shape
carat
color
clarity

An update on my eBay purchase! (OEC -- first diamond ever!)

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
An update on this thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-think-of-my-ebay-purchase.170212/

Just received Neil's report and firstly, let me say how impressed I've been with his service. Great communication and so fast! I'm not in the US, so having someone who could act as my eyes was really helpful and reassuring, especially as this was my first-ever diamond purchase and there was the added risk of it being an eBay purchase. Neil will be my chosen appraiser for all of my future diamond purchases (as soon as I can afford them!). :))

The diamond was sold with a GAL report, which I think we all expected to be a little loose, which it was, to be fair. The major difference is color -- GAL had it at J/K and Neil put it at M. Obviously I would have loved it to be a J or K, but this wasn't completely unexpected and I know M is more realistic for OECs and I'm happy with some warmth, especially in an OEC.

The best news (for me!) is that it is indeed a VS1. I was really wary about the clarity and kept going back to the eBay pictures to worry about the little dark flecks I thought I could see in the pictures. Fortunately, there aren't any in the stone in real life!

1.21MVS1.jpg

Carat Weight: 1.21 Cts.
Clarity: VS1
Color: M
Dimensions: 6.68 x 6.76 x 4.30mm.
Table: 58
Depth: 64.0
Crown: 38.3
Pavilion: 42.0
Culet: Medium
Fluorescence: faint Blue
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Girdle: thin - Sl thick
Painting: none
Strain: none
Overall Cut Grade: Very Good
Reference Report: none
Gemprint ID: none

Retail replacement value: $3800, so I feel good about what I spent overall.

Now it's time to have it set!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: An update on my eBay purchase! (OEC -- first diamond ev

Oh that is beautiful!!!!! :love: I worked with Neil in the past and he is great! Congrats!!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous stone!!

elliemay

Shiny_Rock

Thanks, ladies! I'm so excited! :D :D :D

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Beautiful stone! Congratulations!

stci

Ideal_Rock

Wahoooooooo! Gorgeous!!!! :love: :love:

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Very pretty -- nice size, too! Congratulations.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's a beauty ellie!! :love: :appl:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

That is one gorgeous european cut!!! You did great for a first diamond.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock

It's gorgeous! I think you did great. :appl: How do you plan to set it?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Miss Ellimay you are creating my dream ring! Love the cut, love the size, and that is my favourite setting too, don't you know ;)) I was watching that diamond, glad it is staying in the "family"!

milton333

Brilliant_Rock

elliemay|1326235291|3099844 said:
Thanks so much, everyone! :D

SparklyOEC|1326218676|3099493 said:
It's gorgeous! I think you did great. :appl: How do you plan to set it?

I just put an order in for this:

ring_42.jpg
ring_43.jpg

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2358

:appl: :appl: Ooh, I've got that setting bookmarked as a possibility for a reset for me - please do post hand shots when you get it, very exciting!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful!
Enjoy! =)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

What a beautifully faceted stone. I definitely think you scored!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I think this photo looks a lot better than the ebay auction. It is beautiful - congrats!!

I was just thinking - why not send it into EGL and get an EGL report for it in case you want to resell in the future. It's under $100 and same day service - super easy if you are in NYC or LA.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

CharmyPoo|1326266897|3100185 said:
I think this photo looks a lot better than the ebay auction. It is beautiful - congrats!!

I was just thinking - why not send it into EGL and get an EGL report for it in case you want to resell in the future. It's under $100 and same day service - super easy if you are in NYC or LA.

But Charmy, this is her FOREVER ring m'dear! :tongue:

But if for some strange reason it is not... like she keeps drinking the PS koolaid or spends too much time with the likes of us... then I think Neil's report is likely just as good for most markets.

ETA: OOppss wait, I was confusing Ellie with anothr poster. Ellie never said this was her forever ring :Up_to_something: So yeah, Ellie, maybe get the lab report :rodent: You did say its your first diamond, not your last! 8)

elliemay

Shiny_Rock

Dreamer_D|1326269709|3100191 said:

But Charmy, this is her FOREVER ring m'dear! :tongue:

But if for some strange reason it is not... like she keeps drinking the PS koolaid or spends too much time with the likes of us... then I think Neil's report is likely just as good for most markets.

ETA: OOppss wait, I was confusing Ellie with anothr poster. Ellie never said this was her forever ring :Up_to_something: So yeah, Ellie, maybe get the lab report :rodent: You did say its your first diamond, not your last! 8)

I think this will be my forever ring (or at least ONE of my forever rings! :lol: ). The setting will take a couple of weeks, so I think I may just send the stone on to EGL USA first. Since it's such a quick turnaround it would be simple (especially as there's an NYC office and Leigh Jay Nacht is in NYC, too) and I would like to get a laser inscription of some sort on the stone anyway!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock

OOh, tell me where you are from? You are very gutsy buying a diamond on eBay and then having them forward on to an appraiser...
*snaps to you*
Did you generate any threads on PS throughout your journey?
Perhaps I should get all cyber-stalky and 'search you'! ;-)

ETA: oops, there on the first post, your earlier thread. I'm a dork, forgive me!

Sweettarts

Rough_Rock

It's so gorgeous. And it will be even more so in the setting your placing it in.

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock

Dreamer_D|1326269709|3100191 said:
... like she keeps drinking the PS koolaid or spends too much time with the likes of us...

That PS kool-aid ain't nothing nice!! :sick:

Elliemay, you have found a beautiful diamond!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It is fantastic and that setting is tag! Awesome find!

elliemay

Shiny_Rock

I'm so pleased that y'all like it! Makes me feel like I did a good job! :praise:

I spoke to Neil last night (for over an hour -- feel like I made a new friend! :)) ) and he'll be sending the stone to Leigh Jay Nacht for setting. They want to have the stone in-hand before starting the semi-mount as it's just a hair below the max stone size for the ring, so they want to make doubly sure it'll fit. IT HAD BETTER! I've set my heart on that setting, so I really need it to work out! I've looked around for something similar, just in case, but haven't had any luck.

Once they have the stone, they're going to take it across the street to EGL to have it inscribed -- only $20! I'm not bothered about an EGL report as it'd probably come back as G VVS1 or some such nonsense! :rolleyes: I just really want to get an identifying mark on the stone.

This entire experience has been great. I've found an eBay seller I would trust for future diamond purchases, have nothing but fantastic things to say about Neil, and have been impressed with how quickly Winona at LJN has replied to each of my queries.

elliemay

Shiny_Rock

I think this photo looks a lot better than the ebay auction.

I know, right?! :shock: Hopefully no one will show the seller how to take pics of diamonds any time soon! :devil:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Fantastic stone..! I was cleaning out my watch list the other day and came across that auction.. I remember watching that stone for a while and then it was sold! It looks WAY better than their pic, hehe.

I love your setting choice too. And I think that if you do ever resell, Neil's appraisal is a great tool to help you. Enjoy!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results