shape
carat
color
clarity

1.7 Brian Gavin vs 1.4 Cartier

jmenzies

Rough_Rock
Engagement ring for my partner - which would you choose for the same price (this is my current dilemma);

A 1.45 Cartier 1895 pave setting (no confirmation on hearts and arrows but the stone scores 1.4 on HCA). Colour H VS2

A 1.75 Signature H&A Brian Gavin with custom made setting (basically the 1895 pave setting) - Colour H VS2.

Note that Cartier have come down a bit on price (about 8%).

1.45 isn't exactly small is it? And the difference between 1.45 and 1.72 doesn't seem much? Having seen the goodoldgold video showing the difference between a tiffany diamond and a H&A diamond I was less convinced that there would be a huge difference (especially with a good HCA score).

p.s. I don't want to go for less than H or lower than VS2 (personal preference even though I am aware I could get a lot more for my money with an eye clean diamond).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your color and clarity preferences and your style! Tell me a little about her. Is she very brand conscious? Does she have friends with Cartier, Tiffany, and Harry Winston rings? How big are her friends and sisters' diamonds? In questions like this, you have to consider the social circle.

For me personally, I'd want the 1.75 BG stone because it is larger and likely better cut than the Cartier stone. The Cartier ring won't likely be recognized by anyone as Cartier. It would only be if she wanted the brand and didn't care about size that I would go in that direction. Others WILL see a superior cut diamond and the larger size, though.

jmenzies

Rough_Rock
This is the problem, she is brand concious but at the same time at the back of my mind I have the same thought as you - i.e. no-one will recognise it as a Cartier... but is that the point... Cartier has (taking nothing away from Brian Gavin who cuts the worlds best diamonds) something special, a real heritage and I guess buying from them gives you something to pass on that is more than a well cut stone.

Her friends have a mixture of brand and non-branded. Personally I see Brian Gavin as a brand - best diamond cutter in the world... I think that can be said if someone actually asks where it is from.

I accept the BG is likely to be better cut (but some Cartier diamonds will be cut to perfect proportions too). But will there be a noticeable difference? And is the size difference really noticeable (i.e. will someone look at a 1.4 and think average and look at a 1.7 and think big) - would appreciate your input as I am very much on the fence.

One thing to note is the sales people at both Cartier and Brian Gavin have been unbelievable.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think Cartier is known for super ideal cut diamonds, so the best you could hope for is ideal/excellent. I love Cartier, too, and satisfy that by having a Cartier watch! Those are beautifully designed watches and recognizable by those who know the brand. That's why I'd choose the BG ring and then get her a Cartier watch for the first anniversary or something!

I have pictures of diamond rings similar to those sizes from when we were looking for an anniversary upgrade. Let me look a sec.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First is a 1.44 ct H VS2 that is 7.2mm. Second is a 1.63 ct at 7.6mm (always look at diameter because some stones face up smaller for their weight than others). My finger is size 5.5. Looking for more pics...

_24147.jpg

leontiffany6.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Both are desirable! Lovely position to be in!

Since you've narrowed it down and further have used the HCA, it comes to preference.

I'd take the Cartier. Use BGD for earrings down the road.

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond size...the 1.37 and 1.63 are slightly smaller than 1.4 and 1.75, but it gives you a very good idea of the size difference between stones close in size. Yours will be a tiny bit larger. The pic at the greater distance is more helpful.

_24150.jpg

_24151.jpg

jmenzies

Rough_Rock
That is super helpful seeing the pictures. I might go into cartier and compare a 1.4 to a 1.7 to see how different they look.

It is such a lot of money and such a hard decision!

NoraKat

Rough_Rock
Congrats, first of all. Very exciting time for you.

I am by no means an expert, this is just my opinion. I know Cartier is a great name, no argument there. But, I would do the bigger stone.

Best of luck to you. I am sure she will be thrilled with either !!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think daily sparkle factor. I think the BGD would out sparkle the Cartier which she would notice on a daily basis. Now, as a suggestion, if your intended is brand conscious, get her something that screams Cartier on your first anniversary. If she doesn't already have one, dare I suggest a Love bracelet? Or any one of their other pieces that clearly recognizably Cartier rather than a simple solitaire engagement ring? And on top of the sparkle factor, 1.7ish is clearly bigger, noticeable to the eye.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
See, I'd probably take the BGD for the e-ring and if the name brand is vital, go with Cartier for the wedding bands. Or like mentioned above, get her a Trinity or a Love or something that "screams Cartier" and you can present that to her, maybe as a wedding gift. I'd want my main stone in my main ring to be the best cut possible, and I've gone through a lot of Cartier stones with people on another forum when the brand IS important to the buyer and ...I have not been impressed. Much like Tiffany, I don't get their "criteria" for how they select stones, beyond just selecting higher color and clarity stones. It's like they don't look at the stones they select. Just because it had a stone has a decent HCA doesn't ALWAYS mean it's going to be a winner. I've seen some stones score well on the HCA and be meh or dogs, and some that fell right outside of the HCA winner range be AMAAAAZING. It's not the final decider. There's more to it than just that. /soapbox.

But I am also not one for "surprises" so you might include her in the process?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Any chance of seeing photos and getting mm size of stones? If you were talking about a big difference, like a 2 and a 1.5, It would be a no brainer, take size. But these are close and both come at a premium. All things (mostly) being equal, and assuming you love both stones, I'd take the Cartier, merely for re-sale value down the road, or in the event you need instant liquidity out of your ring. Always easier selling a premium branded piece, especially a Cartier. Also, the mounting is really spectacular, and the imitations are just not quite the same.

You're buying not just a brand, but the legacy. Cartier has been around for nearly 175 years, and will likely be here another 175 to service and stand behind your heirloom piece. That counts for something too.

No matter what, you can't make a mistake-- good luck and have fun with the process!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with AME. I would get the BGD diamond and a Cartier wedding band.

I love DiamondSeeker's suggestion of a watch from Cartier on the 1st anniversary.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I think if I were viewing this as jewelry - I'd go for size and BGD. If I felt this was a one time only purchase, no upgrade on the horizon, I'd buy the Cartier.
I realize the BGD is probably heirloom quality as well, but I would not be tempted to re-set a Cartier diamond ring.

Best of luck with your decision.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
does it have to be Cartier? what about another brand name whose setting is slightly more well known so people can recognize it when they see it (only if that matters to her).

i know people are suggesting to go with the bigger diamond, but if name makes more of a difference to your lady, i would pick the name. you don't want your lady to say "i could've had a cartier if i sacrificed 0.3 carats" if she can't really notice the difference.

is it possible for u to order one diamond and compare it side to side with another one (not sure what the return policies are)

or take some videos/photos and post them here so people can help you judge.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a BGD diamond and a Cartier Ballon Bleu watch so I think she can have the best of both worlds!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No brainer for me. I'll take the BGD ring.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too, bigger better cut. Then a cartier wedding band, bracelet or watch.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You said she is brand conscious. So for me, having the real thing might be a better fit FOR HER. And this is about her peferences after all, not ours.

That said, I would run any stones Cartier proposes through the HCA and make sure it passes.

You did not say she is "value" or "size" conscious. So personally I would just ASK HER the following question.

1. Would you rather have a smaller luxury brand ring or a larger not luxury branded ring.

Then you don't have to guess.

And if you can't ask her. Ask her mom, sister, cousin, best friend.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brian Gavin diamond with a Cartier Tank. No guess what I would pick....

Victor Canera Setting :love: :love:

_24192.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for BGD! I have multiple smaller BGD diamonds (studs, pendant and five stone band) and the performance is incredible :love: A bigger stone in a top cut would be my choice. I do love many of the Cartier iconic pieces & plan to buy either a watch or bracelet eventually.

Mayk that handshot is amazing :appl:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
woofmama|1416017235|3783858 said:
Another vote for BGD! I have multiple smaller BGD diamonds (studs, pendant and five stone band) and the performance is incredible :love: A bigger stone in a top cut would be my choice. I do love many of the Cartier iconic pieces & plan to buy either a watch or bracelet eventually.

Mayk that handshot is amazing :appl:

:wavey: thank you Woofmama!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd buy the larger stone personally but as the others have suggested only you know which she would value more, a larger diamond is something everyone will see and notice, being a Cartier piece is something only she is going to notice.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote BGD; I love their diamonds, super sparkly but then again I am a bit biased (having 2 BGD's).

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would personally choose the larger BGD, but I'm not your SO! I'm getting the impression she would really enjoy owning a Cartier ring, and it would make the ring very special for her - yeah, others couldn't tell, but she'd know and that might really matter to her. I've changed my tune a bit about brand names, it can be kinda cool to own one - I agree with Gypsy, I think you should somehow find out what she'd prefer - who knows, she might prefer having a larger stone.

nyquestioner

Shiny_Rock
I'd like to raise a different question.
I personally do not care about brand names at all, but I do care about my setting. Who would be making your setting if you went with Brian Gavin? Because Cartier makes very well-proportioned settings. Getting a setting that you know is perfectly to her taste may be worth the difference in stone size. Maybe she doesn't care about the subtle differences in high-end settings that much, or maybe she does. If she does and you are still leaning toward the Brian Gavin stone, you should factor in the price of an Leon Mege or Steven Kirsch, etc. setting as well.
Also I would caution you against planning to get her "something Cartier" later unless you know there is something else there she loves. Tank watches and love bracelets are not to everyone's taste.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After seeing such a huge variety in answers, in the end, if she doesn't mind, just involve in the process. Share with her everything you have learned and let her make the decision. Sometimes the process of choosing the stone and the setting with complete information is very fun and rewarding. Just an idea...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results