shape
carat
color
clarity

antique omc bracelet. Stunning, but cut quality problems

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since my last post I have contacted two vendors and they are looking for diamonds with my preferred specs.

I the meantime I keep looking locally as well. As I explained, here the jewellery pieces are in the focus, not so much the diamonds. So I keep stumbling upon really gorgeous pieces. Mostly the diamonds are pretty ugly though. Omc/oecs are very often nailheads with dark centers and I have come across a few fisheyes. Very educational though. :lol:

I found a breathtaking 10 ctw. antique omc bracelet. Very charming, reminds me of classic royal jewellery from days past.
BUT about 50% of the stones have some sort of cut problem. And the colours aren't perfectly matched either.
Obviously one is to expect all this from an antique piece. I guess a perfect bracelet of this caliber would be widely out of my budget -if I ever find one.

Would you ever consider buying such a piece?

If I buy and the blacked out stones keep bothering me, I could maybe switch out some stones or have 4-5stones recut to get rid of the blackness. Or would you say that touching an antique piece is always a sacrilege?
I am not necessarily only referring to this piece alone, but would also like to hear opinions about the topic as a whole.
I know these question are about very personal convictions, but all opinions are appreciated....

__92.jpg

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
If it were me, I would wait and find something that I did not have to buy with the intention of already having to fix it.

Have you looked on ebay?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ruby59, yes, I have. Actually this one is also on ebay (saw it in person first, though). I keep wondering if it is realistic to think that there even are antique bracelets with 30+ stones consisting of only/ mostly well cut diamonds...

edited to add:
well obviously those top notch oec /omc honkers DO exist theoretically... I'm just talking for mere mortals like myself....

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Buying an antique piece means, in most cases, to have it as it is. There is two other options: do minor repairs or adjustments, or destroy it if the antique jewel is totally in bad shape and the value is in the main stone(s) only.
In this particular case in my opinion if you purchase the bracelet, better wear it as it is.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
kipari|1484509923|4115520 said:
Hi ruby59, yes, I have. Actually this one is also on ebay (saw it in person first, though). I keep wondering if it is realistic to think that there even are antique bracelets with 30+ stones consisting of only/ mostly well cut diamonds...

edited to add:
well obviously those top notch oec /omc honkers DO exist theoretically... I'm just talking for mere mortals like myself....

There are some OEC bracelets listed now that look pretty good. Of course, you would have to evaluate each one in person.

How many carats are you looking for and what is your price point?

Are you looking on the European site only?

Have you looked at the US one?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, thanks everyone!
Snowdrop, hadn't seen Grace's. Totally different look and period, but tdf!

ruby 59, Looking at european ebay only, since internationally one can't really do returns and even buying from well known vendors is making me a bit nervous...

I'll keep looking and give the vendors some time to come up with something in my specs...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results