shape
carat
color
clarity

calling all PS vendors...upgrade question...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
hi everyone,

i was hoping you can give me some insight on the economics of upgrades.

a little background info...my original ER was a 1.56ct D VS1 H&A RB which i received in 2003. earlier this year, i brought it back to the same B&M place on 47th street and upgraded it to a 2.51ct E VS1. i currently live in HK so did most of the corresponding with the jeweler via email & phone. he was satisfactorily responsive.

fast forward 4 months later and some serious bouts of DSS, i''m starting my initial research on another upgrade to a 3.3 to 3.5 ct E SI1 stone. i''ve emailed the jeweler twice over the past 3 weeks and still no response. i called him yesterday and was unable to reach him because he''s at a conference. i''m beginning to feel like he''s not interested in helping me with this upgrade.

so my question is...are upgrades not really considered profitable transactions or something (i.e. they''re offered more so to provide good customer service). my first upgrade was 200% more than the original ER so maybe that''s why he was more helpful but this upgrade will hopefully be no more 40% or so more. am i getting brushed off because this is considered a ''low profit'' transaction. I really hope that''s not the case since i won''t be able to upgrade anywhere else (at least not for the full value).

thank you so much!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many vendors are at a conference in Las Vegas right now. I imagine that it is not easy to find a stone with the specs you want. 3 carat stones are not common, and 3 ct. H&A stones are rare. Are you sure you want to go from VS1 to SI1? You might be able to see the inclusions in a 3+ carat stone.

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
hi diamondseeker,

thanks for your quick response.

so there really is a conference...good to know. wonder why he can''t just take a minute to write back over the past 3 weeks just to acknowledge that he''s received my email. oh well...

as for the stone...i''ve actually never seen a SI1 stone. i''ve just read alot about them on PS and how they can be eye-clean and i was hoping to find one of these. so you think i won''t like them, huh? hmmm...maybe i need to rethink my plan. i''m not in a huge rush. in fact, the next time i''m in NY will be around christmas so i have at least 6 months.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many, many people on here have and like their SI1 stones! I am more clarity sensitive than many. But when you get into 3 carat stones, the inclusions are more significant. I was concerned since you are used to VS1 which is extremely clean. VS2 would probably be an easier transition, but there is a very big price jump when you go over 3 cts. I''ll try to find Butterfly''s recent upgrade experience where she tried a 3 ct. SI stone, and I think ended up returning it.

Here are some pictures of different SI clarities:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Clarity/SI/

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2008 10:25:01 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Many vendors are at a conference in Las Vegas right now. I imagine that it is not easy to find a stone with the specs you want. 3 carat stones are not common, and 3 ct. H&A stones are rare. Are you sure you want to go from VS1 to SI1? You might be able to see the inclusions in a 3+ carat stone.
DS - I've just been wondering about this - I know the general wisdom is that the inclusions will be easier seen in a larger stone, but don't they still have to be minimal enough to receive the SI1 grade and its corresponding description? (ie. only visible with magnification to a trained eye).
(Assuming of course that we're talking AGS/GIA).
I guess what I'm asking is, will a 3ct SI1 be effectively "worse" in clarity than a 1ct SI1..?
ETA: lol, were typing at same time..!

Diamondnut, I'm sorry for the threadjack as I didn't think this warranted a new topic - but pls feel free to ask for it to be moved if you like hon
5.gif

I've just seen a few members saying this lately, so thought would ask DS before I forget!

Diamondnut, with re. to your question, I can't say for sure as I think it would depend on the vendor - how much they want/need the business, how strong their customer service is, etc. But as DS mentioned, the conference he's at is probably Las Vegas, so maybe just wait until thats over and call again? Good luck with your search!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would suggest that you contact the retailer again somewhere next week.

That you could not get him on the phone is entirely possible. Him not replying to e-mails in a time-span of three weeks is uncommon. Maybe, something went wrong, and he missed your mails.

I think that any retailer would currently jump at the occasion of being able to sell such an upgrade to a 2-Ct, especially with prices of these sizes having shooted up in the recent past.

On the other hand, +3Ct-stones are not in huge availability nowadays, and maybe, he is awaiting to contact you until he can give you a concrete proposition.

This is just guesswork, of course, but you should not worry too much, I think.

Live long,

spike13

Shiny_Rock
Having done conferences before, it''s incredibly busy. I imagine one in Las Vegas is even more hectic what with all the non-conference distractions and folks wanting to meet and network. I wouldn''t take it personally that you''ve not received a response yet.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2008 10:37:34 PM
Author: diamondnut
hi diamondseeker,

thanks for your quick response.

so there really is a conference...good to know. wonder why he can''t just take a minute to write back over the past 3 weeks just to acknowledge that he''s received my email. oh well...

as for the stone...i''ve actually never seen a SI1 stone. i''ve just read alot about them on PS and how they can be eye-clean and i was hoping to find one of these. so you think i won''t like them, huh? hmmm...maybe i need to rethink my plan. i''m not in a huge rush. in fact, the next time i''m in NY will be around christmas so i have at least 6 months.
Just to let you know, there are larger diamonds which are SI1 clarity and eyeclean. For example, Mara has a close to 2.5 carat SI1 which is eyeclean, and KristyDarling''s 3.5 SI1 is also eyeclean!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-james-allen-custom-solitaire-is-here.35528/

Just keep an open mind, you could find that an SI1 is clean to your requirements if one comes along.

Jenna51580gr

Shiny_Rock
I have a diamond that is 2.39 I SI1 and it eye clean. I think for a 3 carat + you''ll need to see the SI1 in person. My diamond has a tiny feather that I was able to cover with the prong so I can not see it all.

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
thanks everyone for your feedback. DS, thanks for hunting down those threads for me. it looks like finding my desired stone will be like finding a needle in a haystack. as long as i know it exists, i''m patient
1.gif

i''m actually still doing preliminary research so i''m quite open minded about what i''d like.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
when you get to my age.....everything looks eye clean.
28.gif

my wife''s 3.34ct SI1 looks eye clean to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results