shape
carat
color
clarity

Age and setting choice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tdha

Rough_Rock
Maybe this is a silly question. Do you think age matters when you are choosing a setting? I love solitaires but for some reason I have this image in my mind of it being a young thing. I am almost forty and am getting my forever ring. We just bought a 2.4 or just under round brilliant ideal cut. I was thinking tiffany replica with 2mm or 2.5 mm channel round eternity band. But in my usual obsessive pattern I am changing my mind over and over!! Help. Am I too old for this setting? I am tall and have long fingers, 6.5 size... if that matters.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think so. That is an elegant classic look for any age. You should get what you REALLY want, otherwise you''ll be wishing you did and thinking of resetting.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree...you have to get what you really want. I personally dont see age playing into it too much. I think its more the "style"
than anything. If you like something, get it especially if this is your forever ring. Make sure it fits your personality and that
its something you think you will love 10, 20, or 30+ years down the road.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I wish I could help you, but I am the wrong PSer! I am working on my 5th reset
20.gif

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/25/2008 6:33:58 PM
Author:tdha
Maybe this is a silly question. Do you think age matters when you are choosing a setting? I love solitaires but for some reason I have this image in my mind of it being a young thing. I am almost forty and am getting my forever ring. We just bought a 2.4 or just under round brilliant ideal cut. I was thinking tiffany replica with 2mm or 2.5 mm channel round eternity band. But in my usual obsessive pattern I am changing my mind over and over!! Help. Am I too old for this setting? I am tall and have long fingers, 6.5 size... if that matters.
I don''t think there is an age limit to engagement ring styles. SOme people get engaged when they are 19 and wear the same ring forever. In the end, I think you sould get what you like and forget any "rules". It''s on your finger! THat being said, I think solitaires are great becasuse through the years you can stack it with thick bands, thin bands, eternity rings, plain rings! The possibilities are endless!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I think of solitaires as being an ''any age'' setting. My 80 year old mom is still wearing her original solitaire diamond ring, I am sitting here wearing my solitaire, along with a ruby stacker (it''s Christmas, after all
2.gif
). And, they are still popular with new brides. My sister, who married four years ago, selected a cathedral princess solitaire.

A classic tiffany solitaire is as ageless a setting as there is.

Go for it, and enjoy!
35.gif

tdha

Rough_Rock
I think my problem is since coming to this site I have seen SOOOO many beautiful options my head is spinning. We have been married almost ten years and I have always worn one eternity band as my wedding and engagement ring. I just assumed I would want what I wanted back then. Now, geez.. I just dunno.

So, aside from what I want. Out of curiosity what types of styles do you think suits different personalities?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you feel NOW when you try on a solitaire with your WB? - if you feel awesome then go for it - there''s definitely no age limit.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that you have to go with what you love. To me personally a solitaire suits any age group and it''s classic and elegant. But you ultimately have to go with what you love the most.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a 6 prong classic setting like Tiff & Co. will be in style forever. color of metal...when i see a YG E-ring posted i would guess she's in her 40's.
2.gif

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
For your personality question- Tacori''s website has a little quiz thing you can try out. I don''t think it actually is very accurate, but just for fun. =)

I think a solitaire is perfect no matter the age, as with other settings too!

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
My 85 yo aunt wears a 2ct pear solitaire. She has always worn solitaires and so has her 45 yo daughter. Me, I like more ornate settings... It''s not about age, it''s about personal preference.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s all personal preference. I don''t think a classic solitaire is suited to any age group; they look great on everyone.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I think a solitaire looks great ANY age. I am a little younger (27), but I plan on wearing mine forever. To me, solitaires are timeless and that''s why I wanted one!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do think that some styles scream young or older (i.e., it''s sometimes easy to tell if a woman got married super young or much older if she had a say in her ring) , but a classic solitaire isn''t one of them.

mommy2iz

Brilliant_Rock
wow, i can sympathize with you. this site can be overwhelming (in a good way!) when searching for inspiration for your forever ring. take your time. gradually, the not-so-fantastic whims go by the way-side, and you''ll find yourself continually being drawn to the same style over and over again. don''t forget to try things on, too! i swore i wanted an emerald cut until i put it on my finger. i adore them! but unfortunately, the finger god''s do not smile upon me.
in terms of age as it may relate to style, when i was in my 20''s and still finding "my" style, my ring was what i now think of as tacky. being confident and secure, gaining wisdom thru struggles...that''s brought me to myself, my style, and my ring.
best wishes!!!!!! you can''t go wrong with a solitaire!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me a soitare is classic and elegant. Never goes out of style. Have fun and try all sorts of settings on. You''ll know the one, it hits you and feels right. Happy hunting!!!
1.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2008 7:57:55 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
a 6 prong classic setting like Tiff & Co. will be in style forever. color of metal...when i see a YG E-ring posted i would guess she''s in her 40''s.
2.gif

I''m surprised you see a solitaire style as a ''younger girl'' style. If anything, I would have said that a solitaire was a more ''grown-up'' style as it a little less blingy and attention-attracting than some of the other styles around...

Just get what you want, everyone will have an opinion that''s related to their own preferences and experiences. I''m a staunch YG girl, and I''m not in my 40s. But I completely ''get'' what DF is saying. I''m not going over to WG just because YG has fallen from favour for my demographic!

2.gif

tdha

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I knew I could count on you to put it in perspective. I love this site, where else can I obsess about beautiful diamonds and settings with others who get it!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Solitaires are ageless, timeless, and totally classy. Go for what you love!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2008 7:57:55 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
a 6 prong classic setting like Tiff & Co. will be in style forever. color of metal...when i see a YG E-ring posted i would guess she''s in her 40''s.
2.gif
23.gif
39.gif
I feel 100yrs old now! Thanks DF
2.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Solitares will always be popular. That said, I think your choice of setting depends on your personal style. Do you like elaborate designs? be it clothing, or furniture? Minimilstic pieces where you think less is more? Things of that sort should play a role in your setting.
At least that''s my 2 cents for what it''s worth
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto to classic and elegant (although I may be biased if you look at my avatar!). I started out 30+ years ago with a solitaire and diamond band and on our 30th anniversary, my husband gave me a larger diamond set in platinum, and I still went with a solitaire and diamond band! I think that trendy setttings are more likely to become victims of changing taste, but solitaires never go out of style. Also, I think a simiple setting allows the diamond to be the star of the show!!!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I see sawed back and forth for over 10 years - never really serious - but looking all the time.
I am older than you (over the hill!!) and just got my upgrade in early December. Just like you,
PS played a part in me being so wishy washy! There are so many gorgeous examples of perfection
being posted all the time. AND I almost went with a solitaire with side stones and then I just knew
I''d had to have a honking eternity band under that. Hubby finally said we are are going to NYC and I insist
you put this to bed!! Now that''s it all over, I''m thinking about the next move.
A solitaire is classic and elegant.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I can''t wait to see your forever ring! You have quite a rock! I have to say, I think solitaires are timeless and "forever." Glitzy blingy settings seem more popular among the younger crowd (halos, micropave & engraving). I look at my ring as a "young" ring. Maybe down the road, I''ll go more simple with substantial side stones. But the solitaire look is so elegant! It''s timeless!

carabella

Shiny_Rock
The setting you want sounds classic and "ageless" to me...but there are so many options...if that setting sounds appealing to you and it keeps coming up in your top three (OK, maybe top 10) while others come and go....you should just go for it!! Can''t wait to see what you end up with...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The nice thing about a solitaire is that you can mix and match it with all different bands depending on your mood!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2008 6:33:58 PM
Author:tdha
Definitely not a silly question, however I would never equate age with style of setting. I always thought it was one''s personal preference. I can see a 20 year old wearing a halo style ring, as well as a more mature lady, who may be in her 50''s. The same goes for a simple solitaire..age makes no differnce, if it''s a beautiful ring, it will look great on any hand (young or old).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results