shape
carat
color
clarity

Ahhhhh! I can't decide. Carre or French cuts

moaks

Rough_Rock
I'm in the beginning stages of trying to figure out what I want to reset my diamond in. DH and I have narrowed it down to a similar style. Now I have to decide if I want Carre cuts, or French cuts. I've been looking at pictures upon pictures of settings with both on this site and I'm still no closer than I was before. I want a ring that will have more of a timeless look to it. However I really like both cuts and can't for the life of me decide which would go better with my 1.20ct RB.

I think the straight style will go better with a smaller round and not overshadow it.

This is very similar to the original ring that I fell in love with that my hubby wanted to have made for me.

My current setting with princess cuts and my wedding band. Sorry its so dirty. My setting is very similar but its got a little too much going on for me.

I need all the advice I can get.

Leon French.png

Leon Stepcut.png

IMG_1804.JPG

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I like french cuts better, but they are pricey and I'm not sure that all vendors can get them. (?) I recently saw a post from a trades person seeking tapered french cuts because he was unable to locate them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you want more of and antique look with milgrain, then go with the french cuts. If you want a more contemporary look, go with the carre cuts and no milgrain. Both are gorgeous, but I almost prefer the carre with modern round brilliants and the french cuts for antique style stones.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely go with straight shank - as you observe you aren't going to be able to get much of a taper with a 1.2ct RB, the stone isn't big enough and the outline is too curved for those large swoopy tapers. The straight shank is a very elegant look :sun: I think either french or carre cuts would be beautiful! I'm with DS in preferring carre with RB and no milgrain for a modern look.

Will Leon make the ring? You could just ask him for his thoughts - I'd trust his eyes ::)

moaks

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1339722179|3216534 said:
I like french cuts better, but they are pricey and I'm not sure that all vendors can get them. (?) I recently saw a post from a trades person seeking tapered french cuts because he was unable to locate them.

The cost is another factor in my decision, I've contacted LM for a quote on the ring with the french cuts and am waiting for a reply. I've found another vendor through PS that can make the carre/step cut ring for a reasonable price. Problem I have is that I've never seen french cuts in person and every brick and mortar store I go into either has never heard of them, or they are really expensive to get, and wont order them in unless I'm certain I want them. :(( .

moaks

Rough_Rock
I think I'm leaning more toward a straight shank, I found another setting that has princess cuts but I think could be modified to fit carre cuts and a round fine. I wonder though if the head of the ring might be too much though. What do you all think? (wish I could make up my mind) :roll:

anotheroption2.jpg

anotheroption.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually that's a great idea - princesses could look very nice flanking an RB, and they're much easier to acquire than frenchies or carre cuts.!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Carre for contrast 1000%. Straight carre cuts. I'd go with Steven Kirsch for this btw.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the budget is limited, I like the princess cuts because they give a similar visual impression. Sure, they aren't the carre or the french cuts, but they look like they could be... and they could be a cost effective way of achieving the same look.

I really like your last post (as a more affordable option) but of the 2 original posts, I prefer the straight shank for the clean lines.

Enjoy the process!

E B

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1339723044|3216557 said:
Both are gorgeous, but I almost prefer the carre with modern round brilliants and the french cuts for antique style stones.

Agreed (but you really can't go wrong).

moaks

Rough_Rock
Yssie-I was looking more at the style of setting. I'm not as huge of princess cuts, plus it's what I already have, and I kind of want my new ring to look a little different. It did cross my mind though.
Gypsy-I hadn't really looked into Steven Kirsch much, from what I gathered his work was around the same prices as Leon.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's your budget for this?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
A more narrow version of the 2nd Leon you posted in the original post would look amazing.

moaks

Rough_Rock
Gypsy-My budget is a little sad, trying to stay around $2500 range. However I've been saving up my "allowance" so I can go up to $3000 if I find a design that I REALLY like, but I'm still trying to stay within the original budget.

Shimmer- That Vatche setting is pretty I hadn't seen that one before.

Ame-by more narrow do you mean with out the tapered look? Or just a more subtle taper?

Thank you everyone for your feedback, I'm starting to lean more towards one style that the other, but I'm not 100% sure yet :)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
moaks|1339770417|3216903 said:
Gypsy-My budget is a little sad, trying to stay around $2500 range. However I've been saving up my "allowance" so I can go up to $3000 if I find a design that I REALLY like, but I'm still trying to stay within the original budget.

Ame-by more narrow do you mean with out the tapered look? Or just a more subtle taper?

Thank you everyone for your feedback, I'm starting to lean more towards one style that the other, but I'm not 100% sure yet :)
A more subtle taper, or just a smaller "widest point" if that makes sense!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
moaks|1339770417|3216903 said:

In that case I'd suggest going with princesses and putting the majority of the budget into a using a top quality casting house. A well-cast, delicate, clean-lined ring with princesses will be much prettier than a bulkier, less precisely formed and finished setting with french or carre cuts.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Call WF and GOG and get quotes for the Vatche Caroline with side "baguettes" linked above. Make sure you specify that it's the baguette one, there's plain and pave versions of the Caroline, too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your current ring already has princess cuts, I really recommend waiting to reset until you can get exactly what you want. Trying to get something within that budget is not going to get you the carre or french cuts in the quality ring you want.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1339793513|3217198 said:
Since your current ring already has princess cuts, I really recommend waiting to reset until you can get exactly what you want. Trying to get something within that budget is not going to get you the carre or french cuts in the quality ring you want.

I agree. Can you save up for a few months? If you can get to 4k I think you can get what you want with Straight Carre cuts. You can even use your budget NOW to buy a suite of Carre Cuts from Steven, for example (I know he can get them, that's why I mention him), and then save up for the rest of the setting. So if diamond prices go up, you are protected.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, to what Gypsy said. French cuts would have run you even higher. Just FYI, I asked the price of this amazing wedding band with half french cuts made by Victor, and the price was somewhere around $4800. But I still like the carre cuts better for your diamond anyway.

moaks

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1339793513|3217198 said:

You and gypsy are right I should probably wait and increase my budget. Problem is convincing DH that it's worth the value. He looks at it as "I already bought you a ring" problem is that he originally wanted to have a ring made just like what I'm looking for now and the jeweler talked him into buying a stock item that looked kind of similar.

Off to see if I can convince him some more. :rolleyes:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW Circe! It's perfect. Great find. The head won't fit her stone. BUT-- it might be worth it to see if there is a way to adjust it for her stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results