shape
carat
color
clarity

Assuming this checks out to make me a 3 stone ring....

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1334357213|3170537 said:
armywife13|1334347700|3170410 said:
TravelingGal|1334346331|3170387 said:
23rd street, Dreamer.

Army's wife, when it comes to scale, you barely notice the prongs. It's sort of a "crown" appearance, vs beadset. In fact, I thought it was beadset when I first saw it. They just look like tiny little dots. Maybe dreamer can properly scale this down for me... :rodent:
I personally love lots of prongs, I was thinking of getting the 8 prong Julia from jbeg before they made their announcement. I was just making a suggestion based off what dreamer said about the prongs. The bead set octagonal bezel came to mind because I am on an octagonal bezel kick right now while I decide on my own setting, it's my setting "flavor of the month" :lol:

I like the setting for your 3 stone, can't wait to see how it turns out! Are you doing it in yellow gold like the pictures? Platinum? Unplated white gold(yummmmm)?

Platinum. I just love the weight of platinum and the patina on antiquey looking pieces.

I still am looking at options. I need to go back to Hill street for another reason, so now that my budget may be a bit better, I will check in with Ari again to see what they can come up with. Hopefully the final decision will be made next week and I can put a deposit down and get the project underway.
Oh I can't wait to see what Ari comes up with, I love their pieces!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like it. It combines a lot of elements of the rings you were looking at before. I think it's going to be really lovely.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1334366700|3170596 said:
I really like it. It combines a lot of elements of the rings you were looking at before. I think it's going to be really lovely.

Wow, that's a big stamp of approval, coming from you as I have always respected your eye for design!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: that is gorgeous!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do have a concern about this type of setting leaving the thin girdles exposed. Bezels would be safer, but with octagons, it wouldn't be real bezel. Do you think there is a way to set the stone lower into the octagon and bead set the stone in? Or do you think this would be fine as is?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1334368281|3170631 said:
I do have a concern about this type of setting leaving the thin girdles exposed. Bezels would be safer, but with octagons, it wouldn't be real bezel. Do you think there is a way to set the stone lower into the octagon and bead set the stone in? Or do you think this would be fine as is?
I can't seem to get this pic to attach. And this is the third time I'm trying to post this. But short answer. Yes, and for the reasons stated by you I too would prefer this option. Here's a pic of how it can be done (and I'm sure the prongs can be less obtrusive in execution).

Okay I can't get it to let me attach anything. I'll post it tomorrow if it lets me. Short answer though is yes.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAH! I BEAT IT.

8619_X.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1334395053|3170771 said:
HAH! I BEAT IT.

Awesome Gypsy thanks! I had some pics saved demonstrating what you were saying, but the one you found is much better. Printing it out, and I will ask them! It will change the design a bit, but I think it will be safer....

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to how it all turns out!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1334420518|3170925 said:
HAH! I BEAT IT.

Awesome Gypsy thanks! I had some pics saved demonstrating what you were saying, but the one you found is much better. Printing it out, and I will ask them! It will change the design a bit, but I think it will be safer....
:wavey: Happy to help. Can't wait to see the final.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1334443844|3171144 said:
HAH! I BEAT IT.

I went down there today. They can do it as the picture above shows, but it just has more metal that way, and I love the really delicate look of the setting as is. She didn't think the girdles would be a problem. I have some time to think about it.

She also confirmed again when we were talking about the shank that there would be no diamonds. I said yes, unless she wanted to throw some in. She smiled and did say that it would look great with some "twinkle" and said she that might be her little gift to me. So now I have to decide on whether I want diamonds on the shank. Can a PSer even turn down diamonds? :cheeky:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1334452765|3171241 said:
HAH! I BEAT IT.

I went down there today. They can do it as the picture above shows, but it just has more metal that way, and I love the really delicate look of the setting as is. She didn't think the girdles would be a problem. I have some time to think about it.

She also confirmed again when we were talking about the shank that there would be no diamonds. I said yes, unless she wanted to throw some in. She smiled and did say that it would look great with some "twinkle" and said she that might be her little gift to me. So now I have to decide on whether I want diamonds on the shank. Can a PSer even turn down diamonds? :cheeky:

Not in my experience. A couple a single cuts on the shoulders. Just a couple, would be lovely.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1334452765|3171241 said:
HAH! I BEAT IT.

The ring will be very regal and when you are waving to the crowd--we can all see the sparkle! JUST KIDDING! REALLY!

Whatever unfolds will be wonderful...I just know it. :))

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha Sharon, I hope so. ::)

Gypsy, that's what the lady said. Just a bit of an accent...2 or 3 down each side.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1334456132|3171294 said:

Gypsy, that's what the lady said. Just a bit of an accent...2 or 3 down each side.

I couldn't say no to that. :Up_to_something:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1334457332|3171307 said:
TravelingGal|1334456132|3171294 said:

I couldn't say no to that. :Up_to_something:

Well, I don't think they'd be big diamonds. In fact, I have to figure out what they will do. In an octagon setting, the width of the shank meeting the head usually is as wide as one length of the octagon. A 5mm stone side will be a bit less than the 7, and I don't want too thin a shank. Hm.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a good point. Well, if you went with the bezel one that would give it more width to the shank as each side would be larger with the bezel to plump it up.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
With the basket being a little bigge than the diamond and 8 prongs I cannot imagine it is a risk for the diamonds. A blow would have to be really specific and targeted to hit the girdle right in between two prongs AND at an angle such that it would not be deflected by the basket. I would not worry one bit with that design, personally. I think it is very protected!

I like diamonds on the shank, and I vote three each side because uneven numbers seem better in that type of application.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I'll bring it up when we have a design meeting. I have until the end of next week to decide. I have to say though, they've been pretty cool over there at 23rd street. Prices to match, of course. :cheeky:

Dreamer, I guess that's what she was saying, but you don't know me...I am a GIANT klutz. I could chip the girdle on a bezeled stone. :lol:

Well, here's hoping. I have to go to Hill Street next week to check out a couple of things, but I love that 23rd street is so close. Makes it so easy to pop in, and it would be nice to have an awesome, local jeweler where I was a client.

I have to say though, I've been working with ERD on some things, and I just love Mark. He is such a gentleman, and helpful whether there's money in it for him or not (of course I knew that starting from when he gave me his opinion on my ering stone 6 years ago, and I wasn't even buying it from him.) I wish this project was easier for me to give direction, because from the PS vendors, he'd probably be my first choice. I'm just not good at design, and Mark is probably not a mind reader. :rodent:

ETA, thanks both for you input. If all goes well, I may have it done in 5 or so weeks!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Gypsy, I noticed your mentioning IDJ a lot around here. I'll be waiting some thin stackable bands to go with this ring. What do you think of IDJ's stackables? I think a lot of people are buying IDJ lately...is it something since I'm PS picky, I can buy just online, or should I contact them to speak to them about it?

IDJ's stackables are more cost effective than anything else I've seen from PS vendors so far...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1334466204|3171381 said:
Hey Gypsy, I noticed your mentioning IDJ a lot around here. I'll be waiting some thin stackable bands to go with this ring. What do you think of IDJ's stackables? I think a lot of people are buying IDJ lately...is it something since I'm PS picky, I can buy just online, or should I contact them to speak to them about it?

IDJ's stackables are more cost effective than anything else I've seen from PS vendors so far...

I've bought from them twice.

Once for my MIL. We wanted diamond hoops for her and I wanted to work with a vendor that had stock items, not custom. It was so easy to call Yekutiel and tell him my budget, that I was on PS and have him recommend back a pair to me. And the earrings are gorgeous-- seriously amazing. This was just at the start of the price hikes and the earrings I bought were old stock. Couldn't have touched them for that price otherwise.

Second purchase was a budget wedding band for a friend: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/our-friends-beautiful-engagement-and-wedding-rings.171767/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/our-friends-beautiful-engagement-and-wedding-rings.171767/[/URL] I knew GOG also carries Gabriel and Co, so I decided to get a quote from them and it was 200 bucks higher for the exact same band. So... no brainer. The timeline wasn't strict, they just needed it before the wedding band so I ordered it 3 months out. Order was perfect and arrived in time. This is a stacking band and it's BEAUTIFUL. Really lovely. I wanted to run off with it.

I also almost bought an OEC from him, he mailed it out to me for evaluation with a deposit. It was a gorgeous stone but I found a bigger and whiter one (although uncertified and the ID had a lab report), service was great that time too.

And I also contacted him for sidestones for the sapphire I just sold. But ultimately didn't keep the sapphire. His price was WAY lower than anyone else for a gorgeous pair of half moons. Joe Escobar here pulled a comparable pair for me at triple the cost!

I always call and ask to talk to Yekutiel. I prefer generally to talk to my vendors. And I find it's easier to tell them what's important to me and what isn't. And I usually follow up a verbal with an email that confirms the conversation. That's just the way I deal with vendors, period. If diamond color is paramount, or the faceting, or the timing (or whatever) I just lay it out from the start. You know how direct I am.

Yes, telling him you are from PS clarifies your expectations as a customer. PSers have a standard they expect and ID caters to very non-PS customers also (people who just want cheap things and don't care about color or clarity or cut). So it's a preferred short hand with them so they know the baseline. Also tell him who you are on PS. Also with ID, he has a TON of stuff not on his website so if you talk to him he can recommend things for you that aren't there and send you a pic.

When I called for the earrings, I called originally about a pair listed on the site. But when I told him I was from PS he told me flat out that they weren't PS quality at all. The pair he suggested for me was the same price and honestly twice as nice as the pair I called about. It wasn't on his site (it was the last pair he had). So it's totally worth talking to him.

Sometimes the lead times on his orders run long so if timing is important I would stress to him that you have a timeline and that if there is any delay you expect him to contact you. Just be direct.

:wavey:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, thanks! I have asked around and so far it's mixed reviews. And it's been mentioned about the long lead times too.

I appreciate the thorough email and the good tips. I'll still keep them in mind!

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
Love the setting that Gypsy suggested. I think this will turn out gorgeous. What are you doing with the rest of the brooch?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
sapphirering|1334521761|3171717 said:
Love the setting that Gypsy suggested. I think this will turn out gorgeous. What are you doing with the rest of the brooch?

Probably sell it to an antiques dealer so he can do something with it. 23rd street has offered at cost to put in aquas for me and rebuild it, but honestly, I will never wear it. Plus they would choose the stones, and as a PSer, I'm not sure I'd like what they pick...being picky and all.

Still, depending on what I can get for it, I may go that route, in which case I'd ask for it to be made into a pendant.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Hi Tgal! :wavey: What a beautiful project you are working on! I haven't posted in a long time, but, I do have a question...Are you working with the Santa Monica location? Or Manhattan Beach? I didn't even realize 23rd Street had a Manhattan Beach location until recently.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miranda|1334595197|3172399 said:
Hi Tgal! :wavey: What a beautiful project you are working on! I haven't posted in a long time, but, I do have a question...Are you working with the Santa Monica location? Or Manhattan Beach? I didn't even realize 23rd Street had a Manhattan Beach location until recently.

Manhattan Beach. Their salespeople travel back and forth to the two stores though.

I haven't made my final decision, but so far it has been a pleasant experience. My only concern is I don't believe that they routinely deal with PSers...so may not have an understanding on how crazy we can be.... :lol:

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Good luck! And thank you!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miranda|1334595620|3172409 said:
Good luck! And thank you!

It's good to see you btw. Are you thinking about a new project? :naughty:

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Good to see you too! I see your baby is now an adorable little girl! My 'baby' is starting college in the fall so enjoy your sweetie because time goes by so fast. Yes, I have a project in the works as we speak. I traded my oval for a 8mm rb. It's currently being set in a temp setting, but, that's turning into more drama than I expected so I'm thinking I might just bite the bullet and put it in a forever home now. Though, I'll be hemmoraging money for the next six years with my oldest starting college and his younger brother going two years after that!!!! Puts a bit of a damper on major bling purchases. Darn that they're such good students! :lol: And darn that we visited private schools before UCs. The UC dorm bathroom situation is gross! I should have taken him to prisons first...Then public schools would seem so nice! Anyway...I won't threadjack and further, but, I am so glad I saw this thread. Manhattan Beach is conveniently located for me!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to see it!!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results