shape
carat
color
clarity

Branded Stone or Virtual Stone

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
So, my BF and I are finally getting ready to purchase a ring for me. Right now, our budget allows basically two options. We could purchase a branded H&A stone or buy an excellent cut stone from a virtual inventory.

Right now, with our budget, we are looking at about a 10-15 point difference between a H&A stone or a virtual stone. On average, that is roughly an increase of about 0.20mm-0.25mm. Is that enough of a size increase to go for a virtual stone rather than a branded stone? Will I really notice the cut quality enough that it's worth a smaller size? (I'm being rather vague on specific sizes and budget because there are about 4 different stones we are looking at (2 H&A and 2 virtual) and we haven't put anything on hold yet.)

In terms of virtual stones, right now my main concern is clarity. We are looking at H-I color and SI2 clarity stones to maximize budget and size. I'm not necessarily clarity sensitive, but right now the only diamond jewelry I own is my diamond studs, which don't get looked at very closely. So, I don't know how much I will be scrutinizing this diamond and how much I will be able to see. I have viewed diamonds in person before, but always under the infamous spotlighting which I think hides most inclusions. One diamond report says it has a twinning wisp and feather. The other has crystals and a feather.

I can post some specific numbers, angles if needed. BF isn't very helpful with this because he just says to get whichever one I want. Though I should add that he doesn't think there will be much difference in "sparkliness". So, which do you think I should go for?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You wouldnt want to buy an SI2 without see it first. I would go with james allen. You can search by angles and table %, then pick ideal cut. then you just have to look at the certs to see if it has good angles or not. Takes a little more searching but that way you're gettig a great stone that you can see as well as get light performance information, but arent pay for the branded cuts like a Brian gavin or a whiteflash.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only other question is, do you plan on keeping this stone forever or might you ever upgrade? If you do, go with WF, GOG or BG. But if not, then you could go with someone like JA that at least will show you pictures of the stones and give you an idealscope image. I wouldn't consider any vendor that doesn't provide those. IDJ is another option.

diamondloveaffair

Shiny_Rock
if you are on a budget, go with neither.

A branded diamond comes with it a premium cost. A virtual stone puts you at risk (especially with SI2 diamonds) and the honesty of the diamond dealer if you get them assess on your behalf.

try to get hold of images/videos or whatever additional data to help you make better decisions.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so I've narrowed it down to two choices and now I need some help making a decision.

One diamond I have on hold at GOG. It is a superior H&A and I have already talked to Sarah on the phone about it. It is an I SI2, but she assured me that it is mostly eyeclean. She said that holding the diamond 4 inches from her eyes, she could faintly see the inclusions. But, they are white and small. She said that she thought it was a great SI2 because you got the price break for its SI2 grade, but the inclusions were not readily seen. She also said that she was confident that the I color would not be a problem because of its cut.

The other diamond is currently set in a second hand ring. The ring is about 5 years old. It is only 4 points smaller than the diamond at GOG, and its diameter is 0.12mm smaller. However, it is an H SI1. It is also a super ideal diamond and is currently set in a quality setting that I like and that is in my ring size.

Depending on which setting I would purchase from GOG, these two diamonds/rings will basically be the same price. I cannot decide for the life of me which one I should go for! On one hand, I like the higher color and clarity of the secondhand ring. On the other hand, the GOG diamond is in a carat range of what I had hoped for. So, the size is a little more "mind clean" for me, even though it's not that much bigger. I also have worries about the fact that the secondhand ring is 5 years old. Should I be worried about that?

Someone please help!!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Yayyyy so excited for you to be really looking at stones now!!

Based on the two options you gave, I think the tiebreaker would be how well the secondhand one performs. Just because it's super ideal doesn't mean it'll have the same cut quality as the GOG one. It might, but you don't really know until you see it. Spec wise, they sound very similar to me but I'm not uber sensitive when it comes to distinguishing between single grades. From what you are saying though, it sounds like you are leaning toward the H&A deep down so I would just go with that. What is keeping you from it?

Personally I don't put much stock in fussing about whether it is an "old" diamond or not, because for all you know the "new" diamonds you buy from stores could have been traded in from someone's upgrade or sold back to them, etc. Diamonds don't magically absorb bad energy or vibes from its previous owner ;))

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
MayFlowers|1368051333|3443043 said:
Ok so I've narrowed it down to two choices and now I need some help making a decision.

One diamond I have on hold at GOG. It is a superior H&A and I have already talked to Sarah on the phone about it. It is an I SI2, but she assured me that it is mostly eyeclean. She said that holding the diamond 4 inches from her eyes, she could faintly see the inclusions. But, they are white and small. She said that she thought it was a great SI2 because you got the price break for its SI2 grade, but the inclusions were not readily seen. She also said that she was confident that the I color would not be a problem because of its cut.

The other diamond is currently set in a second hand ring. The ring is about 5 years old. It is only 4 points smaller than the diamond at GOG, and its diameter is 0.12mm smaller. However, it is an H SI1. It is also a super ideal diamond and is currently set in a quality setting that I like and that is in my ring size.

Depending on which setting I would purchase from GOG, these two diamonds/rings will basically be the same price. I cannot decide for the life of me which one I should go for! On one hand, I like the higher color and clarity of the secondhand ring. On the other hand, the GOG diamond is in a carat range of what I had hoped for. So, the size is a little more "mind clean" for me, even though it's not that much bigger. I also have worries about the fact that the secondhand ring is 5 years old. Should I be worried about that?

Someone please help!!

COuld you post a link to the stone that's on hold?

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I would post the link, but I'm worried that someone will figure out what second hand ring I am looking at and then swipe that one from me. Instead, I will post the pics and details from the GOG stone.

Table--56.4%
Depth--61.7%
Crown Angle--34.2
Pavilion Angle--40.9

The only other thing I am worried about with this diamond is that when I plugged it into the HCA (which I know probably wasn't necessary), it came back with a score of 1.3, but only a Very Good in the scintillation category. Also, I realized that I didn't ask Sarah if it was eyeclean from the side. I will send her an email asking that too.

pandabee, the second hand ring is also a branded H&A. So, I feel like I am comparing apples to apples in terms of cut. I'm not really worried about the diamond being "old", more the setting. Plus the setting that I would get with the second hand ring costs more new than I would be able to spend with the GOG diamond. I'm looking at about a $600 setting with the GOG diamond and the second hand ring has a setting that costs $875 new. I'm not worried about bad karma or anything because the seller is upgrading, not selling due to divorce.

maydiamond1.jpg

mayidealscope.jpg

mayaset.jpg

mayhearts.jpg

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
I think I know which second hand ring you are talking about, and it's definitely a great performer
I would go for it also because I think it is more eyeclean than the GOG one and you get the setting :)

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
istase2000|1368055998|3443101 said:
I think I know which second hand ring you are talking about, and it's definitely a great performer
I would go for it also because I think it is more eyeclean than the GOG one and you get the setting :)

So you don't think there is an issue with the setting being 5 years old? It does have an issue with a prong and so I will probably be paying to get that fixed. When I mentioned this to Sarah at GOG, she said that working on the ring like that would mess with the integrity of the ring. Does anyone know if this will be an issue?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MayFlowers|1368051333|3443043 said:

Someone please help!!

How much is the setting worth, MF? New + preloved value? Do you plan on upgrading down the line?

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1368081622|3443260 said:
How much is the setting worth, MF? New + preloved value? Do you plan on upgrading down the line?

I know that new, the setting is worth $875. It is 18K white gold and the seller says she had it repolished within the last 6 months and will have it repolished and rhodium plated before sending it to me. There is an issue with a prong though. It has a tiny groove in one of the prongs. She said that she can't even see the groove, but can feel it with her finger. Since it's on a prong, I am worried about how much that has affected the security of the stone and I would want to get it fixed.

In terms of how much the setting would be worth pre-owned? I have no idea how to estimate that.

Also, in terms of upgrading, I am still on the fence about that. My dream ring is about 5 times our current budget and I can't see myself ever spending that much for a ring. But, a smaller upgrade like around 0.25 carat jump, I would be willing to do if BF agreed. So, upgrading isn't something that I am really planning to do, but if the opportunity presented itself, I would probably take it.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
MayFlowers|1368055694|3443099 said:
I would post the link, but I'm worried that someone will figure out what second hand ring I am looking at and then swipe that one from me. Instead, I will post the pics and details from the GOG stone.

Table--56.4%
Depth--61.7%
Crown Angle--34.2
Pavilion Angle--40.9

The only other thing I am worried about with this diamond is that when I plugged it into the HCA (which I know probably wasn't necessary), it came back with a score of 1.3, but only a Very Good in the scintillation category. Also, I realized that I didn't ask Sarah if it was eyeclean from the side. I will send her an email asking that too.

pandabee, the second hand ring is also a branded H&A. So, I feel like I am comparing apples to apples in terms of cut. I'm not really worried about the diamond being "old", more the setting. Plus the setting that I would get with the second hand ring costs more new than I would be able to spend with the GOG diamond. I'm looking at about a $600 setting with the GOG diamond and the second hand ring has a setting that costs $875 new. I'm not worried about bad karma or anything because the seller is upgrading, not selling due to divorce.

The HCA's metric "prefers" stones that are cut more shallow than this diamond is. It's important to remember that HCA cannot "see" the stone, but the folks at GOG can. I also know that Jonathan at GOG has a personal preference for diamonds that are cut the way this stone is, and they are very beautiful, sparkly diamonds. So no worries with the HCA score, in my opinion; the stone scores under 2, so that's really all that's important at this point -- the images and GOG's visual inspection will give you more information than the HCA.

If you are not sure if you will upgrade, but aren't ruling it out in the future, I think this diamond is a good option, if you can live with the inclusions -- they will no doubt show more in some lights than in others. Would you consider having the diamond sent to you unset, so you could live with it for awhile and return it if the inclusions bothered you?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results