shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Asscher post- 1.25? 1.5? Split shank? Help/ Opinions, Please:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chi-amiGal

Rough_Rock

So, after lurking here for 6+ months, I’ve decided to finally make a post to see if all the resident asscher experts can help me out/ give advice, etc. Originally, I was (and I am still am) a bit hesitant about doing so, in case someone were to come in and snatch whatever recommendations came up- but at this point I’m considering a range of sizes, and I’m hoping that if a few choices are available, at least one or two should still be there once it’s time to purchase (hopefully within approx. 2-6 months).

All this being said- I was originally looking for a stone in the 1.25 range and was/ am really digging one available at- let’s just say “the place to go for asschers”- I e-mailed (and I’m sure drove crazy lol) Sarah back & forth a bit about that one- but the ftb & i decided to wait a bit on the purchase, and in the meantime- after scrutinizing a close friend’s 1.62 princess cut several times/ putting it on while joking around, etc.- let’s just say I’m starting to wonder if maybe something in the 1.5 size would be a bit…..nicer

18.gif
. I do realize the same vendor above ^ has a couple in this range as well, which I’m keeping my eye on
31.gif

As far as general specs I’m looking for: D- H (preferably G+) VS1- SI1 clarity, EX, EX (though if it’s a VG, but has good light performance/ looks better in person than it does in paper- why not!)

For reference, I’m one of those small- fingered gals (size 3)
1.gif
So, yeah- I know a 1.25 would probably be just the perfect, lovely size- but, well- I’m also not opposed to something that stands out just a bit more than that
31.gif
. I split my time b/t two major metro areas- Chicago/ Miami- so I see some rocks out there…
Also, I’m looking at having it set in a delicate split shank pave setting- I LOVE Birk’s split shank, but I believe they don’t set outside stones/ even if they did, I think the price is 3- 4 K, & that’s a bit more than we’d like to spend on a setting.
I’m really liking this one at a reasonable price:
http://www.since1910.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/split-shank-pave-set-diamond-setting-24ct-tw-dm2435-set-141.aspx

Custom versions are also a consideration, and we were quoted $2,000 for one by Sarah- but- obviously- we’re still considering all options.

As far as $$$- Lol, I don’t know how my fiancé-to-be deals with me, b/c we started out with a 6/7K budget and a 1- 1.25 ct stone- and well- as you can see, I’m thinking of nudging that up a bit… To be fair though, I told him I’d put up anywhere b/t $3-5K of it myself if it means I get the ring of my dreams.
For a 1.5 ct-I’d prefer it in the 8/9K range (I don’t want to go much over 10K for the final product-and that’s the final answer, I swear, LOL)- and I realize this means it’ll probably be closer to a G-H & /VS2/SI1 for something with an awesome cut (cut is king!), but that’s fine. Point is- if any resident experts can come on here and give a few more examples that I might want to look into, or better yet- find something better than a G/H that’d be awesome! (I love Sarah, and the co. she represents, but at the same time- I’d still like to look at all possible avenues + get some opinions here).
If anyone has recommendations on those split shank settings that’d be great too- so far, I feel like I’ve seen em all- the one above, an Adwar version shown to us by DBOF (boy did they have some nice Royals there!), One by Gem Diamond Co, one by Verragio at C.D. Peacock, Daniel K’s Union Square, quite a few by Danhov on James Allen’s site, the Birk’s split shank (I tried it on with their Amorique and I ALMOST fainted!), and this one on Jeweler’s Row in Chicago http://www.diamondsonwabash.com/viewitem.asp?idProduct=292&priceRange=0x999999 (they said they could take out the baguettes but I’m iffy on that one).

And finally- If you guys think- that I should stick with an asscher in the 1.25 ct range (and of course it wouldn’t hurt to save $$)- let me know your feelings on that too. I’m just recently throwing out the idea of looking for something a bit bigger, so I may just stick with the 1.25 size, but we''ll see. (Ultimately the fiance -to- be has a bit of say in this too, and maybe he prefers a more modest size/ doesn''t want us to spend that extra $$$- I''m not sure....) Anyway, at this point- I’m curious as to what the experts here have to say.:) Whatever happens, I know that I’m dealing with great vendors & people that know their stuff- so the outcome should be fantastic (and of course- pics will be provided… when the time comes) Thank you so so much for your time and help – I’m assuming Strmrdr, Kaleigh, Decodelighted, Lauren, etc. might have a few things to say (I know that sounds a bit creepy that I’ve been reading your posts for so long, but you all are awesome, and it’s about time I came here and said, “Hi.:)” – Thank you! - Jess

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Holy cow your finger size is less than half of mine!
39.gif
Is it strange to have finger envy?

Whatever you get will look huge on your finger, even if it''s the smaller asscher. If we are thinking of the same place, I really like the looks of the 1.21 G and the 1.52 G is also popping.

Are you looking for plat or WG?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chi-AmiGirl - first of all, welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif

I'm incredibly envious of your size THREE fingers, and I think a 1.25 ct. will look quite sizeable on your finger. BUT, I also am incredibly sentimental, and I wanted my e-ring to be my forever ring, so I didn't ever want to upgrade. If my husband would have allowed me to pitch in some money to get a larger Asscher, I would have absolutely done it. I own a pretty decently cut (IMO) GIA 'G' coloured Asscher, and I think for size, I would have definitely dropped to an H, eye clean SI1.

If your purchase is anywhere from 2-6 months away, I would just suggest doing what you're doing. Work with GOG and possibly JA and WF to help you find something very well cut in your specs. It may seem like it might take a while to find the right stone, but the wait is worth it. GOG makes video comparisons, and I bet you could probably getg Sarah to model the two stones mentioned on the back of her hand, but my gut says there are some really gorgeous stones out there, so don't settle too quickly. That 1.21 really appeals to me, though, based on the video.
27.gif

As far as settings go, have you seen the Danhov Meno collection? The ME25 is one of my favourite split shank settings ever!

http://www.jamesallen.com/designer-jewelry/meno-collection-by-danhov/ring/item_294-2040.asp

Chi-amiGal

Rough_Rock
Sweet- My super long post didn''t scare people off! (I''m on vacation and currently sitting at home w/ a bad case of sun poisoning- so I had some time to write all that and check the replies today lol).

Lite brite- I didn''t really realize how small my hands are until we started looking at rings- I mean, I kinda figured (I''m half asian, about 5 ft, 95 lbs so- def. petite- just like Mom
emsmile.gif
)- But yeah- every jeweler we''ve went to has basically said it''s a teriffic thing as far as ct size goes (and looking at asschers- despite the fact they seem to face up smaller, I shouldn''t have to go over 1.25/1.5 cts)- Unfortunately it''ll take some tweaking as far as settings. And yes- that''s the jeweler- I think I''ve been checking their site twice a day these past few months.

Lauren- Thanks for the words of encouragement! (And count me in as a fan of your asscher ring
30.gif
) The whole thing was that we were considering to getting the ring a few weeks ago, going with the 1.21 & telling our familes up in Chicago, but 1. He decided he didn''t like that it wouldn''t be a surprise at all for me and 2. Our living/ work situation is a bit nutso right now (I moved back to Chicago in Jan. and he was SUPPOSED to follow, but- he might instead take up a couple ther job offers here in Miami (so I might move right back down & we''ll have to start looking at other places to live.... either way- the longer we wait, the more $ we can save, so that''s important too).

That''s funny you mention the ME25 setting- I once dragged my friend all the way up to Highland Park,IL, sitting in 2 1/2 hrs of Chicago traffic- just to see a jeweler that sells Danhov settings, b/c I really, really loved the way the ME25 looked on the James Allen site. They didn''t have it in person- but I saw that another poster here got it for his fiance (with a 1.2 something asscher) a few weeks later. Lol. I do love how dainty and well- crafted it is, but the one thing that I personally didn''t like was how the bands & pave had this slight, slight curvature outwards, since they go all the way up to form the prongs (lol, I hope that makes sense!). Then, with it being 2K plus- ehhh- I figured that it might be better to just worry about the center stone/ save a little by going with one of those 1K settings. But then again.... (oh dear- here I go thinking about that again
28.gif
).

You''re right though- we do have time (though he has sworn to me that we''ll be engaged by the time I move back to FL (if that''s what happens)) I''m just hoping life, and all the other stuff we have going on doesn''t get in the way of it. (We''re 26, been together 5 1/2 yrs, known each other since high school (Chicago area)). I have a good feeling about things, though. And I''m so glad I can come here and chat with you guys regarding all this e-ring stuff!
2.gif

Chi-amiGal

Rough_Rock
Oh- and to Litebrite- one more thing- I''m not particularly picky about white gold vs. platinum- I''ve seen em both on all my engaged gal friends and they''re all lovely- Even palladium was suggested by one jeweler. Do you have a preference/ suggestion regarding this? I''d love to hear it!
emwink.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go as big as you possibly can, simply because the bigger the Asscher (diameter though, not necessarily ct. weight), the more you can appreciate the lovely cut.
28.gif

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
My e-ring is in plat and I have other rings in WG. If you look through the search results on palladium, people have had mixed results and one jeweler says he no longer wants to work with palladium because he finds it too brittle.

Here is a thread in which John Pollard discusses different palladium mixes: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/palladium-or-platinum-for-a-three-stone-ring.57430/

It might be a moot consideration though because not all jewelers work in palladium, and especially since you are looking for split shank settings, that might be a small universe.

I like platinum best but I have had no problems with my WG rings.

And welcome to PS, I lurked for a long time before uncloaking too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results