shape
carat
color
clarity

4ct + cushion, thoughts?

jgny

Shiny_Rock
I got in touch with Jon recently about cutting an AVC, but it is way out of my budget. He found me a very interesting 4.33 ct cushion, link to this video compares it to the AVC he has in stock. Thoughts? I am going to try and see the stone in person. It is an H VS2.

http://www.vimeo.com/12096941

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful but he should not have put it next to an AVC.

I know nothing about cushions technically but to me the AVC wins hands down.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I love that H! It has so much personality and the facet sizes (for me) are perfect. I want one like that (well, one that I can afford). For some reason though, I felt like that H looked even better in the other video. (There were two videos of that H, right?)

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that N color AVC. The color is dreamy in my opinion.

The H is pretty good, I suppose it depends what you are looking for.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer the H over the AVC''s.

Personally, I don''t like the AVC''s. There''s no doubt that they''re great performers. I just find them a little stale, emotionless, I guess.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/28/2010 2:20:40 PM
Author: iota15
I love that H! It has so much personality and the facet sizes (for me) are perfect. I want one like that (well, one that I can afford). For some reason though, I felt like that H looked even better in the other video. (There were two videos of that H, right?)
Correct. It may have looked better in the other video because of the diamond I was comparing it to which is what we commonly see in cushions. The infamous "watery crushed ice" appearance. Truth is in this video they are both beautiful diamonds (and think I state so in the clip). I wish I were able to find more generic chunkies with the specific visuals of this one. They may be out there but it can take quite a few call ins before one like that is found. This one turned out to be one of those needles. Glad you liked and learned from it iota.

Kind regards,

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I really think they are both beautiful, especially if you weren''t comparing them. I know that sounds stupid, but they have different characters.

(Just watching your vids Rhino, make me fall more and more in love with the antique chunkies, whether they are the AV cushions, needle in the haystack cushions, or the AV rounds.)

As far a choosing one or the other, because I find them both exquisite, I would decide between the 2 based on color.

Dumb question: Rhino, do you think you''d ever produce an AVC in a fancy color?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love AVCs also but I have to say that H is very impressive. More facets but still enough chuncky facets to make me happy. I
could be more than happy with that H (especially in that size)!!! How do you feel about the look? What if you were not comparing
it to an AVC? Would you like the look of the facet pattern? Maybe you should get Jon to make a video of it by itself and just try
to admire it on its own merits. How would you feel about having that stone on your finger?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/28/2010 6:12:03 PM
Author: missydebby
I really think they are both beautiful, especially if you weren''t comparing them. I know that sounds stupid, but they have different characters.
Totally. Different diamonds appeal to different chemistry in people. Not too long ago I shot a 3ct G VS2 we had acquired with optics along the lines of this 4 1/3ct and even though the client wasn''t quite ready to pull the trigger I wound up purchasing it for stock anyway.
3.gif
I had the pleasure of being able to show jgny this diamond live today and we had a blast. I think she liked its optics too as we compared in different lighting and saw this comparison from this video live.

(Just watching your vids Rhino, make me fall more and more in love with the antique chunkies, whether they are the AV cushions, needle in the haystack cushions, or the AV rounds.)
Awesome.
37.gif
It gives me an inner satisfaction when I have contribued in some way to a persons life and education. In the world of diamonds ... the more you look at them ... the more you handle them ... the more you observe ... is the more you learn and appreciate. It''s like anything else in life really. I too appreciate the vintage goodies. Not just the ones I''m cutting but equally the real antiques.

As far a choosing one or the other, because I find them both exquisite, I would decide between the 2 based on color.
Sure. When you have no preferrence in visuals of one over the other your preference of color is a sound logical reason to do that and I''d suggest the same.

Dumb question: Rhino, do you think you''d ever produce an AVC in a fancy color?
I have.
9.gif
it was a 3.40ct Fancy Intense AVC. I sold it before it ever arrived from the lab. In fact I did a shoot with it before we sent it ... showed it to the client and that was that. It was spectacular. What I love about the warmer colors is how they lend themselves to the pastels that pop off the broad reflections. I will cut more though.

Kind regards,

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Jon! Could you show us that video? It sounds divine!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/29/2010 12:08:15 PM
Author: CharmyPoo

Date: 5/28/2010 9:00:18 PM
Author: Rhino
Sure iota. Here''s a direct link to it.

http://www.vimeo.com/6599079
Oh boy .. I remember that one! It was gone mighty fast.
Charmy ... recognize the "O" color H&A round I use in the color comparison I use in that clip?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2010 9:28:11 PM

Charmy ... recognize the ''O'' color H&A round I use in the color comparison I use in that clip?
Is that now the M color AVR?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Charmy ... recognize the ''O'' color H&A round I use in the color comparison I use in that clip?
It was beautiful before and beautiful now.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2010 11:28:50 AM
Author:jgny
I got in touch with Jon recently about cutting an AVC, but it is way out of my budget. He found me a very interesting 4.33 ct cushion, link to this video compares it to the AVC he has in stock. Thoughts? I am going to try and see the stone in person. It is an H VS2.

http://www.vimeo.com/12096941
Wow, they are both beautiful... Im loving the H tho. Showed this video to my mother and she loves the AVC, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the H. I think it has more personality than this particular AVC.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/29/2010 10:22:12 PM
Author: dreamer_d

Yep. The warmer color does the vintage facet design/proportions much nicer IMO though as Charmy says... beautiful both then and now.

Thanks for the input Breann. I value your input as well as your mom''s. If I see demand is high enough I may design a different optical signature that maximizes smaller reflections in a chunky along the lines of that and others I''ve had possession of from time to time in the past. We did in fact cut a prototype of a modified AVC that did this (reduce the size of the reflections under the table) which we have the ability to produce. Perhaps in time.

Kind regards,

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/30/2010 12:31:53 AM

I think that would be great Rhino, I really do like the AVC I''m just no sold on it tho bc I do like the smaller flashes of light return. I know that they have much better light return than ECs but the AVC remind me of ECs bc of the big flashes of light.
My ering is EC and I want something different so I think that''s why Im not totally in love with the AVCs.

Yep. The warmer color does the vintage facet design/proportions much nicer IMO though as Charmy says... beautiful both then and now.

Thanks for the input Breann. I value your input as well as your mom''s. If I see demand is high enough I may design a different optical signature that maximizes smaller reflections in a chunky along the lines of that and others I''ve had possession of from time to time in the past. We did in fact cut a prototype of a modified AVC that did this (reduce the size of the reflections under the table) which we have the ability to produce. Perhaps in time.

Kind regards,

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Well that didn''t work... Anyway, what I meant:

I think tht would be great Rhino, I really do like the AVC I''m just no sold on it tho bc I do like the smaller flashes of light return. I know that they have much better light return than ECs but the AVC remind me of ECs bc of the big flashes of light. My ering is EC and I want something different so I think that''s why Im not totally in love with the AVCs.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/30/2010 12:53:44 AM
Author: Mrs W
Well that didn''t work... Anyway, what I meant:

I think tht would be great Rhino, I really do like the AVC I''m just no sold on it tho bc I do like the smaller flashes of light return. I know that they have much better light return than ECs but the AVC remind me of ECs bc of the big flashes of light. My ering is EC and I want something different so I think that''s why Im not totally in love with the AVCs.
Interesting. I''m a bit perplexed by your statement because an AVC is absolutely nothing like an EC.
33.gif
EC''s have long thin reflections generally with a distinct step pattern. I''ve never thought of AVC''s as resembling this.

If we are ever serving you and you wanted to see this kind of comparison I''d be happy to shoot it for you but noone has ever mistaken an AVC for an emerald cut and I believe if you were able to draw this comparison for yourself you''d agree. AVC and EC are entirely different beasts. Thanks for your input though. I sincerely appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Lol I should have stated more correctly, I know they look nothing alike and the cuts are not even similar the AVCs and ECs but just the broad big flashes and large facets remind me of a ECs or more "characteristics" of ECs. ReAlly tho, I know it''s strange but that''s what the AVCs remind me of.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Lol I should have stated more correctly, I know they look nothing alike and the cuts are not even similar the AVCs and ECs but just the broad big flashes and large facets remind me of a ECs or more "characteristics" of ECs. ReAlly tho, I know it''s strange but that''s what the AVCs remind me of.

But yes a video would be great so maybe I can get over that issue :)

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I get ya.
9.gif

When a person is buying new or trading/switching to a different shape from what they have (as would be your case perhaps) it is important for me to identify what it is their eyes enjoy most.

Different people are drawn to different characteristics that appeal to them Breanne and diamonds with big broad reflections of light are not for everyone (although there are many people who absolutely love this appearance). I don't force one appearance on each client as there are many diamonds that cover the spectrum with regards to bigger vs smaller reflections. I'll always show them the options and variety available within the shape they're looking for and let them decide for themselves with more than enough data to make an informed and intelligent decision. We make every attempt to remove the question marks surrounding any purchase.

A couple I recently helped who were torn between cushions and rounds I was showing them vintage vs modern facet structred (most modern facet designs emphasize more smaller flashes) in both rounds and cushions. When I pulled out the rounds (A Solasfera, a Hearts & Arrows and an August Vintage OEC) his eyes kept going towards the more smaller flashes in the Solasfera, her eyes towards the August Vintage. Before I even pulled out the cushions I had a hunch how they'd vote but sure enough ... his eyes went to the more smaller reflections and her eyes to the large broad reflections of the AVC.
If he were by himself purchasing the decision would have definitely not been for AV or any kind but ... since he was letting her pick, we all know who won that one.
9.gif

My goal with AVC was to introduce a consistent product which I knew would appeal to a majority of eyeballs I would put them in front of for people who are comparing OMC's & vintage cushions. At the same time something that can be demonstrated with sound science for people over the Internet like myself who like proof to back up the claim. There are many in this industry of the "trust me" mentality so my approach and business model is different. Plus there are no cushions that are cut like an AVC on the market. It is truly a unique product. You hear a bit about it here on PS but in the world of diamonds ... it is at this time really unknown. Over the years I've seen some that were close but most are not anything like it. I love it but at the same time love and appreciate the great variety of beautifully cut diamonds on the market and is why I'll always feature a broad vareity of many cuts that have awesome optics.
10.gif
It's a shame most factories are not cutting the way I'd like to see them cut. Finding the real cherries is not an easy task. This other 4ct does happen to have some very nice optics to it. If jg doesn't go for it I may keep it.
9.gif

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!
emhug.gif
embeer.gif

Kind regards,

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/30/2010 1:40:05 AM
Lol I should have stated more correctly, I know they look nothing alike and the cuts are not even similar the AVCs and ECs but just the broad big flashes and large facets remind me of a ECs or more ''characteristics'' of ECs. ReAlly tho, I know it''s strange but that''s what the AVCs remind me of.

sorry but another reason is bc I feel like I can see straight thru the AVCs like I can my EC.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm soooooo jealous you guys can see the videos!
7.gif

Jgny, I can't wait to see what you end up with. 4ct+ cushion, yay, awesome!!
36.gif

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/30/2010 12:31:53 AM

Kind regards,
Jon, let me be the first to put in a vote for reduced facets under the table. I like chunkies but the AVC''s cross are Way too large (for my eyes anyways), and I prefer the facets at the 3, 6, 9 and 12 sides of the AVC''s to be a little smaller. I''d love to see the prototype if you have any available, or even a video of it.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/30/2010 2:10:56 AM

Date: 5/30/2010 1:40:05 AM
Lol I should have stated more correctly, I know they look nothing alike and the cuts are not even similar the AVCs and ECs but just the broad big flashes and large facets remind me of a ECs or more ''characteristics'' of ECs. ReAlly tho, I know it''s strange but that''s what the AVCs remind me of.

sorry but another reason is bc I feel like I can see straight thru the AVCs like I can my EC.
If you''re talking about what I think you''re talking about ... nope ... you will not see through an AVC. If we''re on the same page Bre, being able to "see through" a diamond will generally be the result of leakage or facets on the pavilion that are not functioning like reflectors and you can even see the shank behind the diamond.

My wifes AVC is set in a Tacori which has a bit of metal underneath it. If this were a leaky diamond and I were able to see through it I''d see the metal behind it. Here''s a shot I took just yesterday while it was cloudy out. Does this look see through to you? If so, then this is not for you.

VickisAVC.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results