shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD Return policy?

angelicchick

Rough_Rock
I just got my ring back from BGD, and... it looks so awful on my hand. Is it possible to exchange the setting with them? It's a beautiful setting, but my fingers are just too stubby for such a dainty band. Also, I think the 6 prongs make the diamond look tiny.

What BGD solitaire setting would maximize a 1.15 ct diamond?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's a stock setting, I'm sure you can exchange it.

For what it's worth, I hate dainty bands on my hand too. Sorry you didn't love your ring, but you will find a better setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure you will get a setting that is going to make the diamond look bigger unless you go with a halo. I've had 4 and 6 prongs and I don't think one makes a diamond look bigger than the other. I'd consider a setting with side stones or a halo to get more size.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
Not sure you will get a setting that is going to make the diamond look bigger unless you go with a halo. I've had 4 and 6 prongs and I don't think one makes a diamond look bigger than the other. I'd consider a setting with side stones or a halo to get more size.
great suggestion!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it's always best to try on similar styles in person on your hand before buying online because of this problem.

I don't know if BGD will exchange honey, I think their settings might be non-returnable. And this isn't their fault, it's yours. I would call and talk to Leslie herself (only) and explain the problem and see if you guys can negotiate something.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely see if you can exchange it for one of their halo settings.

I just looked on their website, it says you have 15 days to return.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1331176904|3143666 said:

This is good news! I exchanged my setting three times before I was happy. Sorry you were disappointed. If you have some time before the 15 days is up, I would try on different settings, different mm shanks and get a feel for what looks good on you before you reorder.

I sort of disagree a little bit, I have seen diamonds that look 'swallowed up' by prongs before, and have thought that had the stone been set in a 4 prong it would have appeared larger. This may not be the case for you, BGD does great work and from what I've seen his prongs aren't bulky or large, so it may just be that you will want to consider a halo or side stones like DS suggested.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619 said:

good news- is contact them ASAP and go out today to a local store and try on various setting styles

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if you already considered this - but will your wedding band be worn with the ER? If so, is it possible the wedding band style will sort of "pump up the volume" of your current setting? Just wanted to throw that out there....

angelicchick

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help. I'm so ashamed that I don't like it, after putting 6 months of thought and angst into it. It's complicated by the fact that I ransacked the house to find it and try it on before the bf proposes to see if I like it. :oops: I'm so embarrassed.

Right now, I think the Novela Patientia would be a better choice for me. Band still isn't huge to shrink the diamond, but looks better on my finger. Plus, it will look great with the Novela band, which was my first choice for a band.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
You have quite the issue on your hands, don't you! I hope your boyfriend is understanding of your change of heart on the setting. If I were you I would get myself to a jewelry store with a good selection of solitaire settings and try stuff on. What part of the ring do you find too dainty for your hands? I looked at the shank width for their 6 prong ring and the Novela and they are the same but I realize that you might have a different 6 prong ring than the one I looked at.

ETA: Don't be embarrassed. Just come clean with your boyfriend and let him know you feel. I think you'll feel better once that happens.

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock
angelicchick|1331219389|3143910 said:
Thanks for the help. I'm so ashamed that I don't like it, after putting 6 months of thought and angst into it. It's complicated by the fact that I ransacked the house to find it and try it on before the bf proposes to see if I like it. :oops: I'm so embarrassed.

Right now, I think the Novela Patientia would be a better choice for me. Band still isn't huge to shrink the diamond, but looks better on my finger. Plus, it will look great with the Novela band, which was my first choice for a band.

You best come clean and be quick about it, it might cause some ripples around the homestead but if you guys are truely the ones for each other you'll work it out.

angelicchick

Rough_Rock
I think I'm going to give him the weekend to propose, and, if not, come clean then. He was just complaining about how I always ruin surprises last night. I just feel terrible about all this. I'm almost too embarrassed to contact BGD; they've been so patient already!

We're under a bit of a time crunch both because of the return window and because he's being deployed in 2 weeks :(( so I really hope this weekend is It.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Let us know how the return goes. Does BGD have a different return policy on their stock versus custom settings?

EDIT: just asked, and custom settings are final.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no!! I didn't realize you found the ring, tough position to be in!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree with what marymm said above. An engagement ring is worn for a relatively short time alone. Adding the right wedding band is the key. With a classic solitaire, you can wear almost any width band to make the overall proportions look right on your hand.

And very seriously, the Novella Patientia is just not going to look any different than the one you have as far as the overall look on your hand. The prongs are just not that intrusive on BG settings for a 6 prong to look much different than a 4 prong. Plus, 6 will protect the stone better from potential chipping.

I looked and cannot find return or exchange information on the BG site. I strongly suggest calling them just for information so that if the setting cannot be returned, you don't mention it to your BF because there is no point in upsetting him if it can't be exchanged.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would call them ASAP and give them a heads up on the issue. Find out what your options are and then talk to your guy. s

I think a nice four prong head might help you.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1331253438|3144509 said:
I would call them ASAP and give them a heads up on the issue. Find out what your options are and then talk to your guy. s

I think a nice four prong head might help you.
+1

If they know the situation (you are waiting on a proposal) they may extend the time frame. Maybe, once it is on your hand --- you may just find it is the right setting for you. It will also look different when sitting with a WB, as noted above.

Give them a call -tell them what's going on...

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock
angelicchick|1331225340|3143996 said:
I think I'm going to give him the weekend to propose, and, if not, come clean then. He was just complaining about how I always ruin surprises last night. I just feel terrible about all this. I'm almost too embarrassed to contact BGD; they've been so patient already!

We're under a bit of a time crunch both because of the return window and because he's being deployed in 2 weeks :(( so I really hope this weekend is It.

Alright, Here's the thing that bothers me, and I gotta speak my mind on this so you know and please understand. This isnt something that you need to drop on someone deploying in 2 weeks time. :nono:

I'm sorry, a a veteran who's deployed several times while in the military, this isnt something he needs to be worried about just before he goes who knows where for a 90 day to 1 year deployment. There's a bit of stress on you as well I understand, but as the person who's going away this can so screw with your head in ways you likely dont even want to think about. Consider what everyone else is saying about the options to modify the setting or adding the wedding band. Dont do this to the both of you.

alright, my conscience is now clean given the information at hand

Sincerely,
A Vet

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ravinmad|1331254888|3144555 said:
angelicchick|1331225340|3143996 said:

Alright, Here's the thing that bothers me, and I gotta speak my mind on this so you know and please understand. This isnt something that you need to drop on someone deploying in 2 weeks time. :nono:

I'm sorry, a a veteran who's deployed several times while in the military, this isnt something he needs to be worried about just before he goes who knows where for a 90 day to 1 year deployment. There's a bit of stress on you as well I understand, but as the person who's going away this can so screw with your head in ways you likely dont even want to think about. Consider what everyone else is saying about the options to modify the setting or adding the wedding band. Dont do this to the both of you.

alright, my conscience is now clean given the information at hand

Sincerely,
A Vet

GOOD POINT. And also something to call BGD about. Tell them that your guy is deploying and ask them if there is any way they can extend your return time. Not for cash, but for and exchange for a different setting.

angelicchick

Rough_Rock
I've decided to just keep the ring, after looking at it a few more times. I think a pair of 1.5 mm eternity bands will make it look much better on my hand, as will growing out my nails. Yes, I'm totally rolling my eyes at myself here; I'm ridiculous!

I wanted to note that the future fiance wouldn't care if I wanted to change the ring, other than being a little annoyed at the process of sending it back. Since I did all the research, picked out the ring, am contributing to the cost, and am the one who has to wear the ring, he just wants me to be happy with it. We'd just be under a bit of a time crunch. If it were something that would upset him, I'd never bring it up before going overseas.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That post sounds a bit more positive - that you are coming to like it more and appreciate the addition of a WB will enhance it. I'm glad for you --- NOW STOP SNOOPING AND LOOKING AT IT!!! ;)) :wink2: :nono: Poor FFI will be broken hearted if he's not going to get an honest reaction when he proposes!! It will be yours soon enough... hang in there sweetie, its only a matter of a few days... :))

After it is officially yours, what if you expressed some of these concerns to FI - what you've posted above about the look on your hand. Maybe while he's deployed he wouldn't mind you changing it.... But as Ravinmad said, this would be pretty low on his totem pole of things, at the moment.

Good luck - and be SUPER-SURPRISED when the moment happens!

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
I confirm that an eternity band (or several!) will certainly enhance the look of your solitaire, it really adds the extra-bling that will make your diamond pop even more :love:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
So glad you're going to keep it & keep any MORE stress away from you both during a stressful time. BUYERS REMORSE is very, very common & difficult to tell from *genuine remorse*. Unfortch, there's the pressure of "return periods" etc -- but, honestly, if you don't like it in a year or two you can change settings then. You won't REALLY know how it all works out until you're wearing it w/a band. MANY people end up not liking their engagement ring when paired w/a band & then having to switch the whole thing.

One little note -- so many gals start off thinking they want flanking bands (a pervasive drive toward the symmetry that people are used to) -- but end up realizing that the DIAMOND looks so much bigger when the e-ring is just paired w/a SINGLE band.

Iluvprettyrocks

Shiny_Rock
angelicchick|1331325502|3145171 said:
I've decided to just keep the ring, after looking at it a few more times. I think a pair of 1.5 mm eternity bands will make it look much better on my hand, as will growing out my nails. Yes, I'm totally rolling my eyes at myself here; I'm ridiculous!

I wanted to note that the future fiance wouldn't care if I wanted to change the ring, other than being a little annoyed at the process of sending it back. Since I did all the research, picked out the ring, am contributing to the cost, and am the one who has to wear the ring, he just wants me to be happy with it. We'd just be under a bit of a time crunch. If it were something that would upset him, I'd never bring it up before going overseas.

I can relate to the rolling of eyes at one self. :D Don't beat yourself up too much, though. You are the one that will be wearing it ALL the time and looking at it ALL the time and if you just aren't happy with it don't TRY and talk yourself into it especially if your fiance is okay with you changing it. If possible, go and try on different styles/band widths in person...that "should" help :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that is good! That is a great setting to pair any kind of wedding band! I'd warn you not to go with less than a 1.8 on a pave band, though, because we've heard of problems with the thinner bands. I also agree with deco that one band is usually better because a diamond can get lost if you wear a band on both sides. But go try on different styles with your ring while he is deployed and see what look you like best!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results