shape
carat
color
clarity

2.51ct E VS1 H&A(???). Are these specs PS-approved???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm trading in a 1.56ct RB, D VS1 H&A. The vendor has been on the lookout for a larger stone with similar specs. He just contacted me about an 'incredible' 2.51ct RB E VS1 H&A. So I asked to look at the certificate (GIA). The certificate doesn't mention that it's a H&A. Do they not note this on the certificates anymore or is this an indication that it's not a 'real' H&A? I ask because the GIA certificates for my current stone and a pair of studs do note that they're H&A...granted they're 3-4 years old.

Also, here're the specs. What do you all think? Are these proportions as ideal as they come?? Is this the one???

2.51 ct RB
8.75-8.80 x 5.38 mm
E
VS1
Cut grade: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Culet: None
Table: 55%
Depth: 61.3%
Girdle: Thin-Medium Faceted
Crown angle: 34.5 degrees
Pavillion angle: 40.8 degrees

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I just ran the numbers through the Cut Adviser (click on Tools (above), then on Cut Adviser) and the diamond falls within both ASG Ideal and GIA Excellent specifications. Total visual performance is a 1.2. Sounds like a great diamond to me!

As for knowing if it is "the one", well, you are the only one who will know that. Have you seen it? How does it look to you? Are you in love with it? Those are the important questions to ask!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
The numbers look great. It scored a 1.2 on the HCA (you can punch in the numbers yourself under Tools Cut Advisor above.

You just need to look at it to see if the H&A is the way you want it.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Diamondnut -- Those numbers look great ... That diamond "sounds" gorgeous!
30.gif

If you have seen it and love it then ... it''s the ONE! Even if it isn''t branded as a H&A diamond, it will likely have that lovely H&A effect that we drool over.

I''m just "imagining" it and getting excited. I can''t wait to see pictures!

Are you going to get a new setting? If so, what are you thinking about getting for that beauty?

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your speedy replies. I just got the GIA cert and I knew I can count on you guys to share the excitement!

I haven''t seen the stone yet. I live in HK at the moment and the vendor''s in NY. I''ll be there in a couple of weeks so he''s holding it for me. It sounds very promising on paper. Hopefully it''s equally pleasing in person.

I''m hoping to get a Leon Mege setting for it but I''m not sure if it''ll happen given I''ll only in NY for two weeks and I don''t want to leave town without my rock! So I might end up having to get a simple 4 prong basket setting temporarily. This is the Leon I would like though...

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=92

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
I plugged the numbers into the Cut Advisor as you guys suggested and everything came up 'excellent' except the spread, which only scored a 'very good' which I assume means the table and/or depth can be more ideal. Do you think this is a huge issue? i.e. Would this bother you enough to pass on it and continue the search for the MOST ideal cut you can find?

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 11:53:40 PM
Author: diamondnut
Thanks for your speedy replies. I just got the GIA cert and I knew I can count on you guys to share the excitement!

I haven't seen the stone yet. I live in HK at the moment and the vendor's in NY. I'll be there in a couple of weeks so he's holding it for me. It sounds very promising on paper. Hopefully it's equally pleasing in person.

I'm hoping to get a Leon Mege setting for it but I'm not sure if it'll happen given I'll only in NY for two weeks and I don't want to leave town without my rock! So I might end up having to get a simple 4 prong basket setting temporarily. This is the Leon I would like though...

Wow! Very nice ....

With regards to your situation ... Hmmm...

If you are certain that you are going to be getting this beauty of a diamond ... how about this? Maybe .. now I don't know if it will work but ... it might be worth at least trying ... Since you are going to be coming to NY in few weeks, why don't you consult Leon and let him know which setting you would like and provide him with the measurements of this stone so that he can start working on it before you get here. When you get here, he can just go ahead and finish up and set your stone in the setting? This way, you get your setting and your diamond to take back with you to HK??? Might that work for you?
31.gif

*eta* I've read that it takes approx 6 weeks or so for Leon to complete a setting.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 11:58:59 PM
everything came up ''excellent'' except the spread, which only scored a ''very good'' which I assume means the table and/or depth can be more ideal. Do you think this is a huge issue?
Diamondnut ... I''m not an expert, however, as is suggested by the HCA creator, Garry Holloway ... see this link, "Spread is a matter of desirability rather than a beauty factor", thus to answer your question, no ... I don''t think that it is an issue at all for you.

This diamond is ideal "ideal". Given how difficult it appears to be to find diamonds within this range, I would say that you are quite fortunate to have found this one. If your diamond was smaller and you wanted it to "appear" larger, it may have been desirable for you to find a diamond with a larger spread or if it were to be used for a pendant or earrings, for example. Given that your diamond is sizeable already, you are likely not as concerned that it "face up" larger. Given the superiority of the cut, every indication points in the direction of this diamond being absolutely gorgeous.

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2008 12:09:24 AM
Author: Sparkalicious

Date: 2/4/2008 11:53:40 PM

I haven''t seen the stone yet. I live in HK at the moment and the vendor''s in NY. I''ll be there in a couple of weeks so he''s holding it for me. It sounds very promising on paper. Hopefully it''s equally pleasing in person.

I''m hoping to get a Leon Mege setting for it but I''m not sure if it''ll happen given I''ll only in NY for two weeks and I don''t want to leave town without my rock! So I might end up having to get a simple 4 prong basket setting temporarily. This is the Leon I would like though...

Wow! Very nice ....

With regards to your situation ... Hmmm...

If you are certain that you are going to be getting this beauty of a diamond ... how about this? Maybe .. now I don''t know if it will work but ... it might be worth at least trying ... Since you are going to be coming to NY in few weeks, why don''t you consult Leon and let him know which setting you would like and provide him with the measurements of this stone so that he can start working on it before you get here. When you get here, he can just go ahead and finish up and set your stone in the setting? This way, you get your setting and your diamond to take back with you to HK??? Might that work for you?
31.gif
You practically read my mind! I''ve already sent Leon an email practically begging him to work with my schedule. Let''s see what he comes back with. But now I''m a little concerned that if I ask him to start on the setting, I''m more or less committing myself to this stone without seeing it. Well, I''ll wait and see what he says first and then take it from there. Getting very very excited though!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2008 11:13:41 PM
Author:diamondnut
Hi everyone,

I'm trading in a 1.56ct RB, D VS1 H&A. The vendor has been on the lookout for a larger stone with similar specs. He just contacted me about an 'incredible' 2.51ct RB E VS1 H&A. So I asked to look at the certificate (GIA). The certificate doesn't mention that it's a H&A. Do they not note this on the certificates anymore or is this an indication that it's not a 'real' H&A? I ask because the GIA certificates for my current stone and a pair of studs do note that they're H&A...granted they're 3-4 years old.

Also, here're the specs. What do you all think? Are these proportions as ideal as they come?? Is this the one???

2.51 ct RB
8.75-8.80 x 5.38 mm
E
VS1
Cut grade: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Culet: None
Table: 55%
Depth: 61.3%
Girdle: Thin-Medium Faceted
Crown angle: 34.5 degrees
Pavillion angle: 40.8 degrees
This diamond has beautiful numbers, it should be an excellent performer. The spread should not be a problem. As to whether this diamond is a true H&A if that is what you want, this info should help.

https://www.pricescope.com/hearts_indx.asp

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone does look great so far. When you say "vendor", do you mean online? Can you get an Idealscope pic of it by chance?

p.s. Any really well cut stone I've seen plugged in the HCA only gets VG in spread, no biggie.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Diamondnut, there''s no ''standard'' criteria within the industry for what constitutes H&A. Therefore, grading labs don''t evaluate H&A, nor do they ''vouch'' for it.

They will and do report what''s inscribed on the girdle of the stone, so if someone has inscribed H&A on the girdle of the stone, the labs will report that it is inscribed as such.

If you''re not seeing it on the GIA report, it only means it''s not inscribed on the girdle.
1.gif

Because it''s a GIA-graded stone, it won''t be called ''ideal''; their vernacular is ''excellent'', but from the numbers provided, it would likely fall within AGS0 parameters, too. It looks like a beautiful choice!
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
so far so good.
If its an internet stone heart images and IS images are the next step.
If its being sold as h&a they should provide heart images.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results