shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET of a Daussi???

TakingthePlunge

Rough_Rock
As the title implies, I am wondering if anyone is in possesion of an ASET image of a Daussi cushion. I have been looking over AVCs for awhile now and they are certainly at the top of my list right now but I recently found the Daussi cushion and that certainly has its own charm.

It looks like a great cut in pictures but I have my doubts about those super huge pavilion facets even those are what drew my in in the first place.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2010 1:05:04 PM
Author:TakingthePlunge
As the title implies, I am wondering if anyone is in possesion of an ASET image of a Daussi cushion. I have been looking over AVCs for awhile now and they are certainly at the top of my list right now but I recently found the Daussi cushion and that certainly has its own charm.

It looks like a great cut in pictures but I have my doubts about those super huge pavilion facets even those are what drew my in in the first place.
Hi TTP,

Really if you want the best possible optics, then the AVC is the best choice. The Daussi does have its admirers however it can show leakage and or obstruction due to the proportioning, also these stones are typically cut shallow in the depth. My opinion is that the AVC would be the one to go for unless you have seen some Daussi in the size you want and have inspected them in person, also an ASET image only gives one static view of the stone and wouldn't be the best way to really see how these stones can behave and look in reality. Especially as these stones can show obstruction/ leakage an ASET isn't always going to show these necessarily or their extent as this can depend on the angle of the stone and the viewing conditions. See if you can find a dealer near you that sells Daussi or at least a video of Daussi which would give you a better idea.

But by far the best way would be to compare a Daussi and AVC in person, chances are the AVC would be the winner but then at least you would have an actual comparison. My personal opinion is that I very much doubt from what I know of the Daussi cushion that it would show the same level of optics as the AVC, but it comes down to the taste and preference of the buyer. Just do as much research and in person comparisons of both types if you can in order to make an informed decision.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Missydebby!
takingtheplunge- We've found the videos to be effective at getting the point across.

I'd put aside terms like "better optics" and "Obstruction and Leakage"- instead focus on the visual aspects, and what you like to see.
The Daussi line is incredibly popular- both in stores, and online. The Daussi stones can look amazing in person.

Being shallow allows a very large looking stone for the weight, in many cases with Daussi

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2010 2:04:14 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
Thanks Missydebby!
takingtheplunge- We've found the videos to be effective at getting the point across.

I'd put aside terms like 'better optics' and 'Obstruction and Leakage'- instead focus on the visual aspects, and what you like to see.
I personally would not suggest putting such terms aside, but in order for the buyer to make an informed choice, that they read up and learn about them so they can ultimately focus on the visual aspects they like to see with some understanding about the effects of each.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I think Daussi's are beautiful, too. I'm really curious how'd they look in an aset. It's back to Ye Olde Cushion discussion again, but to my very newbie totally unscientific mind, while they are all cushions, Daussi's vs. antique chunky vs. AVC vs. modern vs. Cushette are all so different, that it hardly seems fair to have them all called cushions.
3.gif

As always, seeing everything in person (if possible) is the best way to get a feel, but my suggestion would be to try to weed through the aesthetics by 1st looking at DBL's videos of their many Daussi rings. (I think they also have a loose Daussi stone.) Then look at Good Old Gold's video comparing a chunky cushion to an AVC. LINK

I think that might help you decide if you want to make whatever efforts necessary to see any in person.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A leak is something "bad"- we all know that.
The terms, as used, take opinion, and elevate it into some sort of physical reality.
What some call leakage, others call contrast, and find it very attractive. More attractive than stones that don''t have such contrast.
Or, if someone like one type of stone better, they can simply dismiss another stone as having "leakage" which people would naturally assume is "worse" than no leakage.
But that''s simply NOT the case.

In all too many cases, these terms are used to disparage stones that have not even been seen by the people using the terms to downgrade the stones..

Photos of leakage and obstruction( as such, for what it''s worth) show this very well.

Missydebby- I''ll see if we can get an ASET photo of a loose Daussi so you can compare.

I agree, the term "cushion" encompasses so many different looks, it''s almost a meaningless name!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I personally find the Daussi cushions increadibly ugly and would never buy one myself. But to each their own :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2010 3:06:11 PM
A leak is something 'bad'- we all know that.
The terms, as used, take opinion, and elevate it into some sort of physical reality.
What some call leakage, others call contrast, and find it very attractive. More attractive than stones that don't have such contrast.
Or, if someone like one type of stone better, they can simply dismiss another stone as having 'leakage' which people would naturally assume is 'worse' than no leakage.
But that's simply NOT the case.

In all too many cases, these terms are used to disparage stones that have not even been seen by the people using the terms to downgrade the stones..

Photos of leakage and obstruction( as such, for what it's worth) show this very well.

Missydebby- I'll see if we can get an ASET photo of a loose Daussi so you can compare.

I agree, the term 'cushion' encompasses so many different looks, it's almost a meaningless name!
I am actually not using such terms to disparage these cushions but to make the buyer aware of them as possibilities, they can then research the info given to them plus various opinions and armed with such information, make their own minds up.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Now THAT'S an honest opinion Charmypoo.
Which is completely different than trying to categorize it as a factual thing.
Taste is taste.
Just like some people find older style cuts ugly, others LOVE them.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lorelei,

How is a statement mentioning that one type of stone is "the best choice" NOT discouraging the other?

All due respect- but have you even seen a Daussi cushion in person?

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 3:06:11 PM
Missydebby- I'll see if we can get an ASET photo of a loose Daussi so you can compare.

Oh, that would be so Rad!!!

Charmy, you don't mince words, does ya! I sorta like the Daussi's. They are kinda like cool little Cushion spaceships hovering over the finger. Since it seems like I've started a Cushion collection, I just might have to add a nice soft L-R Daussi to my list...

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 3:16:59 PM
Now THAT'S an honest opinion.
Taste is taste.
RD the poster is asking for an objective measure of where these cushions are gathering light from (Angular Spectrum Evaluation Tool (ASET)). Let us not confuse an objective test about one aspect of a diamond's apperance with subjective opinions about beauty.

I think we can all agree that the image being requested is one of many factors (certainly not the only one) this customer and others may use to evaluate beauty or make an informed buying decision.

I hope you will grant the OPs request and provide one, you are one of the few vendors(or only) that post on PS that have both an ASET scope and an inventory of Daussi Cushions.

I would place more confidence and support in an online vendor who sells these cushions who is willing to provide comparison tools that allow these cushions to be compared to other styles using a structured light environment such as ASET.

Regards,
CCL

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
TTP-I would recommend seeing a Daussi in person if possible. I will say that photos usually do not do the stones justice. I own a Daussi cushion ring and a pair of Daussi cushion earrings and absolutely love them both! Glittery flashes of color!!!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 3:36:32 PM
Author: stepcutnut
TTP-I would recommend seeing a Daussi in person if possible. I will say that photos usually do not do the stones justice. I own a Daussi cushion ring and a pair of Daussi cushion earrings and absolutely love them both! Glittery flashes of color!!!
I would LOVE to see a pic of your earrings.

I was going to get a Daussi stone as my graduation gift. Of course, now I know they''re incredibly ugly I won''t, obviously.
3.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2010 3:23:03 PM
Lorelei,

How is a statement mentioning that one type of stone is ''the best choice'' NOT discouraging the other?

All due respect- but have you even seen a Daussi cushion in person?
I should have worded that differently that it is my opinion that the AVC is probably the best choice compared to the Daussi, however if you read towards the end of the post I also mention;

"But by far the best way would be to compare a Daussi and AVC in person, chances are the AVC would be the winner but then at least you would have an actual comparison. My personal opinion is that I very much doubt from what I know of the Daussi cushion that it would show the same level of optics as the AVC, but it comes down to the taste and preference of the buyer. Just do as much research and in person comparisons of both types if you can in order to make an informed decision."

I have not seen a Daussi cushion in person and I would be interested in seeing one should the opportunity arise, however I very much doubt I would ever want to buy one according to my personal taste and preference. I always keep an open mind and of course cannot say for sure until I have seen and compared various examples of this stone but as of now I don''t think I would wish to purchase one.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lorelei,
I agree, it would be far better if people phrased things in such a way that it was clear they were NOT speaking based on personal experience, instead, stating opinions, based on assumptions with no basis in fact.
Your statement that you just reprinted in bold is just as misleading.
How do you know "the chances are" another stone would be preferred?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/21/2010 3:32:14 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

Now THAT''S an honest opinion.

Taste is taste.

RD the poster is asking for an objective measure of where these cushions are gathering light from (Angular Spectrum Evaluation Tool (ASET)). Let us not confuse an objective test about one aspect of a diamond''s apperance with subjective opinions about beauty.

I think we can all agree that the image being requested is one of many factors (certainly not the only one) this customer and others may use to evaluate beauty or make an informed buying decision.

I hope you will grant the OPs request and provide one, you are one of the few vendors(or only) that post on PS that have both an ASET scope and an inventory of Daussi Cushions.

I would place more confidence and support in an online vendor who sells these cushions who is willing to provide comparison tools that allow these cushions to be compared to other styles using a structured light environment such as ASET.

Regards,

CCL
Great post CCL-= you emphasize a lot of what I am saying.
There''s many factors that go into how a diamond looks.
We can analyze them till the cows come home and never agree on one vital aspect- beauty.
Still, I have come to see that the study of the different aspects, such as ASET has a lot of value.
Both for the learning about facet patterns, as well as allowing people who have seen actual stones, and ASET''s of those stones to correlate what they have found that the aset shows.

I''ve found it incredibly difficult, using my hand held ASET to get decent photos.
Here''s my best shots of a typical Daussi Cushion through the hand held, and a photo

daussiaset.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2010 4:10:01 PM
Lorelei,
I agree, it would be far better if people phrased things in such a way that it was clear they were NOT speaking based on personal experience, instead, stating opinions, based on assumptions with no basis in fact.
Your statement that you just reprinted in bold is just as misleading.
How do you know 'the chances are' another stone would be preferred?
David, I DON'T know that another stone would be preferred as you well know, nor would I be so presumptuous to speak for another person's preference. That was again an opinion from my non expert experience and the knowledge I have of both types of cushion that the AVC could be preferred to the Daussi. Not would or should be preferred to the Daussi.

To takingtheplunge,

To sum up ( apologies for the slight deviation above), the best thing you can do is as I said earlier, try to view both types of cushion in person if at all possible and see which you prefer. If this isn't possible then try to view some videos which would give you some idea of the personality and behaviour of each diamond.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for supplying these images David, but ETA see below for help on taking ASET.

TakingthePlunge

Rough_Rock
Thanks a bunch for the images. I had watched a few videos you had placed on the net since my original post. I actually didnt expect that much red. In the "do you see purple" video i can make out your shirt in the large facets and figured the asets would show more blue. It seems those pavilions are catching a bit more of the angled light than I gave them credit for.

There is some leakage at face up but it seems on par with most chunky cushions Ive seen. Its my opinion that leakage while generally undesired can still allow for some great optics when the diamond is at off angles like it so often is while moving. Given the right setting you could work that for some great contrast to those big pavilion flashes.

So thanks once again for the pictures.

Also as side note, I love that green/yellow radiant you have on your site. If I wasnt saving for the ring I may have just bought that for her.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond, when using an ASET or an Idealscope you can not have the diamond in a tweezer.

The whole point is to color all of the light entering the crown from the horizon to the zenith straight above.

The bottom of those scopes must be lined up with the girdle, which colors ALL the light entering the crown.
The tweezers prevent this because it rises above the girdle.

Also you should NOT allow light to enter the pavilion.
The tweezers allows this.

Lack of correct set up also explains why we see different versions of red and green in the 3 ASET pics.

Doing it correctly is very simple.
Place the diamond in a holder on the table and lower the scope down onto the holder.

I would disregard these ASET images.

TakingthePlunge

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 4:57:58 PM
Author: kenny
Rockdiamond, when using an ASET or an Idealscope you can not have the diamond in a tweezer.

The whole point is to color all the light entering the crown from the horizon to the zenith straight above.

The bottom of those scopes must be lined up with the girdle, which colors ALL the light entering the crown.
The tweezers prevent this.

Place the diamond in a holder on the table and lower the scope down onto the holder.

I would disregard these ASET.
Perhaps this accounts for the red where I anticipated blue.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2010 4:57:58 PM
Author: kenny

The whole point is to color all the light entering the crown from the horizon to the zenith straight above.

The tweezers prevent this.

I would disregard these ASET.
I was trying to find a link which explains how to take these images but Kenny gave a good overview. Holding the stones in tweezers is not the best way to get accurate images.

You could try the method shown in this video, IS is shown but a similar principle works for ASET,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SfK5Nt3oXw

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the tips guys.
Can you imagine how difficult it is to hold the diamond, the ASET and the camera given that I have only two hands??

In Monday I should be able to get something to hold the diamond so that I can take a photo as Kenny suggested.

We''ve had so few requests for ASETS ( like none) that it never was an issue.
But I am super grateful for the tips!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
PS- thank you guys- Missdebby, Stepcutnut, Mrs M, and of course takintheplunge, for the nice words!!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Now THAT'S an honest opinion Charmypoo.
Taste is taste.
My statement is absolutely fact based - fact based on my preference ... hehehhe.
21.gif

ETA: I just read the rest of the thread and noticed there are a few Daussi owners. Apologies - I should have been more careful with my choice of words but no harm meant. Everyone likes different things .. some like blue .. some like pink ...

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There's quite a bit more than a few Charmy.
I can tell you that the rings sell extremely well in stores- and online.
It only stands to reason that many Daussi owners might read this..

I'll admit, PS has taught me a lot about restraint - and metering ones words.
There's things about diamonds that can be polarizing.
That's a good thing- it's because there are different styles that can be perceived to great detail by interested observers.
Makes for interesting conversation.

I'm lucky in that I can appreciate beauty in many different diamond cuts.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2010 6:18:02 PM

I'm lucky in that I can appreciate beauty in many different diamond cuts.
Yeah, I guess at DBL there's no such thing as good cut or bad cut; all diamonds are equal.
20.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results