shape
carat
color
clarity

Arrows visible in closeup mean ''well-cut''?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is interesting.

Check out this auction for 2c diamond earrings on eBay from Shenoa. If you click on the middle image where it says ''click to enlarge'' for the closeup picture, it looks as though you can see the arrows pretty clearly in the stone. Does this mean that the earrings are well-cut or at least that their cut is better than the average earring? Obviously there is no more info than the regular color/clarity/ctw as is typical for an eBay auction, but I was just curious as some of their other auctions have similar pictures. Closeups of non-wellcut stones on other eBay auctions do not yield the arrows it seems.

I''ve often wondered what the closeups of stones mean when you can see arrows pretty clearly. The ones where I have been able to view arrows easily in closeups are mostly H&A stones or similar. Is that a rule of thumb or just a factor of the enlargement?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2621320372&category=10986

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
I know I can see the arrows pretty clearly in my fiance's ring mara. But at 1.73 cts it's like looking at a close up pic
1.gif

And is it just me, or is that stone a little oval? If my eyes aren't deceiving me, then I guess that probably answers your questions about the cut, since they are graded as a round stone.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stones do look oval. In addition, they're using the same set of photos for at least one other pair of earrings, so you're not necessarily getting THE actual earrings shown. The real pair may not look anything like what they advertise (but the company does have good feedback, so I guess you're still going to get something decent by e-bay standards, that is).

Michelle

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of round brilliant ideal cut diamonds will exhibit an arrows pattern, it is merely a reflection of the pavilion main facets - it does not necessarily mean that the diamonds are well cut. Regarding the possibility of the pictures being used for multiple items, this is a common practice amongst the dealers, but it is one that seems deceptive to us. We've noticed that a lot of the dealers who claim to sell "Hearts & Arrows" diamonds often use "the same" picture for each of the diamonds in their inventory, the fact is that they should be displaying individual photographs of the specific pattern displayed by each diamond if consumers are to have accurate information by which to make a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results