shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Recommended Performance Range...huh?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
well now to save ya a ton of typing the answer is....
get pictures and ask storm hehehehehe
17.gif
17.gif
11.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2006 9:24:02 PM
Author: TierHog
...yeah...simply ask 'storm'....what was i thinkin?
hehehe sorry couldnt resist kinda in a mood tonight.
sounds great so far cept the girdle part... 1% to 4% is the norm in em.
most asschers are around the 3 range.
10%+ is the crown height.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope you dont mind if I butt in again. :}
I think this thread is kewl.
My sparse style along with your long writing.
I don't want to steal your thunder so ifin ya want me to knock it off please say so.

How far off square is too far?
I pretty much agree with the .10 but it depends on the size and some can be farther off and still be kicken but as a general rule its kewl.
on a 7mm+ stone .10+ is a lot smaller variation than on a 5mm stone.
The biggest problem isn't so much the outside variation you can go with a bigger variation and it look square.
The problem comes in that the variation is often carried into all the patterns which throws the whole thing off.
Its a case by case basis but in general .10 is a good rule.

color is a personal choice some see it some don't, some are bugged by it some aren't, as a general rule g-h is the sweet spot for appearing colorless and balanced with price for just about everyone.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
clarity - no lower than vs2 and in larger sizes they need to be checked but in the 1-2ct range they are generally safe.

polish and symmetry - x/x vg/vg both kicken
good on either is another one of those it depends things.
Which facets? how much?
When ordering online my advice is to stick to x/x vg/vg but if a vendor had a vg/g and you trust their eyes then it would be worth a look.
However I think there are way too many bad ones out there in the vg/g to g/g range to make it cost effective to have them called in.
So if its in stock and the vendor can pinpoint the problem then look at that area face up and its not visible.. kewl, calling in such stones .. well the odds of getting a kicken asscher are higher in the x/x vg/vg range.

fluoresence - i like it but its not manditory that diamond have it.

last and not least the first Law of online asscher buying..
see it in person or get pictures at the min. the numbers will get you close but they are only a small portion of the information needed.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks TierHog aka Ron for starting this thread :}
It pulls together a lot of information into one place.

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
stormrider......brother....this isn''t my ''thunder''....i don''t look at it like that. it''s just that i started replyin'' to ''isaku5''s post and thought, heck, why don''t i just start a thread for everyone who''s in isaku''s position....so, whatever it takes to help folks out. i like how you put it tho''....my long-winded-ness with your short straight shots.....as you say......''kewl''......now, as i say.....''where was i?''.....lol...

stormrider...i''m sure you''d agree when i add that if anyone else has info they can add to this thread.....please kick in!!

heck, we autta have a forum for the asscher community.....since it''s becomin'' sooo popular. asschers...as well as the emerald cuts...are so different than all the rest....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, it would sound better to talk about ''performance'' and what not with a bit of research at hand. Even if with the like of HCA and AGS grades for brilliants remains much to talk about how the results relate to personal preference and what not, it feels better to have some certain background to relate to. Without, remains a medley of ''I think'' and ''in my opinion''. Sure I have my own opinion and a copy of DiamCac, but... that is at most somewhat educated guess about what I like, not valid generalization about anything.

Is there any explanation anywhere about why the advice mentioned here (relations about depth&table, crown height, what not) work and how? Guess not. If there is, a big ''thank you'' to whoever brings it up.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im workin on it val, but im waiting to see what AGS has to say.
The angle of the first step under the crown facet is super critical as is its depth.
Its the most critical of all the facets.
Not being able to have the combos cut to verify DC findings is why im not releasing anything.
But they line up pretty good with what im seeing on helium reports for kicken asschers.

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
val...wow. i''m surprised at your reply to my post. the ''in my opinion'' is what it is....my opinion. i think i was pretty clear when i wrote (i''ve written many times...) that i''m not claiming to know much, except my experience with chosing my asscher diamond...and the considerations i made in actually purchasing one. and, all i''ve tried to do ....since i started posting on this website was TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCES. that''s it and that''s all. i really feel the need to defend myself here (which i never thought i''d feel the need to do), but, that''s not necessary because i know how sincere i''ve been while hangin'' out around here. i''ve shared myself here...feelings, thoughts....experiences................(forget it). again, no need to explain myself to your reply.

i''ll do my best to delete all i wrote last night, i surely didn''t mean to come across any way other than helpful.

today, i think it''s time to close...so, i''d like to finish by SINCERELY thanking everyone who''s given me sooo much of their time, their ''opinions'', shared their ''experiences''.... given me sooo much encouragement with their wonderful replies to all of my concerns. i''ve loved the humor, the compliments...the comeraderie i''ve felt while here...

sincerely, ron.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Ron dont take it that way, Val just gets a little grumpy when I start talking bout asscher performance but its kewl.
We strongly disagree on the importance of patterns but its kewl cuz val is way sweet and we can agree to disagree :}
She is one of my favorite people around here and didnt mean it the way ya took it.
Its all kewl :}

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw ya can click view revisions and re-add your posts but if ya really feel like it not being here then use the report abuse button and ask the admins to delete it.

edit: Ron, you know Iv been following your story from the beginning and have been cheering you on but a little thicker skin would serve you well and chill out a little.
Val is going to feel bad about your actions and that's not good.
When you put an opinion out for the world to see you have to expect someone is just not going to agree with ya.
Just the other day someone I respect a lot on here laughed at something I said that I know is accurate and it kind of stung a bit but ya know that's life and this isnt pre-school.
Now im going to get off ya case and we can return to talking bout kicken asschers :}

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
TH, I agree with storm. You made it clear you were sharing your opinion. Val and I don''t always agree but she is very sweet and kind and i''m sure she didn''t mean for her post to offend you or critique you, she was just voicing another opinion. differing of opinions are what make this place interesting, try to accept it as that and try not to take everything so personally. there is no reason for you to go and edit all your posts
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, no! I didn't mean it that way TH....

I hope you can restore the posts (the text must be saved as old versions still, click on 'View Revisions' on the bottom of each post's window to retrieve them ). It would be a shame for this thread to be killed off that way
8.gif

So, what did I mean... Not sure anymore. You see, I also like to theorize about these little darn white prisms, waiting for the next 'Tolkowsky style' paper about step cut diamonds. Or something similar. It may be that AGS will come up with something, or not. Even if AGS does release the results of their research, they may not 'keep it simple' as much as I would like from a material available publicly (which AGS research may not be anyway). So... what then? No idea, honestly. That unfortunate post was meant to be taken very ad literam: I wish I had authoritative references about this cut and tried to call for some, if there are out there.

Anyway, first tings first: please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding. I like reading your posts as much as anyone.

PS. Thanks Mrssalvo! I went away and missed the outcome of that posting. Sometimes my posts are not as clear as I'd wish ...
38.gif

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
mrs salvo.....lol....okay, okay.....hey....it''s all good. yeah, i''ve always been a sensitive guy. i''m just not used to some comments that''ve come my way most recently.
no need for valeria (ana) to feel bad here, she does have her opinion..... :)

hey, like i wrote earlier....i appreciate everyone''s help here....it has been real fun. :)

like storm wrote .....get back to talkin'' about ''kicken'' asschers.... :)

thanks again folks..... :)

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
val....hey....it''s all good. look, i''m very new to this forum stuff...with what i write, i try to make sure it comes across the way i mean it. and, with typing, it can come across ....the wrong way or in a way i didn''t mean... :) i just didn''t think the way i''ve been writing comes across as anyhing other than sincere.....also, before i begin to write somethin'' ...i usually preface what i''m gonna write with somethin'' along the lines of ''i''m not an expert''....''this is my lame opinion only''....etc, etc. i do that in hopes that when anyone reads what i''ve shared, they know i''m not tryin'' to come across as an ''expert''. i''m just tryin'' to share what comes across my mind. and, by all means, i have no problem with differing ''opinions'' or accepting someone''s difference to what i think. it''s just that lately, i''ve taken a shot or two that i know i don''t have comin''......and, lol....that''s the big bad world.

val...it''s all good. really.... :)

a sensitive guy, ron........ :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehe.

i love clicking on ''revisions: 1'' or whatever to see what people changed after the fact...most of the time it''s nothing big at all aka grammar edits or something, but after 5 minutes, if you revise your post, it shows up as a revision and people can still click to see the original post.

so revisions can be made before 5 minutes are up with no one being the wiser. well unless you get quoted within the 5 min. forum fun. tee hee.

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
lol......i ain't tryin' to win here....lol....but, damn, i can't win.... :)

a sensitive guy, ron.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results