shape
carat
color
clarity

Surprise Crinkle...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
My GF''s brother beat me to the punch and proposed to his GF just recently. Ouch. You know how hard it is to feign excitement and hide disapointment? I want to be happy, but I can''t help but feel a little taken aback.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Are you afraid that this will take away from their moment, and that it will also steal your own thunder a little?

Well, there seems to be a bright side here....I doubt your GF is expecting anything right now. It might be perfect timing to totally catch her off guard. Before I was married or engaged, I remember being a little jealous of other people around me who got engaged. I always felt so bad for feeling a tinge of jealousy. SO, it might be fantastic to ask your GF now when she might be feeling a little jealous or sensitive about the issue.

Now, the REAL question is who gets to the altar first!

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Both actually. I would prefer to keep it to one wedding per family per year, but coming in second, I don't want to wait 18-24 months!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
TOTALLY UNDERSTAND! My best friend, her BF and me and mine had all sort of discussed the whole "getting engaged thing last year. We all knew it was coming, so the girls started looking around. her BF wouldn't say when we was going to do it, and neither would mine.

Seems after all their planning, she got engaged the weekend I was SUPPOSEED TO. So, my BF made arrangements to delay for a month and he did it on vacation (1 month later). Now we are both headed to the altar the same year 2006, us most likely in March, her in May...
rolleyes.gif

BUT the benefit is...it's fun to talk about engagements, rings, and wedding details with someone, and it stinks if the person doesn't know what you are talking about. This can give her and her brother's GF a nice commraderie, and you can also correspond well with her brother! I suggest talk to him, and see if maybe there is a way he can help, seeing as how you can use his asking already as a diversionary tactic.

Trust me, it's NOT so bad!!! It's great to have company in the process!!!
9.gif

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/13/2004 10:00:21 AM Nicrez wrote:

BUT the benefit is...it's fun to talk about engagements, rings, and wedding details with someone, and it stinks if the person doesn't know what you are talking about.----------------

That's a really good point. None of my close friends were engaged when I was planning on getting married. It was a little hard because nobody wants to hear you talk all day about wedding plans. It's kind of like the new-mom thing where unless you have your own child, it's so boring to hear moms talk about their babies all day.

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
I can see why you would say that only one wedding per family per year is good. But I agree that she probably won't be expecting it rigt now, so maybe you should still do it.

Besides...your engagement has nothing to do with her brother, its between you two. And, I know how excited you have been preparing for it.

As shocked as you were that her brother got engaged, I bet she was equally as hurt. Especially if she always thought she'd be engaged to you first. I speak from experience.
15.gif

My advice...and I mean this with all my heart...don't let it stop you. There are always going to be things that come along that you can use to postpone it. Just do what feels right for you. It won't make it less special for you or her just b/c they are engaged too.

Good luck...and please let us know what you decide to do.

-Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results