shape
carat
color
clarity

2.5ct vs 3.3ct RB...how noticeable is the size difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I''ve been looking for a RB that''s about 3.5 carats and have finally come across one but it''s 3.3 carats (9.51-9.59). I already have a 2.5 carat RB (8.75-8.80 mm). Do you think the size difference is noticeable enough to make it worth getting the 3.3 or should I hold out for something slightly larger? I initially thought the difference is substantial enough but after looking at various carat size diagrams, I''m having second thoughts. What do you fellow diamond nuts think : )

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d hold out. "Sounds" crazy, but at these sizes, it really does take a great deal to make a real difference.

Mattcv

Shiny_Rock
I have heard that it takes a 30% increase in stone size to make a noticeable difference. I dont know if it is true, but if you used that rule the 3.3 would just meet that requirement.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went from a 1 carat to a 1.21carat. and I think to me personally makes a big difference. With your size. I think its substantial to make the jump but its your preference though. Have you seen any at a jewelers for size reference? seeing online looks very different than seeing actually IRL.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I so much wish I had your choice!!!

AGBF
34.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, DN, the difference between my BGD studs and my 3 carater ring is about the same as what you're considering. I definitely can see the difference in size between them, but only if I put them right next each other. In fact, when my BGD studs are on my ears, they look like 3 carat each. Most people have actually asked me if they are 3ct.

I'd ditto what Ellen suggested. I'd wait for a bigger stone. You've waited this long.

Also, aren't you buying from somewhere else this time? You're keeping yr 2.51ct stone, right? So, you have the freedom to choose from whomever you like. Perhaps you could consider one of the online vendors here?

Are you planning to go to the HK jewellery fair in Sept? I think you could try on so many different stones there, and then decide what size you'd really like and whether H colour would really be ok for you.

Gosh, I hope I can go too (unlikely though), one can really have a drool-fest!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/12/2009 11:59:37 AM
Author:diamondnut
Hi everyone,

I''ve been looking for a RB that''s about 3.5 carats and have finally come across one but it''s 3.3 carats (9.51-9.59). I already have a 2.5 carat RB (8.75-8.80 mm). Do you think the size difference is noticeable enough to make it worth getting the 3.3 or should I hold out for something slightly larger? I initially thought the difference is substantial enough but after looking at various carat size diagrams, I''m having second thoughts. What do you fellow diamond nuts think : )
Try and view some in person of similar weight, cut quality and diameters if you can, then you will know if it is enough of a jump for you.

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
hi again everyone,

the jeweler was kind enough to take a comparison picture for me. what do you think?

ellen and phoenix, i know what you''re saying and i''m really torn. yes, i''ve waited this long and that''s precisely it..i''m kinda tired of waiting :)
it hasn''t been easy finding a stone that meets all my criteria, including price. sigh, what to do!?!?!? one minute, i''m thinking to go for it, next minute, i''m having second thoughts. driving me nuts! no pun intended :)

phoenix, yes i''m now free to buy from whomever i wish. yay! feel so liberated! i''ve been searching all the online vendors'' inventory for months now and believe it or not, there aren''t as many options as one would think! well, at least budget-friendly options. there''s always something off...poor proportions, too many inclusions, wrong size, wrong color, wrong price. which led me to think maybe i have to widen my net a little and that''s how i came upon this stone.

i try to tell myself that i shouldn''t compare the two stone as i''ll eventually reset my current stone into a 3 stone ring. so if consider the 3 carater independent of my 2.5, i really do believe it''s plenty big. plus, in all honesty i probably won''t be comfortable wearing anything too much larger (i''m a flip flop kinda girl). you think that''s the right approach? sorry if i''m thinking out loud. it helps me rationalize things. thanks ladies for your advice. you''re the best!

size comparison.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hold out for 3.5cts if you really want to but if you compared a 3.5 to a 3.3 you really wouldn't notice much difference at all.

With the 2 above I think thats a nice jump but thats me!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2009 12:25:22 PM
Author: Lorelei
Hold out for 3.5cts if you really want to but if you compared a 3.5 to a 3.3 you really wouldn''t notice much difference at all.

With the 2 above I think thats a nice jump but thats me!
I am with Lorelei - its a nice jump - visually noticeable!

sarah95

Shiny_Rock
I see the difference in sizes. I say go for it since you''ve been searching so long and if the 3.3 meets all your criteria.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I'd agree - that is a noticeable difference, and I don't think there would be any more appreciable difference between the 3.3 and a 3.5; they'd appear materially similar compared to the 2.5

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I see a difference and would go with the 3.3. I wish this was my dilemma.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/14/2009 5:22:56 PM
Author: tigian

I see a difference and would go with the 3.3. I wish this was my dilemma.

Yes. That was what I was saying. We so often agree on things here. (Except the things on which we violently disagree, of course.)

AGBF ;-)
34.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2009 5:40:03 PM
Author: AGBF

Yes. That was what I was saying. We so often agree on things here. (Except the things on which we violently disagree, of course.)

AGBF ;-)
34.gif
LOL Deb, this just cracked me up. Funny lady, good to see you posting.
2.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondnut,

I'm going to play the devil's advocate. You're saying you're the flip-flop kind of gal, and yet you've suffered from DSS, hence the reason for wanting to go larger than 2.5ct (nothing wrong with that per se, I run around in spaghetti-strap top and leggings most of the time, and yet my daily bling outfit consists of essentially my BGD studs and my 3ct ring). You also say you can't go too much larger than 3.3ct. I personally can't see the jump between 2.5ct and 3.3ct being large enough to warrant spending several more tens of thousands of dollars. You say that you intend to set the 2.5ct into a three-stone ring. I don't know what size side-stones you're thinking of, but s.o. I know had her 2.7ct reset into a three-stone ring with 1.5ct side stones and you know what, it's HUGE and VERY BLINGY!!

What I'm trying to say is that I'd suggest that you hold of on buying that 3.3ct stone until you've had the 2.5ct stone reset into a three-stone ring and see how you feel after that. That may be BIG and BLINGY enough to satisfy your DSS. If after you've done that and you're still yearning for a 3 carater and you still think that you won't EVER (or at least not for a long time after) want anything larger than that, then that's when I would go ahead and get the 3.3ct or a 3.5ct if the latter is available then.

The reasons I'm saying all this are:

1) You live in SG/ HK (not sure where you are now), and if you're anything like me and you keep seeing these enormous diamonds around, a 3.3ct ISN'T going to satisfy your "craving";

2) If on the other hand you really don't want to look too blingy, then maybe the 3-stone ring with your 2.5ct in the centre would suffice;

3) Several thousands of dollars is a LOT of money to spend on something you're not 100% certain about.

On the latter note, I'd like to share with you my personal experience and hard lesson. I *know* deep down inside that I really really really want a 5ct stone and because I've not been able to afford it at any one time in the last three years, I've bought along the way several (and I mean several) other smaller diamond items, most of which I've now come to regret, with the exception of the BGD studs. Each time it was instant gratification but soon afterwards I knew I shouldn't have bought it. Yet, I carried on buying these smaller items. *IF* only I'd waited and really thought through each and every single purchase beforehand, I'm sure I wouldn't have bought them and I'd have had enough money to afford a 5-ct by now.

Now, I realise this is not exactly the same as what you're doing (ie. you're not buying smaller items). What I'm trying to say is that I'd think very carefully about what it is that you really really really want and then buy it only when you're absolutely certain. Once you've bought the 3.3ct, sure you could upgrade to a larger stone (or even one of a better colour) later, but then you'd be obliged to continue buying through WF (no offence to WF, it's an excellent company and many people have been very happy with them), which would mean that your choice would once again be restricted.

Sorry I'm rambling and if I make no sense to you at all, then just ignore what I've written!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results