shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on selling some jewelry? Anybody use David Atlas?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
So I am going to be purchasing an antique cushion and having it set over the next couple months for a 10 year anniversary coming up. In order to up my budget, I have decided I am going to sell my platinum three stone ring (~1ctw) and possibly a pendant (~.5ct). I have the appraisal from the jeweler I purchased the ring from for insurance purposes and it gives some stats on the stones (limited info - color/clarity, ideal cut, ctw) however they are uncerted stones so the info on the appraisal is limited. I'm wondering if it would be in my best interest to send to David Atlas for an appraisal or to even have him potentially buy it if he is interested. Has anyone used him for a similar purpose? Do you think it would be worth the extra money to do this or should I just try listing on LT or DB? I just want to be sure I am asking an appropriate price when I sell. Advice? Thoughts?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Advice on selling some jewelry? Anybody use David Atlas

I did use David Atlas once - I requested his Qualitative Pre-Sale Report - at that time I believe I had only seen those reports in conjunction with estate pieces for sale on the Jewels by Erica Grace website, like this one: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...-Mine/25686904_KVNJHs#!i=2122439587&k=N9zzp24.

I was in the similar predicament of having an uncerted apx 0.80ct old-cut diamond in platinum ring setting I wanted to sell - this was more than a year ago but at that time I seem to recall the Qualitative Pre-Sale Report was apx $100 (including return shipping to me) and comprised of a digital report (jpeg or pdf format) - it was a very fast turn-around (I overnighted the ring to him, and he overnighted back to me, so maybe 2-3 days total) - the digital report of course arrived before the returned ring - and with this report I was able to find some comparables and to calculate a fair price.

An appraisal is a more expensive service Mr. Atlas provides, and it may well be worth it depending on your items - in my case, I simply wanted a highly regarded professional's objective opinion of the quality of the old-cut ring, both so I could fairly price it and so potential buyers could have faith in the description and photos of the ring for sale.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock

marymm|1380312386|3528517 said:
I did use David Atlas once - I requested his Qualitative Pre-Sale Report - at that time I believe I had only seen those reports in conjunction with estate pieces for sale on the Jewels by Erica Grace website, like this one: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...-Mine/25686904_KVNJHs#!i=2122439587&k=N9zzp24.

I was in the similar predicament of having an uncerted apx 0.80ct old-cut diamond in platinum ring setting I wanted to sell - this was more than a year ago but at that time I seem to recall the Qualitative Pre-Sale Report was apx $100 (including return shipping to me) and comprised of a digital report (jpeg or pdf format) - it was a very fast turn-around (I overnighted the ring to him, and he overnighted back to me, so maybe 2-3 days total) - the digital report of course arrived before the returned ring - and with this report I was able to find some comparables and to calculate a fair price.

An appraisal is a more expensive service Mr. Atlas provides, and it may well be worth it depending on your items - in my case, I simply wanted a highly regarded professional's objective opinion of the quality of the old-cut ring, both so I could fairly price it and so potential buyers could have faith in the description and photos of the ring for sale.

Marymm, yes that pre-sale is exactly what I am looking for here. I think I use the word "appraisal" because that's the only description I know of, so thank you for clearing that up. I 100% agree that it would give a potential buyer much more confidence if I had that report. I think it might be worth it at around $100. Do you know the accurate website for David? When I googled him, a couple came up and I want to be sure that I get the right contact info?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is his website - http://datlas.com/ - I just emailed him directly, briefly described my item and situation, and asked for that Report by name - he is very good in terms of communication/customer service - I recommend him highly!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results