shape
carat
color
clarity

0.96 Round $2,800 - too good to be true?

noobiediamond

Rough_Rock
http://www.brilliance.com/diamonds/0.96-carat-round-e-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-egl-certified-loose-diamond-D12081104

Something seems to good to be true?

0.96 Carat Round Loose Diamond, E, SI1, Ideal Cut, EGL Certified for $2,800

When viewing the certificate the clarity looks to be good too. I am not real expert so I was looking to see if someone could comment if this diamond is really nice.

My goal is to find a diamond that is eye clean at a glance, colorless and has a incredible sparkle.

Thanks!!! As this is my first post.

ivorm

Rough_Rock
It may be too good to be true, I wouldn't know. I don't know the vendor either but I'm new to this. Scores a 1.5 on the HCA, so that's good. Sometimes if you are seriously considering a diamond it's good to reserve before you post it so no lurkers grab it.

A

Anonymous

ivorm|1298502511|2858117 said:
It may be too good to be true, I wouldn't know. I don't know the vendor either but I'm new to this. Scores a 1.5 on the HCA, so that's good. Sometimes if you are seriously considering a diamond it's good to reserve before you post it so no lurkers grab it.

+1

I can't seem to see anything wrong with it, unless it isn't eye clean. The numbers look good!

z

Rough_Rock
I can't tell what the inclusions are, but otherwise it seems like a great deal. It's not an H&A cut stone but looks like it would be beautiful. You'd have to contact the seller to see if it's eye clean and see if they'll provide aset or IS images.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't seem like a great deal to me!

First of all, it is a bit deep. This is making it face up smaller than it should. A 1 ct. diamond is around 6.4-6.5mm in diameter. This stone is only about 6.2mm. I'd want to see it in the 6.3mm range. Depth should be no more than 62.3, but I try to find 62 or less.

There are no pictures, idealscope, or other images of this stone. You can't tell a thing about it's appearance.

And last, it is an EGL lab report, which means it probably isn't really E color and may or may not be SI1.

Stick with GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal cut and you'll have a much easier search to find a great stone!

I should add, welcome to PS!!! Look under resources, diamond search, put in your color and clarity preferences, click excellent-excellent for cut, and then click "in-house". You'll get to see some great stones and from there you can begin to search. Lots of information under the Knowledge section as well!

stci

Ideal_Rock
With an EGL lab report I always decreases 1. Example: they said E color I decreases 1 for F. They said SI1 I said SI2. This mean you have to check if the diamond is really eye clean before buy it.

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
I have actually purchased twice from this vendor and my best friend once. They have great prices but none of their stones are in house so hard to get alot of information on them and at least in my past, they were hesitant to bring them in so you will have to ask about images/etc but I wouldnt be too optimistic. Also despite being a repeat customer, I would be weary of their opinion because now that I know a lot more about diamonds, I know they were NOT straight forward and honest with me in the past. My most recent purchase I called them and asked a lot of questions now that I have done my home work the last few years and lets just say they were unable to address most of the questions. Again, great prices and if you look hard, you will likely be able to find some good potentials at great prices, just don't know how much info you will be able to get. I really can't complain about them, prices are great, just now that I now more I would rather have more peace of mind as another vendor. And I agree with sticking with GIA/AGS, especially with online purchases, if you can....again a thing of peace of mind. Good luck!

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto diamondseeker.

Using EGL numbers on HCA is iffy as the crown and pavilion height is rounded in steps of 1%, meaning angle range can varies as much as 0.6 degrees. Also, with that pavilion depth, likely to have obstruction issue, especially if the depth is rounded up to 42%, will need idealscope image. Total depth is also weird, 15%+42% = 57% against a total depth of 62.7%. Medium girdle is at best 3.5%, how to account for the rest of the missing height?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results