shape
carat
color
clarity

how long does an average propsal speech last?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

samkongado

Rough_Rock
Ok I know it sounds like a silly question, but I was curious. How long does an average proposal speech last? You know, all the mushy stuff- "I love you want to always be with you yada yada will you marry me" speech. I was wondering because I''m writing mine out right now (cause I''ll be way too nervous to come up with that stuff on the fly!), and I don''t want it to seem too short but also not too long. I know everybody''s situation is completely different, so I guess my question is more like a survey:

Approximately how long was your proposal speech?

btw, right now mine is about a minute.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine was 14 words :}

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
18 minutes.
23.gif

11.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think short, sweet, and heartfelt say it best.
4.gif
All my hubby said to me was, "You know I love you right? Well, will you marry me?" OK, not the most eloquent proposal, but I woulda just laughed if he were to go on and on with a very uncharacteristic mushy speech. Then again, that''s just us. We are not honey-tongued people to begin with!

wedding_crasher

Rough_Rock
I''m going to keep my proposal short and sweet. Not that she wouldn''t want to hear how I feel but she knows how much I love her and all that jazz...what she''ll really be interested in is checking her new *bling*
31.gif

A related question...at what point do you drop to one knee? If you have a long speech planned, do you do the whole thing on a knee or wait until the end?

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Mine was probably about a minute. Enough talking that it wasn''t out of nowhere, but not so much that I was thinking, okayyyy get to the point!!
9.gif

linvillegorge

Rough_Rock
It depends on the people. Does your GF like long drawn out poetic diatribes? Are you someone who would give one? Just be yourself. You''re the guy she loves, so as long as you are yourself, she should love the way you propose.

applechick

Rough_Rock
My fiance dropped to his knee after saying the mushy stuff. I think that is typical ...

Agreed it doesn''t matter so much what you say. Once she figures out what you are doing, she will barely be listening!

TBeck2000

Rough_Rock
My proposal only took a minute or so. I had only a couple key points that I wanted to emphasize and the rest just flowed. I didn''t do any rehearsing, I just said what came to mind. I don''t think either of us really cared what I said after I asked her the question and showed her the ring.

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
The most my FI got out was ''Uhhhh...ummmm.....'' I think he might of said ''will you marry me'' but I can''t even remember. He was really nervous.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
LOL...I ruined my hubby''s proposal idea. He wasn''t slick enough to hide where he was the night he had my ring made and we eventually got into a huge fight about it because I thought he was cheating (long story but he told several different people he was at different places and for some odd reason I was in contact with all of them so he totally looked guilty lmao). So I got..."here''s what I was doing...you ruined my surprise...will you marry me???" lmao...it''s funny now but I bet I could have had something really wonderful if he hadn''t been so careless with his alibi LOL

pahoyafan

Rough_Rock
I just proposed last Friday and it was over in seconds. I still cannot believe how nervous I got when I knew the time was near. I knew she was going to say yes, but I still got really nervous anyway.

laurel_aurelia

Shiny_Rock
my fiance PLANNED to say a bunch but he did a really public proposal, something like this:

lauren, i love you more than anything in the world. i wnat ot spend the rest of my life with you. will you marry me?"

so, short and sweet. which was fine with me.

Oh,a nd he got to his knee at the "will you marry me" part.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hubby and I were best friends for 2 years. We were both dating other people. After awhile, we just began hanging out with eachother and eventually fell in love. His proposal? "You are going to marry me and that is it". LOL LOL. We have been happily married for 25 years.

Linda

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Once I realized it was happening, I heard the first few words, followed by 'yadda yadda yadda' and the thumping, pulsing sound of my heart in my ears, and then I wanted to see the ring.
11.gif
I don't remember anything else. Does that give you a good idea of how long it should be?
2.gif

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
I got down on one knee beside her at the top of the Empire State Building and pretended to rummage around in my camera bag. I then pulled out the ring box and handed it to her saying ''hold this'' while I continued to rummage. After about a second and her saying ''what''s this?'' I looked up, opened the box and, staying on one knee, said ''will you marry me?'' During the ''Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God''s I slipped it on her finger and she eventually managed to recover enough to say ''yes''. So I make that 10 seconds, six words and a big smile on my part
9.gif

robdog

Rough_Rock
Mine with about 2-3 minutes. I had a puzzle that I completed for her while I was making my speech.

The bottom line: The proposal speech should be as long as it needs to be to get your message across.

1-2 minutes is probably fine. I feel that less is more so short and to the point is good. :)

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I think it was only about a minute. Maybe two. I had a rough 4 point outline in my head. Can''t remember what I said anymore, just that I was super nervous and had a hard enough time getting it out. Didn''t help that I had to restart it cuz we got interrupted. Luckily, I was only about 3-4 words in so she didn''t suspect anything.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results