shape
carat
color
clarity

5 or 7 stone wedding band suggestions and guidance?

sherpagirl

Rough_Rock
Hello! I had posted about a month ago my situation of foregoing the engagement stone, and buying the wedding band as both the engagement ring and band. Here is the original post: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-bit-of-a-non-traditional-approach-to-e-ring-wedding-ring.165252/#post-3010566#p3010566']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-bit-of-a-non-traditional-approach-to-e-ring-wedding-ring.165252/#post-3010566#p3010566[/URL]

I had the opportunity over the weekend to go into several stores to try different types of wedding bands, and also try 1.2 to 1.5 carat Round solitaires, to see what combination I would ultimately love to end up with, once my SO can save enough to buy the solitaire. After much reading and research (thanks to PS!) I am pretty sure I would love to end up with a RB solitaire in a simple setting (similar to the Tiffany or one of the BGD or Mark Morrell or even WF Tiffany replica settings) --- and size of about 1.2-1.5 carats. And so I'm looking right now, at a band that hopefully would complement the solitaire.

That said, I would like to have a bit of a substantial wedding band since the solitaire may not come for another 3-5 years. I tried on a 7-stone band at Tiffany's and it was just under 1 tcw. It was lovely. I have also been coveting the GOG AVR 5-stone band. I guess my question is - what would be the best approach in picking out the band (that will also now serve as an engagement "ring"?) Since I think I would like the (future) center stone to be either a H&A (basically, not really an old-cut/AVR) --- what band/number of stones/type of stones (non-AVR's?) should I be considering? Also, I was reading that it was better to have the smaller stones "separated" by a bar... less damage? And what about the actual setting itself? Should it be a lower setting, or? And last but not least, any opinions on a 5 vs. a 7 stone? Which would look more substantial? I tried on a 1.23 round solitaire with the .91 tcw 7-stone band at Tiffany ... and that was a nice combination. And wearing the band itself looked ok. I'm thinking no more than 1.1 tcw for the band?

Sorry if my post is so confusing...a s you see, I'm a bit directionless in where to go. Also, any favorite vendors and best way to go about creating the 5 or 7 stone wedding band? I love a classic and elegant look.

Thanks so much!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since you do not know when you will have a solitaire -- or if you will even want one in 5 years (trust me tastes can change :)) Lifestyles change. Finances change,) -- then I personally would get a band you adore as a stand alone and not be constrained by the future at all!

What is your budget?

Me, I would get the biggest 5 stone you can afford. Five .30 stones lookes AMAZING when worn, totally blingtastic and you will not feel you "missed out" on anything not having a solitaire. Then, when/if you get a solitaire you can switch the 5 stone to a right hand ring and get a new band to go with your solitaire.

I say this because I think the best match for your possible future solitaiter would be a band of 5 point stones, it is what I wore it is was *perfection*. But it is not much bling on its own and a fear it will make you sad not to have something more amazing to wear.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah, I agree with Dreamer. If you want something to go with your solitaire I would look for a band that is 2-2.5 mm (which is lovely but not the same impact as a five stone with 0.30 ct diamonds). So...decide if you want something to go with your set or a more standalone band.

sherpagirl

Rough_Rock
Oh, the photos in the links are so lovely!

I would say the max budget is probably $5,000. Is that a do-able budget for 5-stones , and quality stones/setting? And both of you are right - I should look at this investment in terms of it being a standalone piece right now. How wide are bands that would typically hold a five stone (say with approx. .25-.30 ct diamonds)?

In terms of quality of a five-stone --- would WF be a good starting point? I am really all about quality of both stone and setting. I am enjoying seeing the 5-bands that have a bar between the stones. Or, for quality, should I look more towards working with a vendor like GOG and/or BGD on the diamonds and then setting? I have heard mixed things about bands --- that it may not "matter" so much in selection of diamonds as it would be when finding a solitaire or center stone ...

Thanks so much!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my 5 stone and wear it alone alot, mine are only .15 each and it is I think 3.4 or 3.6 mm wide at the top (dont remember exactly), the shank is only 2.6 and like everyone said in the future you might like to wear just the 5 stone all the time :wink2: I personally do wear it with my E-ring, but not too much since it is starting to damage/ding my prongs.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go with BGD or WF if you want RBs, GOG if you want AVRs.

I think your budget is just right for this project!

A .30ct diamond is about 4.3mm, so that is how wide the band would be on top, the shanks seem to be between 2.5 and 3mm.

For stones that size I want diamonds with lab reports and ideal cyts. Others are happy without. If you opt for that route the vendors mentioned can get you melee stones with ideal proportions, or you can try ID Jewelry too, though from pictures, their settings are not as nice as the other vendors I mentioned.

sherpagirl

Rough_Rock
My finger size is 5 or 5 and a quarter ... would a 1.5 tcw 5 stone look out of proportion? Also, has anyone seen both 5 stone RB's and 5 stone AVR or vintage cuts? I'm wondering if there is as "visible" a difference here, than vs. a center stone. Also, is there anything to keep in mind for 5-stones when selecting a setting? There are so many setting choices! (Esp on Whiteflash and BGD!)

Thanks so much!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look through the thread I posted and search other 5-stone threads for rings on fingers the size yours are. I think 1.5cttw or even a little bigger would be great.

If you go with a reputable vendor then you only really need to choose the style setting you like. Again, you can search for the setting styles you like to see images.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results