shape
carat
color
clarity

Age and setting choice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2008 7:57:55 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
a 6 prong classic setting like Tiff & Co. will be in style forever. color of metal...when i see a YG E-ring posted i would guess she''s in her 40''s.
2.gif
REALLY? I''m 39, and I wear white gold, always will..even when I''m 80!!
When I see yellow gold..I just assume it compliments one''s skin tone better (warm skin tones)..and that she just prefers yellow gold.
What do you think of when you see pearls DF? Just curious. I find that there are many who associate "pearls" and big "cocktail rings" as something more mature women would wear.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Solitaires are very classic, not a young style at all. Both my mother, 60ish (
2.gif
), and my grandmother, in her 80s, wear solitaires.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2008 10:06:33 PM
Author: beau13
Date: 12/25/2008 7:57:55 PM

Author: Dancing Fire

a 6 prong classic setting like Tiff & Co. will be in style forever. color of metal...when i see a YG E-ring posted i would guess she''s in her 40''s.
2.gif

REALLY? I''m 39, and I wear white gold, always will..even when I''m 80!!

When I see yellow gold..I just assume it compliments one''s skin tone better (warm skin tones)..and that she just prefers yellow gold.

What do you think of when you see pearls DF? Just curious. I find that there are many who associate ''pearls'' and big ''cocktail rings'' as something more mature women would wear.

DF is just pointing out that fashions do come and go in jewellery, as in other apparel...I''m a staunch YG girl in my mid-30s, and I agree with his thesis that WG is GENERALLY seen as a more fashion-forward choice.
Threfore, WG is generally associated with a younger crowd, and YG with an older crowd.

At the end of the day though, it''s about how you rock it, is it not?
Same with pearls and cocktail rings.

What looks hip and ironic on a younger person often gets its hip credentials from the apparently cool reference to an earlier time of fashion for those items. The older lady might be assumed to not be so much in the know (depending on the rest of her appearance), because she might be just wearing ''the original'' from ''the first time round''.

Fashion reflects society, so it can be really ageist! I look forward to the baby boomers changing that perspective.
1.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
To the OP: I definitely don''t think you are "too old" to rock a solitaire. I have seen gorgeous solitaires on ladies ages 20-90+. It is a classic look for all ages.

FWIW, I am in my mid-20s, and I have an emerald cut center stone. I adore ECs, and FI knew that when he started searching for my ring. When FI was shopping, he was steered away from ECs by a number of sales associates because they''re "old lady diamonds." I''ve had comments to the same effect, but I''ve also been told that ECs are "too trendy." Moral of the story: style and fashion are always in the eye of the beholder. What may look "old" to one person may be "fashion-forward" to another. Therefore, just pick whatever appeals to you! Your stone is going to look gorgeous no matter what the setting, so I don''t think you can go wrong.

P.S. I also love to wear pearls, yellow gold, and cocktail rings. Am I having an age identity crisis
3.gif
?

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Go with the solitaire if you love it - they are timeless and never go out of style.

Jenna51580gr

Shiny_Rock
There is no age limit on solatire setting ever. It is simply a classic and everyone can wear it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results