shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! PROPOSAL IN 3 WEEKS AND CAN'T THINK OF ONE DECENT IDEA

Ravens25

Rough_Rock
The Dilemma
Ok, so my girlfriend is moving in with me in three weeks. And, I promised my parents and myself that I would ask her to marry her before she moves in with me. We live just south of Baltimore. I have the ring and have been searching for unique ideas; but have spent close to a month and can't come up with a single thing that seems to fit. I keep thinking that one day the light bulb will just go on. But it hasn't.

The catch is, she likely expects something is coming; because we've discussed getting engaged before we move in. but, I definitely want it to be a surprise. So it's going to need to be super sneaky. Where we used to go out all the time, we now often prefer to stay at home in sweats; rather than get dressed up. So, me saying, "hey, let's go out for a nice ________". Will be an automatic tip off. I could try to arrange for her sister or someone to get involved and take her somewhere. But she's sleuthy, so if it's something too out of the ordinary- she'll probably catch on.

What She Likes
What I know is this: she doesn't want to be proposed to at home. She has mentioned to me that she would love to be proposed to at a Ravens game. But as you may guess, football season is long over. She has also made comments about other people's public proposals and how great they were. So, I'm guessing she would definitely be open to a public proposal; but it doesn't have to be.

She's not really into nature/hiking/gardens, etc. And unfortunately is not a museum, monuments or history buff. So we can nix those.

She likes animals, Ravens football, working out, shopping, E! Network, celebrity gossip, fine dining and traveling.

The Only Ideas I Can Come Up With

I tried to think of something involving animals. Like a zoo. But I KNOW she wants to be dressed up, nails done, etc. for her proposal (and wants pictures). So the thought of doing it at a zoo (the Gorilla exhibit doesn't exactly scream romance) or even getting her to a zoo in a dress won't work.

Then I thought of doing something involving a luxury hotel. Like renting a suite and decorating it. Then getting her there as a surprise. But it's been done so many times before and there's not a single reason why her sister or one of her friends who take her to a hotel room. Or, if I was involved she would definitely know.

I thought about flying her to an exotic location. But all the flights in the next 3 weeks to anywhere great are $$$. And, the second she hit the airport she'd know.

I also tried to work with the shopping idea. But, who wants to be proposed to in the shoe section of Neiman Marcus at noon on a Saturday? Probably not her.

I even tried to go the dating history route. But our first date was at a Sports Bar that closed. Most of our memorable outings were in foreign countries. And, we really don't have any local places of significant interest that we go to a lot that would qualify as a proper "romance" proposal location (the gym, Applebee's [don't ask], a few local chain restaurants, the mall, etc.).

Now, I'm at a complete loss! I thought about renting a limo and surprising her on a street corner in downtown Baltimore when she came out of a restaurant with her sister or friends. Then whisking her away to a hotel, etc. But I'm not sure a street corner says romance. Or, even what corner would be appropriate.

I've even dreamed up every scenario involving things I've seen on tv, etc. Hiring an accapella group (this might mortify her), getting pulled over by a police officer who is in on it (this would not go over well), etc. None seem to fit the bill.

The proposal does not have to be something elaborate or stressful, etc. But I do want it to be something she'll remember for the rest of her life. Regardless of how I propose, I know she will anyway. But I want to give her something special.

Help!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Re: HELP! PROPOSAL IN 3 WEEKS AND CAN'T THINK OF ONE DECENT

perhaps a romantic meal on a hired yacht?

Ravens25

Rough_Rock

Ok, so it's all I've got unless anyone else can come up with some suggestions. For the females, would you rather:

(1) Be lured to a location by your sister/friend and then arrive to find the engagement set up there. For example, if I rent out the top floor of a restaurant for a private dinner for the two of us and have it decorated. Then arrange for a spa, etc. the next day.

(2) Or, have a driver and car show up at your place unexpectedly. Which then takes you to a spa for a massage and nails. Then to a store where you get to select a dress. Then to the restaurant where the engagement is set up.

The later is a surprise the moment the driver shows up. But not a surprise for the actual engagement. As she would likely know she was getting engaged that second the driver showed up.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

Can you rent the Ravens mascot? Perhaps you could incorporate that somehow. Like he shows up at her office and you are right behind. Or maybe you could even be in the costume? Something like that.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

amc80|1301415897|2882664 said:
Can you rent the Ravens mascot? Perhaps you could incorporate that somehow. Like he shows up at her office and you are right behind. Or maybe you could even be in the costume? Something like that.

ooh I like this idea! or maybe you could like...go to M&T Bank Stadium (outside the stadium? maybe see if you can arrange to go there?)

although if you are in Baltimore I love a CharmCityCakes proposal :) you could get a ravens themed cake with a ring incorporated somehow!

Ravens25

Rough_Rock

I actually did send off a few emails to Ravens PR director. They really weren't able to come up with anything helpful or involving any players, etc. with the whole strike thing going on right now. Which I understand. I even tried to get them to let me use M&T Bank stadium to propose with "Will You Marry Me" written in candles. They shot it down.

Ravens25

Rough_Rock

I appreciate the help. But unfortunately, I don't think me dressing up as a Raven's mascot - while hilarious - would be her dream proposal. She loves the Ravens, but more the idea of being at games and on field excitement. If it can't be a gameday thing, I think she'd prefer a more romantic proposal. Can anyone help on that end? Specifically, the question I had about the surprise being led to a restaurant by her sister? Or having a driver show up at her door and take her to the spa, pick out a dress, etc.? Or, any ideas along those line?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Hmm, if she wants to be dressed up/dolled up when it happens, she's going to know something is 'up' no matter what you plan. Does she dress up for work? Any way you could call her *frantically* some day (work out with her boss beforehand so she can have the afternoon off) to meet you some place for an "emergency" reason (something that wouldn't be too alarming, maybe you feel dizzy/nausea so need a ride to the doctor), then have her come and pick you up from a public place that she likes but wouldn't suspect (really near a pretty park, or one door down from a fancy restaurant, but not actually AT the location) and then when she gets there, WHAMMO! :naughty:

Otherwise, what about having her girlfriends/sister plan a dress-up girls night out at a nicer restaurant, while you say you're doing something with your friends? And then you appear out of nowhere mid-evening or at dessert (friend could text you for the right 'moment') and surprise her.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

rubybeth|1301429403|2882836 said:
Otherwise, what about having her girlfriends/sister plan a dress-up girls night out at a nicer restaurant, while you say you're doing something with your friends? And then you appear out of nowhere mid-evening or at dessert (friend could text you for the right 'moment') and surprise her.

Tell her you've made plans to hang out with some buddy of yours on a certain night. Then have one (or a few) of her friends (not right away, maybe a day or two later) ask if she wants to go to some place for dinner. Have them go through almost the whole meal. You can deliver her dessert, at which point you would propose. This would be romantic, public, and keep the surprise element.

Ravens25

Rough_Rock

Using her sister or friends as a decoy is definitely an option. I could certainly get them to lure her to a restaurant/spot and then be waiting there with the proposal. The other alternative is to have a limo pick her up at her house and then do the spa, dress, etc. and then take her to where I'm at. But this would kill the surprise as soon as the limo arrives.

On one hand, there's the element of surprise. But there's a chance it could be ruined if she suspects something or refuses to go to that place for whatever reason with her sister or friend; which she's known to do. On the other hand, with the limo proposal, there's more pampering which I know she'd love; but the surprise element would be gone.

Between the two; surprise or pre-pampering?

The real question is where to propose? I'm at a loss! Can't think of one thing unique!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I don't think it has to be 100% unique...it will be unique because it is YOUR proposal! Also I am not sure how you can get the 'surprise' and the 'dressed up' both to happen...you have to decide what you and she would rather have.

Ravens25

Rough_Rock

Well, I'm still left with the two options:

(1) Have her lured to a restaurant by her sister, where I rent out a potion of the upstairs and surprise her. Wish her off to a hotel and dinner. There would be a surprise factor but it could go wrong.

(2) Have a limo show up at her house, pick her up, take her to the spa/nails, then to pick out a dress, then to the restaurant where I am at waiting. This would be nicer, but the surprise would be blown the second the limo shows up.

So surprise or more involved?

Unless someone can think of something different or a way to work the surprise into the second option?

Ravens25

Rough_Rock

Forgot to ask. What is the general consensus on pre-inviting friends and family somewhere to celebrate after the proposal? I think it would be a great additional surprise. But definitely am concerned someone will spill the beans. Plus, I'm not sure if the night you get engaged is supposed to be something you share between just the two of you? As I would like to set up dinner, etc. after the engagement and would feel bad having everyone show up just to leave them shortly thereafter?

amc80

Ideal_Rock

I vote for option 1.

As far as having friends/family there, it really depends on her. Some people view a proposal as intimate, others see it as something they immediately want to share. I thought I was in the intimate camp, but now that I'm engaged I think I would have been okay with friends and family being there.

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock

I think I would go with having her lured to a restaurant where everything is set up just like a fairytale with flowers, candles, champagne,just all the works.

I would love to just be going to dinner with my friends, then walk into something like that and see my fiance standing there, it would take my breathe away. I would want to associate my fiance with the sudden surprise aspect of our proposal and remember him standing there. This way, the instant she realizes she is going to be proposed to, she will see your face. The other way, she will see the limo driver all day lol and the finally see you.

The pre-pampering is cute, but there's just too much anticipation and alone time. Have a spa day set up the next day so she can have 2 beautiful days to enjoy her proposal and maybe the second night (after she's been pampered at the spa) arrange a second surprise to have your friends and family around to celebrate after you've had a perfect intimate night the night before, her spa day, then a celebration with your loved ones after the spa!

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock

Ravens25|1301495163|2883423 said:
Well, I'm still left with the two options:

(1) Have her lured to a restaurant by her sister, where I rent out a potion of the upstairs and surprise her. Wish her off to a hotel and dinner. There would be a surprise factor but it could go wrong.

(2) Have a limo show up at her house, pick her up, take her to the spa/nails, then to pick out a dress, then to the restaurant where I am at waiting. This would be nicer, but the surprise would be blown the second the limo shows up.

So surprise or more involved?

Unless someone can think of something different or a way to work the surprise into the second option?
I actually think you can incorporate the two. IF you can trust her friends/sister to not spill the beans. Have one of them say they won a free limo and spa/shopping day and could invite a few friends (doesn't matter the number i guess..the less that know the easier for you). Let them do their spa day thing, pay for her mani/pedi in advance through one of her girlfriends or sister. They can go shopping and get their makeup done. When its time for dinner have the gf's/sister drop her off at the restaurant so you two can have alone time. She prob. won't know something is up until that point, which is fine bc there won't be anticipation!

amc80

Ideal_Rock

lovebug1031|1301594443|2884354 said:
I actually think you can incorporate the two. IF you can trust her friends/sister to not spill the beans. Have one of them say they won a free limo and spa/shopping day and could invite a few friends (doesn't matter the number i guess..the less that know the easier for you). Let them do their spa day thing, pay for her mani/pedi in advance through one of her girlfriends or sister. They can go shopping and get their makeup done. When its time for dinner have the gf's/sister drop her off at the restaurant so you two can have alone time. She prob. won't know something is up until that point, which is fine bc there won't be anticipation!

I love this idea! The only thing I would change is I'd have the friend say she'd won a "live like a celeb for a day" contest or something like that, which would include spa, shopping, and dinner. Then the surprise doesn't get ruined when they show up at a restaurant. Have both gals be seated...then a few minutes in, the friend excuses herself to go to the bathroom...and you (the proposer) shows up in her place.

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock

Out of your choices one or two I would personally like #2 more

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock

amc80|1301596773|2884396 said:
lovebug1031|1301594443|2884354 said:

I love this idea! The only thing I would change is I'd have the friend say she'd won a "live like a celeb for a day" contest or something like that, which would include spa, shopping, and dinner. Then the surprise doesn't get ruined when they show up at a restaurant. Have both gals be seated...then a few minutes in, the friend excuses herself to go to the bathroom...and you (the proposer) shows up in her place.

OOOH this sounds awesome

Ravens25

Rough_Rock

The "live like a celebrity" idea is great. But, she's definitely suspicious, and the second something like that happens, she'll interrogate her friend. "Where'd you win it?" "Was it a radio station?" "How come I never heard about the contest"?, etc. In theory, if she was clueless, it would be great. But in practice, she'll know. It will probably be better to do the spa/limo/etc after the engagement.

I found a location; at a nice hotel in downtown baltimore. A really nice hotel. One, that there would be no reason for her to go there though. The trick now is getting her there, without her suspecting. I've come up with every story. Have a friend say she got a room there? They all live in town. Tell her one of my friends from out of town is coming and staying at that hotel? She'll know. There's a restaurant there that one of her friends could lure her to. But then how to get her to the room? I get a feeling with all of these, she'll suspect something. She'll wonder why she is being sent to some random hotel room? She's like a private investigator.

If I can come up with a reason they've also offered me a small space for her friends and family to gather after the engagement to celebrate. Do I set something like this up? Or, is it too risky and someone will let it slip? To be honest, I don't know if she'd rather just have dinner with the two of us. Or, if the added surprise of having the friends and family would be good to. I think she'd like it, but am concerned about risking a slip up and then not having time to do something ourselves because she'll feel compelled to spend time with them.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock

well that i can understand bc I too am the nearly impossible to surprise type. Would she be less suspicious about a nice lunch or if you're brunch people doing something like that? If you did lunch or brunch you could still do your proposal there then take her for a day of pampering. She could then show off her ring that night at the hotel with her family and friends there. That way you two get alone time to celebrate and also the time to show off and spend with family later in the day?

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock

Ravens25|1301669782|2885113 said:
The "live like a celebrity" idea is great. But, she's definitely suspicious, and the second something like that happens, she'll interrogate her friend. "Where'd you win it?" "Was it a radio station?" "How come I never heard about the contest"?, etc. In theory, if she was clueless, it would be great. But in practice, she'll know. It will probably be better to do the spa/limo/etc after the engagement.

I found a location; at a nice hotel in downtown baltimore. A really nice hotel. One, that there would be no reason for her to go there though. The trick now is getting her there, without her suspecting. I've come up with every story. Have a friend say she got a room there? They all live in town. Tell her one of my friends from out of town is coming and staying at that hotel? She'll know. There's a restaurant there that one of her friends could lure her to. But then how to get her to the room? I get a feeling with all of these, she'll suspect something. She'll wonder why she is being sent to some random hotel room? She's like a private investigator.

If I can come up with a reason they've also offered me a small space for her friends and family to gather after the engagement to celebrate. Do I set something like this up? Or, is it too risky and someone will let it slip? To be honest, I don't know if she'd rather just have dinner with the two of us. Or, if the added surprise of having the friends and family would be good to. I think she'd like it, but am concerned about risking a slip up and then not having time to do something ourselves because she'll feel compelled to spend time with them.

I think the contest idea could work... get one of her friends to say she one it from Cosmopolitan magazine or something.. there are ALWAYS contests in different issues... there is no way she is going to go through every issue trying to find out if it legit or not.

I personally would just want a one on one proposal... the friends and family can celebrate after :)

amc80

Ideal_Rock

I'm not sure what more advice we can give...you've shot down pretty much every idea we've had. You know your GF and you know what she would like...so trust your gut.

Ravens25

Rough_Rock

Well, I've run out of time. Unfortunately, here's what I'm working with.

I found a great venue in downtown Baltimore. It is the entire roof terrace of a restaurant with an amazing view and they agreed to let me use it. I could definitely persuade one of her friends to get her to the restaurant and then head up to the rooftop (where there is a bar). She would walk in and the place would be decorated and I'd be standing there. Complete surprise. The bad news is; they can only let me use it on a week day! Our schedules are pretty hectic so there's no chance to take off work the next day. I had definitely wanted to get a hotel room for that night and have some drinks, etc. But if it's on a weekday - there's no chance for this!

The other place I found is a private room in another restaurant that the owner said they would let me use for the proposal and a private dinner. The room is very nice - but not anywhere close to the roof terrace. They will however let me use it on a weekend night. The problem is this. It is at a super nice restaurant that she nor her friends would never go to. And, in order to get to the private room you have to walk through a banquet area of the restaurant. I am 100% positive that getting her to this restaurant and to the private room would be a dead give away.

So, I'm back to square one. If I do either of these ideas, the roof top would be a definite surprise and amazing. But it would have to be on a weekday. The other private room could be on a weekend, but it would be near impossible to get her there without her knowing. I'm thinking if I do the second one, I might as well do the thing with the limo picking her up, etc. because she'll already know.

Between the two - thoughts? If I could combine aspects of both it would be great. But doesn't look like it's possible.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does she go out to lunch with friends at all? You could have one of her friends schedule just a "regular" lunch but instead when they get there you'll be in the room with roses and the ring and (maybe) even the rest of her friends and family? I would have already contacted her boss to let her know that lunch will be long (or she wont be returning...so perhaps find out if she has any important meetings that day or not) and do it that way.

Other wise I would take off work early and have the restaurant have a nice romantic dinner set up (either just you two or for everyone) and pick her up after work in a limo and propose in there. She KNOWS it's coming but she doesn't know when. I'm sure you picking her up in a limo (if you want to take her shopping or bring her a nice dress OR go some place where what she's wearing will be fine) she will know that it's happening. But she wont know you have a nice evening planned to celebrate it with everyone you care about (or just the two of you).

If you tell her your working late and then show up in the limo and pick her up from work when she gets off she will be surprised :) Of course she'll know but KNOWING doesn't make it any less speical. She still gets to tell all her friends and family it's official, have the amazing day and proposal that you worked hard and AND she gets you. I think she'll be pleased no matter what :)

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock

I would definitely go with the rooftop terrace.

If you do it on a Thursday night, before you know it, it will be Friday night and you will have the whole weekend to spend together and celebrate your engagement.

She will always remember how and where you proposed, so go for the most surprising, romantic option. Not the most "convenient" one because its on the weekend. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results