shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD Princess Recut - From Ugly Duckling to Swan

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Suzy, I think your sentiments about your stone are what engagements are all about :love:

Congratulations on your beautiful new stone and thanks for posting all the technical information for us.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, it looks fabulous! :appl:

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
bright&shiny said:
Fantastic result! The technical aspects look wonderful - but I'm also curious about the visual difference. Can you describe them? I imagine it is much more sparkly...even though the original ASET looked as if it had a lot of reflection - if not a great cut. I've been wondering about recutting a stone - and this has put me one step closer to doing so. Congratulations :appl: :appl:

The stone will come back to Brian Gavin after recertification from AGS. Brian has agreed to take some pictures of the loose diamond when he gets it back. I will post here. Recertification can take up to two weeks (but I'm hoping it will be less).

I will not have a first hand review of the stone's performance until I get it back in its new setting which is still a ways off. You are right that the diamond as it was prior to the recut had a lot of reflection. It was very bright, no dark spot, but we could always see the off center "X" and that portion of the diamond where the "X" was always seemed to stand out from the rest of the stone, so it was noticeable, however not dark.

I hope you decide to do your recut, I vacillated for years, but now that it's over, I'm glad I did it.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Echidna said:
Suzy, I think your sentiments about your stone are what engagements are all about :love:

Congratulations on your beautiful new stone and thanks for posting all the technical information for us.

Thank you Echidna, I'm glad you concur. :bigsmile:

We could have certainly replaced it with a bigger diamond and just put this in a jewelry box drawer to collect dust, but I could not.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
Incredible transformation! Wow!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
And the results are in!

First, the GIA cert (Pre BGD Recut)

GIA cert.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
The AGS Cert (post BGD Recut)

BGD AGS.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond improvements:

Color came up from an I to a G
Clarity came up from VVS2 to VVS1
Polish came up from GIA Good to AGS Excellent 1
Symmetry came WAY UP from GIA Fair to AGS Ideal 0
Light Performance not rated by GIA is now an AGS Ideal 0

Am I happy?
You betcha! :naughty:

Brian has the diamond back and he will take pictures of it loose before setting, I will post here as soon as I get them.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
awesome! can't wait to see pics/read about your opinions of how it looks now.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry I've missed this story - wow! I cannot wait to see your 'new' diamond and ring! This is one of those stories that makes your heart feel good and really leaves you looking forward to the finished product.

I'm just happy for you!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
slg47 said:
awesome! can't wait to see pics/read about your opinions of how it looks now.
I'm looking forward to seeing Brian's pictures of the diamond. They will be better pictures than I could ever take! It will still be awhile before I actually lay eyes on it, so all I get are pictures for now.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks said:
I'm sorry I've missed this story - wow! I cannot wait to see your 'new' diamond and ring! This is one of those stories that makes your heart feel good and really leaves you looking forward to the finished product.

I'm just happy for you!
Awww, thank you MissGotRocks!
Yes, it's definitely a win win.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
SuzyQZ said:
Diamond improvements:

Am I happy?

Brian has the diamond back and he will take pictures of it loose before setting, I will post here as soon as I get them.

WOW...that is AWESOME....can't wait to see it. Are you resetting this into something new also??? :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a mighty fine improvement! Though not totally relevant, this new diamond would retail for so much more than it would in its original incarnation.

I am a little shocked by the color grading results. That is a massive jump. Since color grading is done face down, the cut should not have affected it that much. Makes me believe the rumours that GIA is stricter than AGS or that grade creep really is happening. This is not to malign your diamond at all, but it must be acknowledged that two color grades difference in grading, especially G to I which is a very pricey difference, is substantial!

I would be very curious to hear Brian's comments on color. He is very good at judging color. In his estimation, is the stone closer to a G or an I? If you can ask I would be very greatful 8)

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Taylorbug! said:
SuzyQZ said:
Diamond improvements:

Am I happy?

WOW...that is AWESOME....can't wait to see it. Are you resetting this into something new also??? :appl:
Yes, new setting for the new improved look. BGD is making it, of course!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I am a little shocked by the color grading results. That is a massive jump. Since color grading is done face down, the cut should not have affected it that much. Makes me believe the rumours that GIA is stricter than AGS or that grade creep really is happening. This is not to malign your diamond at all, but it must be acknowledged that two color grades difference in grading, especially G to I which is a very pricey difference, is substantial!

I would be very curious to hear Brian's comments on color. He is very good at judging color. In his estimation, is the stone closer to a G or an I? If you can ask I would be very greatful 8)

I was also curious about this...is it possible that the asymmetry in the cut caused the stone to appear more colored? (sort of how color is more noticeable at corners/edges?) I'd be really interested to see what Brian has to say! Either way it is going to be really stunning

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
That is a mighty fine improvement! Though not totally relevant, this new diamond would retail for so much more than it would in its original incarnation.

Dreamer:

I've forwarded your request to Brian via Jamie.

The price factor is something I actually have thought about. I believe it is now worth more than DH originally paid for it, even though it is smaller in ct weight. I've done a princess diamond search on BGD website and compared my diamond stats to other AGS graded premium princess diamonds and I must say, I am very pleasantly surprised! The difference in price between the purchase price 12 years ago and the current price of an equivalent diamond was quite substantial.

Regarding the color, to me, an untrained nonprofessional layperson, the "I" grade it got from GIA always seemed a little harsh. I actually was predicting the color grade would go up one level at recertification, but I never expected two. It will be interesting to see what Brian says, if he has time to respond. I actually spoke to him last night, it was 12:30am (his time) and he was STILL in the office. I don't know how he does it!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
slg47 said:

I was also curious about this...is it possible that the asymmetry in the cut caused the stone to appear more colored? (sort of how color is more noticeable at corners/edges?) I'd be really interested to see what Brian has to say! Either way it is going to be really stunning
I was thinking (again I am NOT an expert) that just losing all the bottom heavy ct weight in the recut actually gave it a higher whiter color. Kind of like when you stack several pieces of window glass together; when it's just a single sheet the glass appears clear, but if you continue to add more glass sheets, the color gets greener and greener the more glass sheets you add. FWIW, to my eye, it always faced up very white, never looked like an "I" in real life.

Brian is no doubt very busy tending to his clients. I hope he can post an answer, either himself or through Jamie. We'll see.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
SuzyQZ said:
slg47 said:

I was thinking (again I am NOT an expert) that just losing all the bottom heavy ct weight in the recut actually gave it a higher whiter color. Kind of like when you stack several pieces of window glass together; when it's just a single sheet the glass appears clear, but if you continue to add more glass sheets, the color gets greener and greener the more glass sheets you add. FWIW, to my eye, it always faced up very white, never looked like an "I" in real life.

Brian is no doubt very busy tending to his clients. I hope he can post an answer, either himself or through Jamie. We'll see.

Hmmm, yes, I forgot that your stone lost a lot of junk in the trunk of recut... this is very possible and could account for one of the color grades if error/random variance accounts for the other.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
SuzyQZ said:
slg47 said:

Hmmm, yes, I forgot that your stone lost a lot of junk in the trunk of recut... this is very possible and could account for one of the color grades if error/random variance accounts for the other.
Yes, junk in the trunk it was!! :lol: A major liposuction of the bottom half, indeed!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
ChunkyCushionLover said:
SuzyQZ said:
Grlsbestfrnd said:
Wow, what a difference! It's beautiful now :love: Congrats!!

P.S. Great job Brian!
I call him the "diamond whisperer".
I thought a recut would just blow this diamond to smithereens because of the drastic corrections required.
But Brian came through for me with flying colors.
I left the entire recut process up to him.

Once again very cool I'd love to see a video of your stone. I looked for a BGD signature princess and can't seem to find any on his site.

I've since found out that the BGD website search engine wasn't picking up on the AGS 000 Princess cuts, it is now. If you do a search for princess cut, you will now get several results with the AGS 000's on top.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
PICTURES!!!

Jamie/Brian were nice enough to take and email me some glamour shots of my diamond.
Per forum policy, I've removed their logo from the pictures.

Here we go...

SuzyQz Recut1.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Pic #2

SuzyQz Recut2.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Pic #3

SuzyQz Recut3.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Pic #4

SuzyQz Recut4.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Pic #5

SuzyQz Recut5.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Last one.
Pic #6

SuzyQz Recut6.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Side note, you can place multiple images on the same post now, in case you do not know that. :razz:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results