shape
carat
color
clarity

how do I find out her ring size long-distance?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hi, I plan to propose to my gf next year, but I want to get a promise ring to give to her in March - when I get to see her. But the problem is (as the more assute among you will have guessed from the title...) I don''t know her ring size! she lives in America and I live in the UK and I don''t know any of her friends or family who I could enlist to help me... can anyone think of any way to elucidate that kind of information without giving the game away? I can''t think of anything
emcry.gif

I tried once, I not-so-subtley asked her to give me her dress size, pants size... ring size... shoe size... etc...? well she totally caught me on it, and made a joke out of it, told me she was "3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9." I know she loves me and wants to get married... but... hmmm... okay... now I am wondering whether or not she would want to pick the ring herself...?

emquestion.gif
33.gif
emquestion.gif
33.gif
emquestion.gif

any help greatly appreciated
thanks

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Why not just guess, or get the stock size (size 6 or 7 usually in US sizes) and have it sized after the fact? Some jewelers only take a few hours to do a sizing. I would guess on the big side rather than smaller for several reasons. One, you will be ableto put it on her finger when you propose. two, there are things you can put on a ring to make it fit until you can get it sized if it is too big, but not too small (I use the little plastic sizers for some fakey rings I have that are 3 whole sizes too big, and it makes them fit).And three, it is easier and cheaper to have a ring sized down than up. I''d say a 7 would be a pretty safe bet unless her fingers are very big or extremely small (I have had some rings sized down from a 7 to a 3, and they don''t look spectactular, but its not noticeable when I wear them.)

If you really want to find her size, you could ask her, say you want to get her some jewelery for christmas or something.. Or try to find a friend or family memeber to talk to, even though you say you don''t know any, you could track one down if you tried hard enough.

Melissa

I think I will ask her outright because I do want the promise ring to fit.

plus, I will also know her size for when I propose - though I am now thinking that I will take her to the Tiffany store on 5th Avenue, so she can pick out the ring she wants and be sure it is the right size. (plus, I could get a better ring in NY than I could get in London)

thanks for the advice :)

roadpupp

Rough_Rock
I bought my GF the setting and stone I THOUGHT she wanted. I suprised her.

I had them put a ring guard on the stock setting so she could wear it on vacation. This way it was still returnable if she wasn''t crazy about ti.

When we got home, we went to the jewlery store together to look at other settings. She ended up liking the setting I got her the best. We left the ring with my jeweler to be sized and she came back an hour later to pick it up.

Easy peasy Japanesy.

For me, it was all about the surprise of it. If that is less important to you, then just ask her. I tried on a few of my girlfriend''s rings and knew where they fit on my pinky. I guessed at her size and was correct, but opted for the ring guard to allow us to return the setting.

thanks for the input... I really do want it to be a surprise too, but she lives in America and I live in UK, so getting hold of her rings would be mighty tricky
emsad.gif

but that is a great idea about the ring guard, they are a great little invention! thanks for pointing them out

also because it is only a promise ring, not the engagement ring, it is not as vitally important - afterall, she can always have it re-sized, right? and it means I will know her size when I do propose
emsmile.gif

thanks for the help

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Can you trust one of her friends to keep such a secret as to get her ring size for you?

If not, I would just guess. The average women''s US size is 6-7 for a reason. If she uses her hands in either athletics or the arts, her ring size may be bigger than the average. Better to size down than up, I suppose.

If you get the chance to see her soon, and she''s wearing a ring, size it on your fingers and mark with a pen about where it fits. A jeweler will able to determine (roughly) with their sizing guides.

Also note, if you plan on getting a setting that has channel set diamonds, resizing is often a pain in the arse... you may want to be sure about the size, even if that means asking her outright.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results