shape
carat
color
clarity

30 inch or 15 inch DBTY...which is more versatile/practical?

Which DBTY?

• 30 inch- option of doubling or wearing long- twice the fun!

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • 15 inch- diamonds slightly larger!

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I am pretty close to getting a DBTY and I am leaning towards a 30 inch so I can double it around my neck if I want or wear it long for a different look. I am thinking about getting fourteen 15 pointers spaced about 2 inches apart if I go with the 30 inch length or ten 20 pointers if I go with the 15 inch length.

Most of my necklaces are b/w 14 and 18 inches in length with the exceptions of my pearl necklaces which range from short to long. I don't wear pearls much these days so I don't have any longer necklaces that I wear right now but am thinking it would be nice to have the option of short vs long by going with the 30 inch DBTY that I can wear either way.

I need advice from PSer's. Do you think fourteen 15 pointers spaced 2 inches apart would have enough bling factor if I wore it long or doubled up? Or do you think ten 20 pointers (spaced 1.25 or 1.5 inches apart) in a 15 inch length is just a more practical blingy choice? Which would you prefer and why?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Re: 30 inch or 15 inch DBTY...which is more versatile/practi

Missy, I voted for the 30 inch - I love the idea of doubling it. I also like the other option too, it's a hard one really. You need to decide which you would wear more often I suppose. The longer version would only be worn on certain occasions, whereas the shorter version you could wear all the time.

I recently saw an actress on tv (sorry can't think of her name, although she does advertise Dior perfume) she had a long dbty and it look great. I have one of those on my wish list too. I will probably go for a longer one. Have you decided were you are going to purchase it from? :wavey:

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

I voted for the 30 inch but I am bias because that is what I want for my next bling purchase! :)

I love DBTY, but for some reason I am not so much a fan of the short (15-18'') ones, even though they seem to be more popular than the longer version.

I love the idea of being able to wear it long (I think it would look stunning over a LBD!) and being able to wrap it around for a layered style as well.

I think the 15 pointers are a great size as well (I'm assuming they will be bezels?). I'm no help with the spacing though as I actually prefer them to be further spaced apart than what other people like.

I am very excited for you missy! May I ask who you are planning to work with?

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock

Could you do a 15" necklace, and then have another 15" one made so you can attach them together? This way, you'd have really long, the doubled-up look and and then a single chain as well....Three different options!! Ohhhh....and depending on the size of your wrist, maybe you could take one of the 15" necklaces and wrap it several times around your wrist?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

orbaya|1347106139|3264205 said:
Could you do a 15" necklace, and then have another 15" one made so you can attach them together? This way, you'd have really long, the doubled-up look and and then a single chain as well....Three different options!! Ohhhh....and depending on the size of your wrist, maybe you could take one of the 15" necklaces and wrap it several times around your wrist?
Winner of the "most awesome suggestion" award!!! I like this idea as being very practical in the long run - you could have a long/short/double/bracelet option from this.
Kudo's to you Orbaya! :appl:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hate doubling necklaces up - they drive me crazy, never stay at the length I want, and seem to always snag in my hair even when they don't as a single strand. So, uh, I voted for the 15 inch.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock

Enerchi|1347106555|3264208 said:
orbaya|1347106139|3264205 said:
Winner of the "most awesome suggestion" award!!! I like this idea as being very practical in the long run - you could have a long/short/double/bracelet option from this.
Kudo's to you Orbaya! :appl:

LOL! I'm all about trying to maximize versatility. :Up_to_something:

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock

missy|1347101362|3264185 said:
I need advice from PSer's. Do you think fourteen 15 pointers spaced 2 inches apart would have enough bling factor if I wore it long or doubled up? Or do you think ten 20 pointers (spaced 1.25 or 1.5 inches apart) in a 15 inch length is just a more practical blingy choice? Which would you prefer and why?

Thank you for your thoughts!

I wanted to add that I have a 16" DBTY from Whiteflash that has ten 15 pointers, just over 1.5" apart. I personally wouldn't want the stones any closer together. I also find that the 15 pointers are perfect for everyday wear and probably wouldn't want anything larger. Of course it may be different for a 30" necklace, but honestly I wouldn't go under 1.5" apart on the stones, matter what size you choose. JMO, of course.

Who are you thinking of working with?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, I think 15" is too short. Some people have said they regretted 16 and wanted 17. I would do 16 or 17 for a single strand and 32" at least if you wanted to double it. 36" would be better for doubling and then one could be a little longer than the other.

I think 15 or 20 points is fine but I would also not space them too close. I like around 1.5 inches between stones on a short chain but could probably do 2" on a long one.

I really think the two serve different purposes and would probably buy two separate necklaces, one 16-17" and one 30" to wear long.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you everyone for your replies and thoughts!

Monnyjay and HOT, I definitely think I would get use from the 30 inch leaving it long mainly as I have so many short necklaces. I can also layer a shorter necklace with it for extra bling if so desired. Though that might be too much for me as I really am a minimalist at heart (though you could never tell it from my PS participation) LOL.
And you're right- I cannot seem to find any threads showing 30 inch or longer DBTY's. I would love to see some examples if anyone has a longer DBTY! HOT, they will be bezels.

I have spoken to Erica of JBeG and Luann of ID jewelry for quotes and now I am ready to get going on this project but need help from my fellow PSers because I am still not sure of which option to choose.

Orbaya- that is a great idea and in fact, Erica thought of something similar and was planning to get back to me about that idea soon. LOL- I guess great minds think alike!! The only thing I think might be an issue is the clasp showing where you connect the 2 and that is what Erica was going to investigate. Also, I appreciate your input vs the spacing and size. I was grappling with that and you are right- bigger is not always better. The fact that you feel 15 pointers are big enough for the necklace is helpful. As well as not having it closer than 1.5 inches apart. Do you think 2 inches apart if I do a 30 inch necklace is too far apart? Btw, I love your DBTY necklace- gorgeous!! :love:

Distracts- thank you for your insight. I was thinking about the hair snagging thing if I doubled it up. I have long hair so that could be a problem though I mainly wear it up in a pony tail.

Hi DS, thank you for chiming in! I noticed in rosebloom's thread you mentioned your SIL has a 30 inch DBTY. I didn't want to threadjack so I didn't ask you there but what do you think of hers? Does she love it? Are there any issues?
My neck is pretty thin so I think 15 inches would be OK as I have 14 inch necklaces that still leave me room. I wish I could afford 2 different necklaces LOL but that would really be too much! I have to say though that if I had a lot of disposable income that would be a great idea!
I was thinking of 32 inches but could I get away with that with using only 14 diamonds spaced 2 inches apart? Then the spacing would be a bit more off in the back as it would leave a larger gap. What do you think?

OK so I am leaning towards the longer necklace right now but if anyone has more thoughts/advice I would love to hear it as I still am not 100% sure...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, my sister got a 30 or 32" and gosh, even though I helped her, I can't remember the number of stones! I want to say it was about 14, though, so maybe it was 30". She wanted to wear it long all the time, so she was not trying to have it long enough to double. Her stones were smaller, too. But it was a beautiful necklace! It came the day we were meeting to take our girls to Disney World, so we literally looked at it, put it in the box and left on our trip! I think which to choose depends on what kind of shirts you wear the most. My sister has a couple of short necklaces that she wears all the time, so she wanted a long one to wear out over her shirts and sweaters.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1347129797|3264359 said:
Yes, my sister got a 30 or 32" and gosh, even though I helped her, I can't remember the number of stones! I want to say it was about 14, though, so maybe it was 30". She wanted to wear it long all the time, so she was not trying to have it long enough to double. Her stones were smaller, too. But it was a beautiful necklace! It came the day we were meeting to take our girls to Disney World, so we literally looked at it, put it in the box and left on our trip! I think which to choose depends on what kind of shirts you wear the most. My sister has a couple of short necklaces that she wears all the time, so she wanted a long one to wear out over her shirts and sweaters.

Thanks DS. I wear mainly short necklaces too all the time so that is why I thought this might be nice for a change. I never wear sweaters as I'm always hot but I do wear shirts a longer necklace could go with but probably shorter is more practical for me. But it would be nice for a change to have a longer necklace when I want it.

I guess I thought I could easily double it if I wanted it short but now after reading everyone's posts maybe it won't be so easy. Tangling, not long enough to double at 30 inches, etc. And it also might be too much material on my neck doubled because I am very sensitive and it doesn't take much for me to get an eczematous reaction especially on my neck so I am rethinking the whole doubling idea (thank you PSers!). Which is great because now I have a clearer picture of how I will probably really wear it so I can make a more informed decision.

It would be great if your sister took some pics that she would be OK with you posting here... :cheeky: (I kid, I kid- no need to bother her LOL)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't mind asking her, Missy, but she would probably not have any experience taking jewelry photos, :lol: ! Plus the fact we'd have to depend on her daughter sending me the picture! Actually, her daughter has an iPhone so she might be able to just take and email me a couple of pictures. I will ask and let you know!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I voted for the 30". I saw a gal at the coffee shop with a single, long DBTY chain that reached under the chest-length. It was amazing looking. I kept glancing at her necklace, without trying to look like a pervert, lol! I really want one! I love long necklaces :)

How low would a 30" sit on you, though? An 18" only reaches my clavicle. 16" is a choker on me. I'd want a length that reaches below the chest area when worn as-is, and at the clavicle area when doubled around, but layered so that there's one loop smaller than the other. Is there anyway to create an extra loop or something not very obvious that you can clasp the clasp onto when you double it around? The one thing I can't stand about doubled around necklaces is that eventually, one pulls and drops and the other chokes you. I hate readjusting!

Oh boy, just talking about this makes me really want one now!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy, my sister said her daughter is spending the night with a friend, so she will try to get some pictures tomorrow. She said that if she were doing it over, she'd have a little more substantial chain and larger stones for a 30". The weight chain she has is fine for a 16", but it needs to have a little more presence for a long chain.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aww, thanks so much DS!!! That is so nice of both of you! But if it is a pain for her in anyway please tell her not to go to the trouble. I hear you on getting her daughter to send the pics to you though. I am like your sister that way for sure. Though being on PS has helped teach me how to post pics. Now if only I could learn to take good ones!
Do you know how many mm thick her chain is? And the size of her diamonds? Cause I was thinking 1 mm thick (based on info you shared in the past (thank you for that!) and fourteen 15 point stones...I don't think I could go larger on that because that would bust the bank!

Thank you Madelise. That is a great question and one you would think I would be sure of the answer for but now I am second guessing myself. Would string mimic the length of the necklace accurate do you think? or because it is a different material and thickness not so much? But if I am correct (big if though) it should lay right below my chest or near the lower end anyway...and that was measuring over a tshirt without a bra on (I'm in the house and I hate wearing bras so I take them off as soon as I get home- please ignore if that is TMI :oops: ) so with a bra my girls should be a bit higher and the necklace should lay a bit lower then LOL!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am pretty much thinking that a 1mm chain was for a shorter one. I might go larger than that for a long one. But I really don't have a good frame of reference for chain sizes, unfortunately. My sister said that hers has gotten caught on something a couple of times and it scared her that it might break, so she'd go with a heavier chain if she had to do it over.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the compliments on my necklace! I LOVE it and wear it everyday!

No, I don't think 2" is too far apart, and I think the standard stock setting (at least at Whiteflash is 3" apart I believe, but theirs are fewer stones that are more than half the size of mine). That was too far and too small for me. However, with a longer necklace you could probably get away with that.

I also agree with Diamondseeker about length. Mine is 16" but I found it too short for me so I had Whiteflash create an extender for me so that I can wear it at 16" (which I NEVER do), 17 or 18". I usually keep it at 18" but I feel that because I have larger stones that are closer together than the stock necklace, it looks good.

If you aren't sure about a super long necklace, get a cheap one somewhere and see how you like it. I personally could never wear a 30" necklace....it would always be in the way. If you like the "doubled-up" look, why not get two different length necklaces? This way you can attach them, or wear both at the same time and they would fall at different lengths.

I can't wait to see what you decide on!!

eta: it seems like you might be going for a more blingy look than the standard style...as was I. If you decide on a shorter necklace, I recommend going less than 2" apart, although that will still be pretty blingy, but no less than 1.5"....

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

You are getting so much helpful info and advice missy I am bookmarking this thread!

I worked out using string how long I would want a 'lomg' dbty once and 30'' was too short to double up to the length I liked. (I liked them being 2 different lengths still) I think 34-36'' ended up being the ideal length for me. Have you had a play with some long necklaces to see what works for you?

Also on the size of the chain.. I agree that you would need something a bit stronger/ heavier if you go with the long necklace. The short ones look beautiful and dainty around the neck but would be dangerous in such a long one. I know the idea is that the diamonds are supposed to float between the chain but I also think a heavy style chain, whilst producing a different look, would be stunning.

I do LOVE the idea of having the two necklaces that you can join together as well. That would give you many options then!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1347137112|3264399 said:
Aww, thanks so much DS!!! That is so nice of both of you! But if it is a pain for her in anyway please tell her not to go to the trouble. I hear you on getting her daughter to send the pics to you though. I am like your sister that way for sure. Though being on PS has helped teach me how to post pics. Now if only I could learn to take good ones!
Do you know how many mm thick her chain is? And the size of her diamonds? Cause I was thinking 1 mm thick (based on info you shared in the past (thank you for that!) and fourteen 15 point stones...I don't think I could go larger on that because that would bust the bank!

Thank you Madelise. That is a great question and one you would think I would be sure of the answer for but now I am second guessing myself. Would string mimic the length of the necklace accurate do you think? or because it is a different material and thickness not so much? But if I am correct (big if though) it should lay right below my chest or near the lower end anyway...and that was measuring over a tshirt without a bra on (I'm in the house and I hate wearing bras so I take them off as soon as I get home- please ignore if that is TMI :oops: ) so with a bra my girls should be a bit higher and the necklace should lay a bit lower then LOL!

LOL! TMI never gets to me, I think it's funny. Raw truth! Not like no one know how reality is ;)) I think string would work, no? I hate those photos that show lengths on models, since every person's height/torso length and neck thickness is different. You just have to add more imagination to string, no? :tongue: If it reaches the lower end w/o a bra on, it'll def reach the end with one on :lol: so I think that's a good length? I think long necklaces are really flattering and create a visual vertical line, and is very slimming. It also appears to lengthen the neck. I love anything that can create an illusion of being a pound or two lighter! I take all the help I can get!

There's a reason they're super in style right now with all the celebs :razz: everyone's taking advantage of a slimmer look.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1347128275|3264344 said:
Well, I think 15" is too short. Some people have said they regretted 16 and wanted 17. I would do 16 or 17 for a single strand and 32" at least if you wanted to double it. 36" would be better for doubling and then one could be a little longer than the other.

I think 15 or 20 points is fine but I would also not space them too close. I like around 1.5 inches between stones on a short chain but could probably do 2" on a long one.

I really think the two serve different purposes and would probably buy two separate necklaces, one 16-17" and one 30" to wear long.

I completely agree with everything DS said above.

I LOVE the idea of a long DBTY that can double over but when I tried doubling over a plain chain for research purposes, I found it just got really tangled. Also I have a lot of hair and I kept getting hairs caught and pulled out. I was imagining some kind of device similar to a doubler for a strand of pearls that might help keep the two loops seperate and distinct (and to keep one from choking me!). Probably that exists somewhere!

Also, I have a diamond solitaire that I wear at 15.5 inches and it fits great. But because the DBTY is a circle shape as opposed to a v-shape, I had to go with a 17 inch for the DBTY. So make sure you try one on before deciding.

I have 15 pointers in my DBTY. Perhaps it's because the IDJ handmade bezels are very delicate but I think I could totally pull off 20 pointers.

ETA: answered your question and more in my SMTB post. Good luck!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rosebloom|1347158483|3264565 said:
diamondseeker2006|1347128275|3264344 said:

I completely agree with everything DS said above.

I LOVE the idea of a long DBTY that can double over but when I tried doubling over a plain chain for research purposes, I found it just got really tangled. Also I have a lot of hair and I kept getting hairs caught and pulled out. I was imagining some kind of device similar to a doubler for a strand of pearls that might help keep the two loops seperate and distinct (and to keep one from choking me!). Probably that exists somewhere!

Also, I have a diamond solitaire that I wear at 15.5 inches and it fits great. But because the DBTY is a circle shape as opposed to a v-shape, I had to go with a 17 inch for the DBTY. So make sure you try one on before deciding.

I have 15 pointers in my DBTY. Perhaps it's because the IDJ handmade bezels are very delicate but I think I could totally pull off 20 pointers.

ETA: answered your question and more in my SMTB post. Good luck!

Thank you Rosebloom! I have pretty much decided based on all the helpful info from PSers that doubling of the necklace probably will not work for me. So if I get the 30 inch (or maybe I will ask for 32 inch after reading everyone's posts) I will plan on wearing it just that way- as a long necklace. My hair gets tangled all the time in my sunglasses and when I go to take off my other nekclaces so not sure what I was thinking about this LOL. Curly hair is a real big PITA!

I really love the delicate bezels that ID jewelry did for your DBTY. I wonder how the bezels would look with milgrain? Not going to do it because I am sure it would add too much $ to the project but just thinking that might be really lovely. I would love to do fourteen (or even fifteen or sixteen) 20 pointers (instead of 15 pointers) but that would def be over the budget.

Thank you for posting with your thoughts here and in your thread- very helpful in my decision!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

madelise|1347149438|3264486 said:
missy|1347137112|3264399 said:

LOL! TMI never gets to me, I think it's funny. Raw truth! Not like no one know how reality is ;)) I think string would work, no? I hate those photos that show lengths on models, since every person's height/torso length and neck thickness is different. You just have to add more imagination to string, no? :tongue: If it reaches the lower end w/o a bra on, it'll def reach the end with one on :lol: so I think that's a good length? I think long necklaces are really flattering and create a visual vertical line, and is very slimming. It also appears to lengthen the neck. I love anything that can create an illusion of being a pound or two lighter! I take all the help I can get!

There's a reason they're super in style right now with all the celebs :razz: everyone's taking advantage of a slimmer look.

LOL I didn't even realize the longer ones were "in style". I don't pay any attention to the celebs (except for the academy award fashions- love that!). I just love all the DBTY's that everyone has on PS and I was thinking longer would be a nice change for me since all my necklaces are on the shorter side. I try not to do "trendy" so now you have me wondering!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

orbaya|1347143396|3264450 said:
Thanks for the compliments on my necklace! I LOVE it and wear it everyday!

No, I don't think 2" is too far apart, and I think the standard stock setting (at least at Whiteflash is 3" apart I believe, but theirs are fewer stones that are more than half the size of mine). That was too far and too small for me. However, with a longer necklace you could probably get away with that.

I also agree with Diamondseeker about length. Mine is 16" but I found it too short for me so I had Whiteflash create an extender for me so that I can wear it at 16" (which I NEVER do), 17 or 18". I usually keep it at 18" but I feel that because I have larger stones that are closer together than the stock necklace, it looks good.

If you aren't sure about a super long necklace, get a cheap one somewhere and see how you like it. I personally could never wear a 30" necklace....it would always be in the way. If you like the "doubled-up" look, why not get two different length necklaces? This way you can attach them, or wear both at the same time and they would fall at different lengths.

I can't wait to see what you decide on!!

eta: it seems like you might be going for a more blingy look than the standard style...as was I. If you decide on a shorter necklace, I recommend going less than 2" apart, although that will still be pretty blingy, but no less than 1.5"....

One of my dilemmas is that I have never seen a longer DBTY in person and not sure how it will look on me and how practical it will be. I think one of the problems with longer necklaces is that they do tend to get into things. I am not sure I could wear it at work because I get very close to people and lean over them etc so that might be a no go for work. Getting 2 necklaces would be too expensive I think and attaching them might prove to me more of a challenge than one thinks due to the clasps etc. Erica thought of that idea a week or 2 ago and was brainstorming about that.

Thank you again Orbaya for your advice- really appreciate it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hawaiianorangetree|1347147649|3264476 said:
You are getting so much helpful info and advice missy I am bookmarking this thread!

I worked out using string how long I would want a 'lomg' dbty once and 30'' was too short to double up to the length I liked. (I liked them being 2 different lengths still) I think 34-36'' ended up being the ideal length for me. Have you had a play with some long necklaces to see what works for you?

Also on the size of the chain.. I agree that you would need something a bit stronger/ heavier if you go with the long necklace. The short ones look beautiful and dainty around the neck but would be dangerous in such a long one. I know the idea is that the diamonds are supposed to float between the chain but I also think a heavy style chain, whilst producing a different look, would be stunning.

I do LOVE the idea of having the two necklaces that you can join together as well. That would give you many options then!

I am glad this thread is helpful to others as well as to me!
I will have to speak to Luann about the width of the chain because that is really something I have no knowledge about as to what the best thickness would be for the length. Thank you HOT- will keep everyone posted as to any more info that I might get regarding this issue.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi|1347189395|3264614 said:

Thank you Enerchi for looking for me! That looks like a good length.

I did find a few lovely DBTY's on ebay when I first started looking and was told by the ebay sellers that the quality was excellent and promised full money back if I didn't like it but I am so hesitant to go with ebay when I don't know the person selling. I would much rather go with a known entity recommended by PS and someone that I already have worked with before. Though the price was very good on both the 30 inch DBTY's I was looking at on ebay. And one of the sellers was willing to give me sixteen fifteen pointers (G color/VS2 clarity) for the budget. But again, I prefer if at all possible working with ID or JBeG.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree with you! Just when I was cruising, thought of you and wanted to share :bigsmile:

My guess is IDJ will come thorough for you. Luann is a Mimi miracle worker lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results