color
clarity

Brian Gavin recut complete!

ChrisES

Shiny_Rock
Wow, amazing! Congrats!

rook02

Rough_Rock
Can you explain to me the whole process? Did you have to have the stone shipped (with insurance) and cost of that? Also, did you have the stone re-appraised or recertified?

WileyCan

Rough_Rock
As a new user scouring these forums and as a guy researching his soon to be made engagement ring purchase this intrigues me.

For only $350, I could purchase a much lower quality stone and have it re-cut to an Ideal/Excellent level. Potentially raising the value of the stone by more than 350 and end up saving money rather than buying higher end from the start?

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
rook02|1355226789|3328354 said:
Can you explain to me the whole process? Did you have to have the stone shipped (with insurance) and cost of that? Also, did you have the stone re-appraised or recertified?

Hi! I received the diamond about 15 years ago and wore it until almost 5 years ago when I bought a 5 stone band. So, the diamond just sat in my jewelry box with the intention of getting it set into a pendant, but I never got around to it. I finally decided to send it to Brian Gavin to see if it was a candidate for a recut. I sent it registered mail, insured per BGD request. The cost to ship the stone was about $25. Once they received the stone, it took a few days for Brian to determine that it was eligible to be recut and do the analysis. I gave the go ahead and it took about 7 weeks. Brian then ran the new tests and emailed them to me. They still have my diamond so I haven't seen it yet. Jamie did say that it was an amazing transformation. I'll be deciding how to set it and getting the finished piece right after Christmas. I plan on getting an appraisal for insurance purposes. I personally don't care about getting the stone sent to AGS because I'll never sell it. I know some people do have their recut diamonds sent to a lab though.

I hope this helps!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
WileyCan|1355234351|3328425 said:
As a new user scouring these forums and as a guy researching his soon to be made engagement ring purchase this intrigues me.

For only $350, I could purchase a much lower quality stone and have it re-cut to an Ideal/Excellent level. Potentially raising the value of the stone by more than 350 and end up saving money rather than buying higher end from the start?
Not all poorly cut stones are contenders for a recut. You could potentially loose a lot of weight or have inclusions that don't allow for recutting. There also is a risk of the stone cracking during the recutting process.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your recut turned out beautifully! You won't go wrong however you choose to set it.

I finally had my diamond recut by Brian set in the BGD Halo Bezel pendant and I love it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results