shape
carat
color
clarity

London Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kinetics

Rough_Rock
Hello board.

This is my first post so I decided to come out swinging. Me and my girlfriend are going to London at the end of the year and I plan on asking for her hand in marrage. However I know nothing about London and dont know where to ask. The only thing I can find is the London Eye but between the trip and the ring (a whole other story) money is limited. Can someone please give me some advice?

Thanks.

A

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I live in London so maybe I can give you some advice.

Can you give me an idea of the sort of things you like?

I would advise against the London Eye. It''s a bit cliched and you would be proposing in front of up to 23 strangers.

You can book a private capsule - for a minimum of 3 people and it costs 390 GBP for 30 minutes, basically $800.

However, I am happy to help all I can on ideas for nice restaurants, good potential proposal locations etc etc

kinetics

Rough_Rock
We love to different kinds of things like going out to eat and tennis really anything outdoors. I was thinking about trying to get to Paris on the tubes but I dont know how that works either. I am sure she will be happy with anything, I was just looking for something different that she will always remember. We are actually going to see a few plays if that helps.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
It takes about 2hrs to get to Paris on Eurostar - and is quite expensive (at least $200 each for return tickets - unless you can get a special deal).

However, London can be just as romantic.

If you like sports, you should definitely book tickets to go ice-skating at Somerset House - it''s really beautiful, but books up fast, so try and get tickets before you get here.
Here''s the link:
http://www.somersethouseicerink.org.uk/

Walking alone the Southbank at night is lovely (and safe), with all the trees lit up - the Tate Modern is there too if you fancy some culture!

I have put it out to a load of friends to think of a really romantic place to propose in London - so will come back with some ideas soon!

What sort of food do you like and I''ll suggest some good restaurants - do you know where you are staying yet?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Hyde Park, or Trafalgar Square by the fountain or in front of Parliament would be nice.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
In front of Parliament is not a good choice right now - massive anti-terrorist barriers everywhere. And loads of anti-war protesters. Not v. romantic.

Trafalgar Square is a good one though.

The vote in my office is:

Take her to see the Tower of London and the Royal Jewel Collection.
http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/

Then go to Tower Bridge next door and go up to the top of the walkways where there is a viewing Gallery - the views of London are amazing from there, especially if you go when it's dark. I think that would be a great proposal site with all the London Landmarks in view.

It costs £6 each to go in and last entrance is at 5.00pm. http://www.towerbridge.org.uk/

ETA. It's a good idea to get an Oyster Card each when you are here. It costs £3, and for about £20 you get a week travel pass for zones 1 & 2 giving unlimited travel on tubes and buses. A single journey on the tube now costs £4 for 1 zone, so it would save you loads of $$$

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Hampton Court Maze is another fun possibility. Details on the Tower of london link.

kinetics

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the heads up on the oyster card. I was wondering how I was going to get around town. I am town between the two. I know she would enjoy the Somerset House but I wonder if she would want to eat a a nice resturant after that. For that reason I am leaning more torward the Tower of London.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I was suggesting the skating more as a fun thing to do while you're here rather than as a proposal site!
28.gif
There is a very nice restaurant at Somerset House as it happens, that I use for events occasionally.

You might find some other ideas on the Tower link. The bit by the Serpentine in front of Buckingham Palace is also pretty - but less so in Winter!

One of my colleagues suggested the London Dungeons!
23.gif
20.gif

If you want some great restaurants without spending $$$$ - look at www.Toptable.com, I use them everythime FI and I go out. They do special offers on really top places - like 50% off, or free champagne. You can also contact them, tell them the sort of thing you are looking for and they will advise you about a good place - and sometimes negotiate a discount for you, all for free. I love them!

kinetics

Rough_Rock
London Dungeons that is a little much for me. I am leaning torward the resturant. I would like to have a chocolate ring box made and have them to bring it out with dessert. That scares me though. I dont trust leaving the ring with a a stranger. This may cause for a new post in its self.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Claire's Accessories do a fab range of sparklies...

Stick one of them in the chocolate box and then give her the real one.

On the other hand, most top London restaurants are pretty trustworthy on these things. You could always pop to the bathroom and instead get the dessert put round the corner so you could put the ring in and follow the waiter back.

Personally I think the restaurant thing is a bit cliched and the thought of chocolate all over a nice sparkly diamond
29.gif
, but each to their own...

sbb1979

Rough_Rock
I don''t know if you''ve been already.......if so, how did it go?...

...but if you want to go for a restaurant, there''s a fantastic view from Galvin at Windows. Its not cheap, but there''s a good deal on there currently that would work out at around $70 a head for 3 courses including a bellini - www.toptable.co.uk. Tell them what you''re going for and they''ll make sure you get a good view - and it is truly spectacular!

basisforaday

Rough_Rock
rowing in hyde park???

Or what if you took a quick train ride to Paris (cliched but romantic none the less), you are sure to find a romantic spot there. You could do the whole blindfolding thing that people seem to love so much (except be warned that people may think you have her hostage).

kinetics

Rough_Rock
I dont think I can do the rowing. We will be there right after Christmas and she does not do cold and water together.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results