

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I got the same sentiment from Gypsy. She had said she has an 'interesting' personality, and isn't happy about returns. She wasn't 100% positive about the fisheye, though, and had warned me to get that checked while getting appraised.

So is this a no, 100%?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first stone has a fish eye. If they allowed you a two week inspection maybe chance it to determine if the fish eye was apparent in person, or if a girdle polish would remove it -- fish eye is sometimes a rough girdle reflection. But with no returnsies, pass.

The 2.67 is worth further evaluation. I am not super optimistic because it is not a make I *personally* prefer -- I like a smaller table and more precise facet pattern. But if it is priced well and you see it in person and like it, then that could be a winner.

The tranny is just not a nice make for me, I would pass.

The 3.13 J at OWD has a very large table inclusion. I would not be ok with that. Otherwise worth further evaluation.

This is my favourite stone in terms of cut that JBEG have. It is tinted, and likely lower than L, but cut trumps all in my opinion:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/260ct-Old-European-Cut-OEC/21994229_p3XQkm#!i=1754541490&k=d4G5wZ9

fisheyes.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1337705757|3200947 said:
The 2.89 transitional ring from jbeg is gorgeous, but I am a bit weary since the EGL report says the diamond's depth is 53.5. I would actually prefer the 2.67 over the 2.89. I know the 2.67 seems to get dark during pictures, but that diamond shines in the videos, especially when it was in the Julia bezel. Here's the link, check out those photos and videos, I think the diamond looks gorgeous in these pictures and videos.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEGSignatureSettingsandSpecia/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Julia-Bezel-Solitaire/13197667_hDLW3L/994926919_LzcZX

I had emailed Grace regarding the shallowness of the stone, and she said, "The 2.89 is a shallow stone, yes, but its a bright stone and really does not display that darkness that it seems to like to pick up from my camera."

and as for the 2.67, is that album of that particular diamond? It lists it as 2.68 K in that album.

I wish shopping for an old cut is as relatively "easy" as shopping for a RB. HCA, Idealscope, DONE.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can you ask for more pics? Perhaps from the side, less "glamor" shots? Can you ask directly about fish-eye? Though I have to admit I might be too chicken to ask that of a seller... maybe phrase it somehow... call it a girdle reflection or something.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337705974|3200951 said:

I got the same sentiment from Gypsy. She had said she has an 'interesting' personality, and isn't happy about returns. She wasn't 100% positive about the fisheye, though, and had warned me to get that checked while getting appraised.

So is this a no, 100%?

You can see the fish eye in all the shots but the hand shot. Could be that it is not apparent in real life or the hand shot could be photo shopped. I have had a stone with a bit of fish eye -- my mom's stone -- from leakage not girdle reflection. It does affect performance a little. I would not proceed with no evaluation period.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
madelise|1337705635|3200945 said:

Sorry, it's a confusing story and I tried to shorten it. I found this ring originally on eBay and Etsy. It sold while I was still trying to get my SO to look at old cuts, to "convert" him to loving the chunky, colorful flashes ;( so I never got a chance to even communicate with the seller. Well, before I even got a hold on JbEG, I just shot off an email to the seller, requesting if she get anything "like that" again, to let me know. She responded that she'd keep me in mind. After I already started actively contacting JbEG and other vendors, that seller contacted me saying that she found out her associate had sold it to another vendor, who is a friend of theirs, and that she'd try to get it back to show it to me. Only 2 nights ago did she confirm she was able to get it back, but that her friend had already found a buyer, so she'd have to know ASAP from me if I can buy it. She doesn't want to pry it away from another potential buyer for me, and have it shipped in from the east coast to the west coast, just for me to play "looksies", which I get. She assured me this was no selling act or ploy, as when I contacted her, it had been sold and removed from her listing for a while already. I know she isn't lying about that, but I'm just nervous because it's a rushed decision. I've made a lot of rushed buys and ended up screwed, so I'm weary. And to top it all off, the seller wants me to meet THIS weekend, and make a decision.

I'd have to last minute pull up an appraiser who can meet with us at a time that's convenient for both SO and I. We only have Friday available, but I already have quite a bit going on that day. All my appointments that day will be pulling me in all different directions of travel, and I guess that only adds to my anxiety.

So no, it's not a "fair" position to be in, but it is what it is, and I'm all frazzled up. What if I miss out on a great opportunity because I can't pull myself together to make a quick decision? What if I freak out and buy too quickly without getting properly educated? Gypsy really likes this one, and I do, too. It's the nervousness due to the rush that's making me anxious.

I have to say this sounds totally implausible. She sold the ring to a friend who now has a buyer ready to pull the trigger? If that's really true, why would the person who now owns the ring send it back? Makes no sense. Suffice it to say, I would proceed with extreme caution with this vendor and would not allow myself to be rushed into anything.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Idk armywife, that dark spot is still showing up to me, even in the video! I'm really curious as to how it will look in person!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1337706336|3200959 said:

I have to say this sounds totally implausible. She sold the ring to a friend who now has a buyer ready to pull the trigger? If that's really true, why would the person who now owns the ring send it back? Makes no sense. Suffice it to say, I would proceed with extreme caution with this vendor and would not allow myself to be rushed into anything.

Oldest trick in the book! Do not feel pressured for that. Read my tagline ;))

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have to agree with Kennedy. The situation sounds too implausible and the pressure is suspicious.

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
I feel odd answering a call for two PS veterans, but I happened to see the OWD video on youtube this morning when playing music to make lunches/breakfast to and I noticed the inclusion right away, so I thought I would chime in. (I still have OWD in my youtube subscriptions from when I was looking for a stone).

I agree on the fisheye in the first stone. I would pass. I have a small RB that has a fisheye, and I see that same pattern in stone 1.

The OWD stone, I see the inclusion quite clearly since it's under the table. Is it supposed to be eye clean from a reasonable distance? The camera shot IS very zoomed in, perhaps you can't see it from a regular distance, but it is very clear in that video.

jbeg #1 I also think it looks dark in that one area of the center.

jbeg #2 I am not a fan of the faceting on that one. When I was looking for my stone I found a post by Yssie where she talks about "mushy" looking areas of old stones. I thought it was a really good post and avoided stones that didn't look clear and crisp. jbeg 2's facets don't look sharp/crisp enough for my liking, but I guess it could be the photography.

I will try to look for that post by Yssie.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1337706430|3200963 said:

Idk armywife, that dark spot is still showing up to me, even in the video!

I am not a fan, the faceting is very imprecise under the table, can you see that mandalise compared to the 2.6ct L that I linked? There is also leakage showing clearly in the bezelled photos. You can see leakage in old cuts better when they are in enclosed mounts. Now, it could be worth further evaluation if the price is right. But for me, I would take the 2.6 L over that stone in a heartbeat. Have you seen many old cuts mandalise? It is not like modern RBs where color is a huge factor between two stones IMO, because everything else is so identical. You have to consider the stone as a whole.

If I were you I would consider this ring too. The maker's mark suggests it is a single stone mount: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251065618364?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1337706471|3200964 said:

I agree with dreamer madelise- her response is not sitting well with me at all, to the point where it seems like a bunch of BS - and again, it's too risky to make such an important and expensive purchase without having the option of a return policy. I don't like her pressure tactics and would not give her my business. There are most definitely other diamonds out there!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1337706178|3200954 said:
The first stone has a fish eye. If they allowed you a two week inspection maybe chance it to determine if the fish eye was apparent in person, or if a girdle polish would remove it -- fish eye is sometimes a rough girdle reflection. But with no returnsies, pass.

The 2.67 is worth further evaluation. I am not super optimistic because it is not a make I *personally* prefer -- I like a smaller table and more precise facet pattern. But if it is priced well and you see it in person and like it, then that could be a winner.

The 3.13 J at OWD has a very large table inclusion. I would not be ok with that. Otherwise worth further evaluation.

This is my favourite stone in terms of cut that JBEG have. It is tinted, and likely lower than L, but cut trumps all in my opinion:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/260ct-Old-European-Cut-OEC/21994229_p3XQkm#!i=1754541490&k=d4G5wZ9

Thanks for responding, DreamerD. And for the lovely drawing and explanation. I do agree that I like that pattern on the L, and I don't even know how to explain WHY since I'm not knowledgable.. but it is very pleasing to the eye. But I'm trying to get to the golden 9mm, and I don't know if I'm okay with an L. I haven't seen anything lower than a J, minus one poorly cut O-P. Grace is bringing along that exact diamond for me to see, just to get a feel for my color sensitivity. I kind of actually do like that off-round look to it, too. Almost cushion-y.

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
I like Dreamer's pic, that 2.60 jbeg is the nicest of the bunch! It is a bit pricey though.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337706962|3200973 said:
Dreamer_D|1337706178|3200954 said:

Thanks for responding, DreamerD. And for the lovely drawing and explanation. I do agree that I like that pattern on the L, and I don't even know how to explain WHY since I'm not knowledgable.. but it is very pleasing to the eye. But I'm trying to get to the golden 9mm, and I don't know if I'm okay with an L. I haven't seen anything lower than a J, minus one poorly cut O-P. Grace is bringing along that exact diamond for me to see, just to get a feel for my color sensitivity. I kind of actually do like that off-round look to it, too. Almost cushion-y.

Well then let your eyes pick. Pass on the pressure-tactic diamond ring and then educate your eyes and go from there. You are in SUCH an enviable position to see stones in person!

I have seen many old cuts and fully love the cushiony oldies. I think that stone is fairly tinted, a low EGL L perhaps. Whether that will matter or not to you... wait and see. Big old cuts are RARE indeed, well cut ones even more so, high color ones almost impossible to find.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1337706882|3200970 said:
Dreamer_D|1337706471|3200964 said:

I agree with dreamer madelise- her response is not sitting well with me at all, to the point where it seems like a bunch of BS - and again, it's too risky to make such an important and expensive purchase without having the option of a return policy. I don't like her pressure tactics and would not give her my business. There are most definitely other diamonds out there!

Thanks for the kick in the head. I needed that. I was feeling very skeptical but at the same time, skeptical of my own skeptics. If that makes sense. I didn't know if my heart flutter was out of fear or excitement, and couldn't read my own intuition. Quacks like a duck, is a duck.

And as for the other diamonds out there.. it's proving quite hard to find! :razz: I always feel like a nuisance to be emailing everyone all at once, then I get confused on who I am even contacting for what.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1337706720|3200969 said:
junebug17|1337706430|3200963 said:

Idk armywife, that dark spot is still showing up to me, even in the video!

I am not a fan, the faceting is very imprecise under the table, can you see that mandalise compared to the 2.6ct L that I linked? There is also leakage showing clearly in the bezelled photos. You can see leakage in old cuts better when they are in enclosed mounts. Now, it could be worth further evaluation if the price is right. But for me, I would take the 2.6 L over that stone in a heartbeat. Have you seen many old cuts mandalise? It is not like modern RBs where color is a huge factor between two stones IMO, because everything else is so identical. You have to consider the stone as a whole.

If I were you I would consider this ring too. The maker's mark suggests it is a single stone mount: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251065618364?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

That price is really tantalizing, and the setting is pretty! But I doubt that's a J like the seller claims? It looks much darker to me?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results