shape
carat
color
clarity

Assuming this checks out to make me a 3 stone ring....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last batch

l099_2.jpg

m111286298.jpg

m619729560.jpg

RT-103_1.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
That last one is ERD's Royal T collection and if I want to stay with the round shape, I think it's quite pretty.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES! Three octagonal bezels. TOTALLY read my mind.

Tell me T-gal. Will you be okay with it if you sell the brooch and it happens that the new buyer just takes the diamonds out anyway?

Also, Tourmalines. Green Tourmalines. Custom cut by Barry. Affordable and beautiful.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1331101209|3142648 said:
YES! Three octagonal bezels. TOTALLY read my mind.

Tell me T-gal. Will you be okay with it if you sell the brooch and it happens that the new buyer just takes the diamonds out anyway?

Also, Tourmalines. Green Tourmalines. Custom cut by Barry. Affordable and beautiful.

Well, that is precisely why I wouldn't take anything but the higher end of the consignment range. It would have to be worth my while, and I'm sure in the end I wouldn't know what the buyer was doing with it. But I want it to be the higher end so I know at least it's going at a higher retail price with a better chance of staying intact.

I forgot, are tourmalines higher on the MOH scale than aquas? I also like a higher RI, and think tsavs would win over tourms, but would be more expensive as well. If I go green, I can wear it yearly for xmas, lol.

ETA, meant to say it's not the ONLY reason why I'd want more money. Another reason is that I'm a greedy ho'. :rodent: But now y'all have me thinking again, so I'll shut up and go back into my hole to think. :rolleyes:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Green (good, not dark) tourmalines may not be that easy to find right now. Barry was looking for a green for me maybe 5 months ago and he had the hardest time. Most are really dark, and they wont look good once bezeled. Plus tourmalines aren't the easiest to bezel.

Prima gems have very affordable tsavs in the calibrated sizes, and their colors are amazing. If you like a more vivid green, I recommend that. I have some loose ones from them right now, plus a bunch of barry gems. If you wanna see different types/colors/cuts in person, you know how to find me. ;-)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1331102177|3142656 said:
Green (good, not dark) tourmalines may not be that easy to find right now. Barry was looking for a green for me maybe 5 months ago and he had the hardest time. Most are really dark, and they wont look good once bezeled. Plus tourmalines aren't the easiest to bezel.

Prima gems have very affordable tsavs in the calibrated sizes, and their colors are amazing. If you like a more vivid green, I recommend that. I have some loose ones from them right now, plus a bunch of barry gems. If you wanna see different types/colors/cuts in person, you know how to find me. ;-)

Might be time for lunch! :wink2:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a greedy ho too. No worries. I get it. I was just asking.

Okay. So I too GREATLY prefer the higher RI of tsavs. But for a brooch I wouldn't be as picky as I would be for a ring. And tourmalines would be more affordable. I do think the Moh's is harder than Aqua's. And I think the RI is higher too. But tsavorites are better.

You could wear it for Saint Paddy's day too.

Earlier this year I bought an emerald and diamond stacking band. I was pretty sure I would wear it for a while and re-sell it because well... it's GREEN. How often do I wear green. Much to my surprise I wear it often. It adds some color to my life and I actually love. It's a rich glowy green and it makes me smile. So I'm happily keeping it.

I think you'll get more wear out of green than you think. As for wearing a brooch to the grocery store. I've seen stranger things.

FORTE-- I keep TRYING to contact Prima gems. What am I missing. Do you have an email addy for them you can post? I tried to contact them through their website and no response. I can call, I suppose, if that's how everyone is talking to them.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I call them!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1331102442|3142660 said:
I'm a greedy ho too. No worries. I get it. I was just asking.

Okay. So I too GREATLY prefer the higher RI of tsavs. But for a brooch I wouldn't be as picky as I would be for a ring. And tourmalines would be more affordable. I do think the Moh's is harder than Aqua's. And I think the RI is higher too. But tsavorites are better.

You could wear it for Saint Paddy's day too.

Earlier this year I bought an emerald and diamond stacking band. I was pretty sure I would wear it for a while and re-sell it because well... it's GREEN. How often do I wear green. Much to my surprise I wear it often. It adds some color to my life and I actually love. It's a rich glowy green and it makes me smile. So I'm happily keeping it.

I think you'll get more wear out of green than you think. As for wearing a brooch to the grocery store. I've seen stranger things.

FORTE-- I keep TRYING to contact Prima gems. What am I missing. Do you have an email addy for them you can post? I tried to contact them through their website and no response. I can call, I suppose, if that's how everyone is talking to them.

I LOVE your emerald diamond stacker - don't sell that thing, for sure!

I'll start calling around this week to get a good idea of setting costs, and replacement stone costs. Might as well get a few more ducks in a row and then decide. Ay.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331102395|3142659 said:
ForteKitty|1331102177|3142656 said:

Might be time for lunch! :wink2:

I'll be around this weekend, lemme know!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal yes, I am incredibly color sentive, in part because I have owned so many diamonds of different colors and spent a lot of time looking at them in different lighting I think.. My 1ct is an EGL I color. I think it is likely a J, though with old cuts it is so hard to really tell. It might be a K by GIA standards. It faces up white and does not act like my J-K RBs did in some lights, but other times it looks more tinted. Anyways, I think the half carat is an H by GIA standards, maybe an F-G by EGL. Color differences do not show up in every lighting environment. But there are some lighting environments where more tinted stones *really* change and pick up environmental colors, and less tinted stones do not. And that difference in optical performance would bother me a lot in a three stone where the stones are so close to one another. It is very noticable to my eye comparing these two diamonds. I would not pair them in a ring.

I also was very underwhelmed by the optics of the 4mm stones I saw last week and I think they were pretty well cut. It is harder to do a really good cut on such a little stone with the methods they had 100 years ago, I think. And I would not be happy with poor optics in side stones -- they look over dark. I decided to give it one more try and ordered a 4mm stone this week that looks really well cut from the images online. If that stone leaves me cold in terms of optics -- or just cannot keep up with my 1ct which is exceptionally cut and has a distinct flavour (later cut, favours white light), then I will conclude that a three stone OEC ring is not in the cards.

I have always wanted a three stone with diamonss! But my Aurora is really the same "look". I don't know if I would want to wear a diamond three stone at the same time as the Aurora. The rubies add a really nice contrast. I'll decide when I get the 4mm stone. I can always get diamond sides later.

Another reason I think you should keep your diamonds is they are such awesome cuts. They have the "bubbly" faceting I love, like my half carat. Fire mania.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331103202|3142669 said:
TGal yes, I am incredibly color sentive, in part because I have owned so many diamonds of different colors and spent a lot of time looking at them in different lighting I think.. My 1ct is an EGL I color. I think it is likely a J, though with old cuts it is so hard to really tell. It might be a K by GIA standards. It faces up white and does not act like my J-K RBs did in some lights, but other times it looks more tinted. Anyways, I think the half carat is an H by GIA standards, maybe an F-G by EGL. Color differences do not show up in every lighting environment. But there are some lighting environments where more tinted stones *really* change and pick up environmental colors, and less tinted stones do not. And that difference in optical performance would bother me a lot in a three stone where the stones are so close to one another. It is very noticable to my eye comparing these two diamonds. I would not pair them in a ring.

I also was very underwhelmed by the optics of the 4mm stones I saw last week and I think they were pretty well cut. It is harder to do a really good cut on such a little stone with the methods they had 100 years ago, I think. And I would not be happy with poor optics in side stones -- they look over dark. I decided to give it one more try and ordered a 4mm stone this week that looks really well cut from the images online. If that stone leaves me cold in terms of optics -- or just cannot keep up with my 1ct which is exceptionally cut and has a distinct flavour (later cut, favours white light), then I will conclude that a three stone OEC ring is not in the cards.

I have always wanted a three stone with diamonss! But my Aurora is really the same "look". I don't know if I would want to wear a diamond three stone at the same time as the Aurora. The rubies add a really nice contrast. I'll decide when I get the 4mm stone. I can always get diamond sides later.

Another reason I think you should keep your diamonds is they are such awesome cuts. They have the "bubbly" faceting I love, like my half carat. Fire mania.

Man, I wish I could run this thing by you. The only thing I think I when I see it is "ooh, pretty. Sparkly!" And I've been on PS for many, many years. Shame on me!

But I do love fire (I know you tend toward enjoying white light return better.) The brooch diamonds perform as nicely as my e-ring stone, in all the lighting conditions as I see (they tend to get a bit more steely in direct sun compared to my ering stone though).

Another thing that I am wondering is how they will get these stones out safely without damaging the brooch. The center seems like it could be done, but the two end stones are covered by the pin (the closure and pin hinge.) Do they take things out of the top of from underneath? Dumb question, but I don't know how they'd do it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
To get stones out of bezels with minimal damage to BOTH requires a REALLY good bench. Fortunately you are probably in the best city outside of NY for good benches.

Dreamer: have you considered non-round sides? If it were me and I wanted a three stone I'd seriously consider pears. Then you don't need to match faceting, except to each other. I love the ruby idea though and it allows you to use the setting you have coming. And it allows you to, later on sell them or use them as studs if you decide to do diamond sides. Win/Win.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ignorance is bliss TGal, you don't want to see color differences do you? Better not to go looking. In bezels it won't be as apparent. And if you don't go looking for it, you won't see it most likely.

Gypsy, pears is an interesting idea, but I don't like pear optics and also they would need to be fairly tinted to match my OEC and that is not my preference. I think they would just perform really differently. Yes, I am OCD about this.

And I have the mount already! It is so pretty. No one yet has taken really good photos of it, it is super delicate and the undergallery is really pretty. I also have the rubies. They are sitting in the mount now with my 5mm diamond sitting there in the center as a place holder too, all balanced in my ring box with the solitaire beside it, and I look at it about every three seconds to decide how I feel :lol:

I love it on one hand, and on another, is it a three stone without three diamonds ;)) I always loved LisaRNs diamond and ruby three stone, though, and my husband loves the look. It is really beautiful and unique. And symbolic. I want this ring in part because it is our fifth anniversary this May, and diamond is my birthstone and ruby my husband's, and there are three men in my life -- hubby and two little boys -- so three stones with the center so much bigger is such a pretty symbol of our family and what we have "made" together in the last five years.

You know what is funny? I have *never* set any diamond into a nice/pricey mount ever in all my diamond hijinx. This will be the first time! I have performance anxiety. I need to pull the trigger and "git 'er done" as my husband says :rodent: . I have the mount and the stones! But I want to see the 4mm diamond, and also perhaps pop a fakey in the center the same size as my 1ct OEC so I can really see what it looks like! haha. I am a loon. Setting commitment phobe.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331104383|3142677 said:
But I do love fire (I know you tend toward enjoying white light return better.) The brooch diamonds perform as nicely as my e-ring stone, in all the lighting conditions as I see (they tend to get a bit more steely in direct sun compared to my ering stone though).

Another thing that I am wondering is how they will get these stones out safely without damaging the brooch. The center seems like it could be done, but the two end stones are covered by the pin (the closure and pin hinge.) Do they take things out of the top of from underneath? Dumb question, but I don't know how they'd do it!

I meant to say, I am a fire convert now that I have seen what a nice "bubbly" OEC can do. My half carat is my ideal OEC really -- hardly any tint, super high crown, no leakage to speak of, fire mania, and good white light. It is a really special stone. Too bad I can't just order one up just like it in the size I want, 6.5-7mm :lol: My 1ct favours white light return. Beautiful too! Just a different flavour.

As to the bezels.. :?: :?: :?: :tongue:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can order one just like it. BGD will custom cut any diamond for you.

But it will cost you. :$$):

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that's it's hard to match stones. I went through months of searching when I matched 2 for earrings at about 4.3 mm and I'm trying it again at about 5.9-6 mm. I've been looking for 6 months and so far have several non-matching stones.

I like the idea of the piece staying intact, but think it's going to be hard to find 3 matching stones again without months of searching or paying a premium for someone to find them for you.

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
I like the idea of keeping the brooch intact, too. But that's in theory only. If I bought it'd I'd rip those OECs out and make myself a gorgeous 3 stone ring. The I'd find some pretty gemstones, fill in the brooch, and sell that baby! :lol:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh - so many options. If you really are committed to the three antique stone idea - maybe you SHOULD keep these stones. I think aquas would look amazing and very period-appropriate for the brooch. Fakey pads? To "go" w/your ring? Or what about Onyx? Or Moonstone? (Can you tell I'm anti-color!) Or you could sell just the brooch for the 1K as offered earlier (though that stops the option to reunite all pieces if the three stone didn't work out as planned somehow -- or didn't end up getting the wear anticipated.)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1331108558|3142701 said:
You can order one just like it. BGD will custom cut any diamond for you.

But it will cost you. :$$):

Huh, I never thought of that. But... pay.... full... retaill.... can't breath.

Addy we should work out a tradesies ::) Maybe between us we can find some pairs!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL, OK, I'll stay ignorant and not look for tint!

Deco, I saw a brooch on ebay very similar to mine with aquas (so perhaps the diamonds were taken out). I wish I had saved the listing, because it was a very pretty example of what I'd like. It really did look "right" for the style of the piece.

Going to try to meet FK for coffee so she can tell me if I'm high and that the stones really don't match at all. ::)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since it's a wear once in a blue moon sitch ... or stare-at-in-the-jewelry-box-&-swoon ... what about, gasp, YOU KNOWS. Old cut YOU KNOWS?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1331141855|3143005 said:
Since it's a wear once in a blue moon sitch ... or stare-at-in-the-jewelry-box-&-swoon ... what about, gasp, YOU KNOWS. Old cut YOU KNOWS?

Oh, I knows, and was thinking about you knows, but not sure how you knows would hold up over time, yanno?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
how much chest bumping do you do?! :bigsmile: I have some from 2004 that have held up great. I'll bring them this weekend.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1331142553|3143018 said:
how much chest bumping do you do?! :bigsmile: I have some from 2004 that have held up great. I'll bring them this weekend.

I was thinking more turning yucky or cloudy or something vs. durability. I chest bump only when I score deals on ebay, therefore very little. ::)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet most of those Downton Abbey gems are paste. So a few you knows whilst watching Ms. Mary & eating scones w/clotted cream should be totes kosher, no?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1331143995|3143043 said:
I bet most of those Downton Abbey gems are paste. So a few you knows whilst watching Ms. Mary & eating scones w/clotted cream should be totes kosher, no?

Well, I'll check out ForteKitty's You Knows and see if it works.

(is it me, or does that just sound wrong?)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The right you knows apparently don't go poopy looking over time. I think that is a great solution. Or you could get synthetic red you knows too, those are period appropriate I believe :read: .

I have heard ForteKitty's you knows are real and they are spectacular.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331145603|3143075 said:
The right you knows apparently don't go poopy looking over time. I think that is a great solution. Or you could get synthetic red you knows too, those are period appropriate I believe :read: .

But I'm thinking the right you knows that don't go poopy (poopy, lol!) over time will cost some $$ and I might want a gem-gem for that price. But who knows....hm.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331145780|3143082 said:
Dreamer_D|1331145603|3143075 said:

But I'm thinking the right you knows that don't go poopy (poopy, lol!) over time will cost some $$ and I might want a gem-gem for that price. But who knows....hm.
True. I think you should bring back the brooch. On a tiny shrunken super pale pastel pink linen blazer? Then pin it to a great fedora. Use it as a belt clasp on a retro dress of your choice. Lets start an entire jewelry-oriented lingerie line! "Bedazzled You Knows" One way to get the fellas innerested in buying bling FOR us. :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results