shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal places in North Carolina???...with a brief "How We Met" story

mhova

Rough_Rock
Well, I've got the diamond and setting picked out. Should take no more than a couple weeks for everything to be completed. Now, my task is to plan a proposal somewhere in North Carolina, to take place after the 2nd week of July. I'm new to the area and haven't had much time to explore the state, so i desperately need some advice.

The proposal has to be something relatively private, as she is quite shy when put on the spot and the center of attention in front of lots of people. The only place I've really considered up to this point is the Biltmore mansion in Ashville, NC. Although neither of us have been there yet, it seems like the obvious choice for a beautiful, fairytale-like setting. I'm not sure if I would do it in one of the gardens, or in direct view of the mansion, etc.

Obviously the shoreline would be another option. I really, really like the idea of a nighttime beach proposal, but again, I've never been to the NC coast, so I don't have a clue as to specific locations. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

What other places in North Carolina would make for a memorable proposal location?

For those who care, a brief history....

She is 26, I am 27. We first met in a college physics class in 2004. We got along extremely well, constantly laughing and joking, but at that time we were both dating others and simply became friends. Being a year older, I graduated, moved from campus, and began working.

One year later I decided to return to school to pursue a masters degree in physical therapy. Less than 30 people are accepted into the program per year. So I walk into class on the first day and there she is, again. My stomach did about 5 back-flips and at the time I had no clue why...sitting here today, I now realize my gut already knew what my brain couldn't even begin to predict.

We have been dating for about 3.5yrs. We are both originally from Connecticut, but currently living in North Carolina for the last 9months. We are planning to move back to CT in about a year.

mhova

Rough_Rock
Also, I''d like to keep the element of surprise and do this in a way that she doesn''t know it''s coming until my knee hits the ground. The only people who will know prior to the moment is my mother, my father, and her father.

mhova

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/31/2010 2:00:43 PM
Author: caroleena
Where in NC do you currently live?

Currently in Winston Salem....which unfortunately is about midway between the shore and the Biltmore lol

caroleena

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/31/2010 2:13:24 PM
Author: mhova
Date: 5/31/2010 2:00:43 PM

Author: caroleena

Where in NC do you currently live?

Currently in Winston Salem....which unfortunately is about midway between the shore and the Biltmore lol

I lived in Raleigh for a year, and that's my only experience with NC :)

There are some beautiful parks and trails across NC, so that could be a nice option - maybe coupled with a picnic? You could go to the farmers market in Winston Salem together, pick out some fresh fruit, pack into the basket you bring along, then go to a trail/park. Nice and intimate.

I've heard Ashville is gorgeous! I did once make the drive out to Savannah, Georgia, and the historic feel of that city is amazing - that could make a great weekend trip. Though I'm not sure if she might be expecting something if you take a weekend trip somewhere, and I know you want to maintain the element of surprise.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Does it have to be Asheville? I've always loved Reynolda Gardens at Wake Forest in W-S.

Rose_Dust

Shiny_Rock
After living in WS for 5 years while attending school I would second reynolda gardens or even take a trip to pilot mountain and do a picnic or a hike and propose at the top. Also many lovely places at wake''s campus. I can''t think of other places currently but there is so much opportunity in WS itself, no need to go anywhere else. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results