shape
carat
color
clarity

Please critique my proposal idea

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Whiteknight55

Rough_Rock
UPDATE: I did it! We're engaged! Details can be found here.

I still have a few weeks until my setting will come in so I have some time to work with, but I have a preliminary proposal idea.

My girlfriend and I do not live together, and I was thinking that I could pretend to send a wedding invitation to her through the mail. On the day that the invitation "arrives", I will be waiting at her house where she won't see me when she comes home from work. The invitation will be to our wedding, with date/time etc. TBA. At the end it will say "RSVP with the groom. He is available by phone at blah blah blah, or on the front porch between the hours of *** and ***." She will rush out to the porch, and there I'll be. I say my thing, produce the ring.

I know it's not extravagent, but what do you think? It's just an idea I'd like some feedback on.

honeynut

Shiny_Rock
That is super cute. How will you time the arrival of the mail with your proposal though? Maybe you could put a stamp on it and get the post office to process it without actually mailing it. (Unless that would be fraudulent somehow.... might be against postal laws!) Then you could stick it in her mailbox on the day you intend to propose. Otherwise, just stick the stamp on and slip it in the mailbox yourself, she may not even notice it wasn't actually mailed.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Okay, here's how you do it. Get the envelope you plan to use. Address it to yourself in small writing, in pencil. Leave it empty and unsealed, but stamp it and mail it. When it arrives at your place, it'll have a cancelled stamp. Just erase your own address, or write out a label with her address and paste it over yours. (You might want to do this with a backup envelope or two, just in case it gets mussed up.)

In general, I know these cute and clever proposals are very popular, and most women love them. However, I would rather have the man I love simply and sincerely tell me that he loved me and ask me to marry him at a quiet, private moment, without any flowers, audience, skywriting, kneeling, rings baked into cakes or stuck on top of sand castles, or similar fuss.

But that's just me, and I doubt even one in ten women would agree.

Whiteknight55

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the ideas. I actually was thinking about sending it through the mail and erasing my name too.

Fuzzdawg

Rough_Rock
heck ya! or if she has roomies (like you mentioned) you could even just get the mail key (if you guys use mail keys) and put it there like twenty minutes before she gets there... but then again, who's to say how long it will be until she checks the mail...

thus the roomies come into play again: "hey carla (or whatever her name is :)), i haven't been able to check the mail yet today and i am expecting something... could you check it for me?"

Whiteknight55

Rough_Rock
I've thought about it and I actually think it would work best to do it at her mom's house. I think I can get her mom to help out.

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
I love your mail idea. Very sweet. If you send it USPS overnight mail, they can guarantee before noon or three the next day. they will tell you when you pay for it if its noon or three. Then you could even be hanging out with her until you see the mail come. then say you have to step out for something. Then when she opens the mail, you could be on the porch. That would work.

Good luck!
-sarah

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I think that's a very sweet idea, totally unmale
11.gif
2.gif
...kudos for that!

I think it may get complex and the timing of something like waiting for the mail may cause more problems than awwws... If you DO mail it to yourself, that's a possibility and wait for her to open it...

I once for an April fools joke, made a letter look so much like a posted stamped envelope (used black extra thin felt tip pen and an hour and half of sweat) to look like a mailed letter. It worked. YOu can try forging...
6.gif
2.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/27/2004 11:10:35 PM glitterata wrote:

In general, I know these cute and clever proposals are very popular, and most women love them. However, I would rather have the man I love simply and sincerely tell me that he loved me and ask me to marry him at a quiet, private moment, without any flowers, audience, skywriting, kneeling, rings baked into cakes or stuck on top of sand castles, or similar fuss.

But that's just me, and I doubt even one in ten women would agree.----------------

This sounds like a fun/sweet idea, and I like the fact that she will have the invitation to keep forever.

but....I must be one of those one in 10 then. I love hearing about all these clever stories, but I'm much more the type to prefer a private and sincere proposal with no gimicks.

Whiteknight55

Rough_Rock
I kind of though that this would be a sweet way to do it without going over the top. I think I will probably mail the letter to myself with the address in pencil, then just bring it with me to her mom's house the day that I am planning on proposing. I'll make sure that she comes there right after work and her mom can tell her that she has mail. I'll be hiding outside. Thanks for the input and ideas everyone!

Fuzzdawg

Rough_Rock
have i mentioned that i think this idea rules? i mean, if i didn't have things almost all the way planned out already, i would so steal this idea in a heartbeat. i wouldn't even give you credit, at all! i wouldn't even send money to the patent board so you could receive royalties...

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Whiteknight55

Rough_Rock
Haha, thanks for the positive comments anyway! Feel free to use it if you decide to change plans. I can proudly say that I thought this one up completely on my own. No books or websites or friends or anything. I find that I can come up with some very romantic ideas and gifts, but I can never force it. It's good because when these ideas come they are usually really really good. It's bad though, because if there's a birthday or anniversary or something coming up, I can't get a great idea to save my life unless it just happens to enter my head.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/29/2004 5:50:39 PM lop wrote:

----------------
On 3/27/2004 11:10:35 PM glitterata wrote:

But that's just me, and I doubt even one in ten women would agree.----------------

This sounds like a fun/sweet idea, and I like the fact that she will have the invitation to keep forever.

but....I must be one of those one in 10 then. I love hearing about all these clever stories, but I'm much more the type to prefer a private and sincere proposal with no gimicks.

----------------

Hee hee Lop, I concurr. I don't care if I seem shallow or silly, or even the dreaded HM (high maintenance)...I LOVED my proposal and the whole hooplah over me that day. I LOVED being fawned over by the man I will spend the rest of my life devoted to him, and having a family with. I like knowing that he wanted so much to make me feel special and loved that he went out of his way (and maybe even budget) to impress me with his thoughtfulness and grandeur.

It sure as heck wasn't necessary (just as my ring wasn't), but it was absolutely appreciated!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

There are times he's HM (when he's bored or sick) and I will make a big fuss over him. I like knowing that such a psecial moment in our lives was surrounded by such planning, and effort, and it tells me that when he and I really need to work things out, that effort will be there, and that he will have that effort when I am not as lovely, or young...but because he DOES love me, and DOES care for how I feel... Sometimes the problems with marraiges are that some people don't put in ENOUGH effort... I would rather know that he CAN before I say I DO...

So fuss away grooms-to-be...I can assure you, if you make it lovely and special (or sentimental) she will never be dissatisfied!
9.gif

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
Nicrez...ditto on your last post. I think you have it right.

Thanks fellas for making me laugh about patenting the idea. I needed that on this Tuesday. LOL[
1.gif

limey

Shiny_Rock
I have to disagree, I do not like this idea. Although cute I think the delivery and reading of the letter steals the show from your actual proposal that will come later. I took the KISS approach 2 years ago and will do the same this year for my 10th anniversary, but with my 2 little girls involved some how....

Whiteknight55

Rough_Rock
Well, it's not like the proposal is going to come a whole lot later (seconds really). I kind of like the idea that she will get it and at first be like, "What the hell?" but then she'll realize and come outside. If I were to just do it, she'd realize right away and while I am sure that it would still be a surprise, I don't feel like it would have that same "realization" effect. Also, I like the idea that she can keep both the memory as well as the invitation forever.

ShopDiva

Rough_Rock
GO FOR IT! My guy planned a really unique proposal and I will never forget it!! She'll be telling the story to your grand-kids someday!
9.gif
P.S I noticed its been about a month...did it happen yet?

Whiteknight55

Rough_Rock
I'm planning on doing it this Friday. I already talked to both of her parents and everything is set to go. The only thing I'm waiting on now is for GOG to charge my cc and give Dave Atlas the go-ahead for release. I thought it was going to ship yesterday, but I haven't heard from either GOG or AGA so I guess maybe it will be today.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
AHHH!
eek.gif

Don't wait until the last minute! Make sure that it's all done and paid for, and shipped today!

I would make sure, so that you can at least get it the day before to make sure that you indeed have it in time, and that nothing is wrong with it (if there is anything last minute that needs to be done)...
6.gif

Hurry!!! Oh, and GOOD LUCK!!!
9.gif
wavey.gif

Whiteknight55

Rough_Rock
Well, after a very near disaster involving UPS, I have the ring in hand. I will take some pictures of it, and let you all know how tomorrow goes.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Good luck tomorrow! Of course, you better come back, post pictures and story!!!
9.gif

Judi W

Shiny_Rock
I think your idea is great! We see all kinds of approaches these days and yours is one I haven't heard of before! She will have a great story to tell your kids one day! Let us know how it all goes....and good luck to you!
wavey.gif

Whiteknight55

Rough_Rock
I imagine I'll be pretty busy this weekend, but I'll be back on Monday to let you know how it goes and to post pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results