shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal question - ring or diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

leafisleaf

Rough_Rock
Hey all -

New to the Forum - so psyched to have found it. I''m planning to buy a ring/diamond in the next couple weeks. As I began looking at rings, I was drawn to the classic solitaire setting...nothing extraneous on the ring and no additional stones...just the biggest best diamond I could afford and feature it prominently. After looking around, I''ve come across a tension ring that I love. In speaking with jewelers, they tell me that tension rings tend to be thicker than most rings and that it would be something to try on before buying. Obviously I want her to love the ring...so it occurs to me that I could buy the stone and propose to her with the stone itself - then together we could pick out the ring/setting.

My question is the ring vs. stone dilemma? I would want to put a ring on her finger right away! And I think she would want that. So do I take a chance on a ring I think she''ll love or do I propose with the stone and we do the ring together? Is proposing with an unset stone common, in all of your experiences??

Thanks,

Mike

trifecta

Rough_Rock
My 2 cents-

I''m still looking for the diamond but my plan is that I''m going to get the rock and a cheap white gold solataire setting so I can put the ring on her finger and then have her pick out the platinum setting she really likes. The basic settings are pretty cheap regardless and most likely the vendor you buy from has a trade-up policy anyway.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
I proposed with just the diamond, mainly because I wanted to propose on a certain date and the jeweler couldn''t manufacture the ring in time. I feel you get the best of both worlds proposing with just the diamond. She gets to pick out the setting so can get something she likes (most girls will be happy with a round-brilliant diamond but band/setting style & metal etc is more risky). Second, she gets something romantic and ''serious'' at the proposal, something she can show her friends when they ask ''where''s the ring?". It will also show you''ve put some effort into the purchase, and it will show that you respect her choice in taste as well.

As a unsuspected bonus, my fiancee was total mesmorized by the hearts pattern (I included a H&A scope), which of course she couldn''t see if the diamond was mounted.

Stebbo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results