shape
carat
color
clarity

Better color or cut??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shoemortgage1979

Rough_Rock
Another question...Is it better to have a great cut with ideal proportions and a low color (good clarity also), or would it be better to have a higher color grade with an average cut (good clarity)????
33.gif

USFBulls

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/1/2005 1:59:41 PM
Author:shoemortgage1979
Another question...Is it better to have a great cut with ideal proportions and a low color (good clarity also), or would it be better to have a higher color grade with an average cut (good clarity)????
33.gif
from what little i know....i believe cut is probably the most important C

it seems a good cut can allow a lower color to look better face up

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
If you are talking round stones, many people would arge there is more than one way to achieve a good cut. Color and clarity are masked by better cuts. More leeway here than anywhere else.

If you are talking cushions or Old Mine cuts, you won't find "good cuts" unless they are newly cut or recut from what they originally were. Even then, a bad cut is sort of the mark, and shows the characteristics. Plus color and clarity are also characteristics, so a slightly yellowish stone will match an antique setting more than other similar colored stones in other shapes.

If you are talking princess stones, there is still a jury out on what a good cut is... Can't go below a color threshold or you're looking at a yellow stone, unlike round stones, which cut can help mask a BIT...clarity can be masked to a SI1 or so.

If you are talking radiant stones, good luck in finding a good cut, only your eyes can tell you, but even then you would prefer a good cut, but not a low color (clarity can be sacrificed sometimes).

If you are talking emeralds or asschers, pears, ovals, hearts, etc, then finding a good cut would be tough, but sometimes not AS important as color and clarity can not generally be sacrificed below a GOOD SI1... Even that is not good for most. Emeralds and Asschers require a better color and clarity than almost all other stones because of how they are cut.

If you are talking the new square cuts, like Jubilees, Sq. H&A, it's all really about cut...They are made to be cut with precision, so color and clarity can be lower, no problem. Cut won't be an issue as much because the cut is still controlled by one party, and there are no groups of cutters all over the world with lower standards to mess up the cuts...

Your question is simple in rounds, but not so simple in other stones... it all depends. To me, diamonds are as individual as people and I would never make a judgement call on them, as one man'd junk is another man's treasure...

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I''d dump clarity first. Go down to SI1 if you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results