shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting ring through customs?

Messiah Khan

Rough_Rock
Has anyone popped the question abroad? If so, how did you go about getting the ring through customs without them asking questions or the better half finding anything out? We are flying from the UK to Canada in about 6 weeks and need to take the ring with me. I would dread to put it into checked in luggage, but would they ask questions if it showed up on the scan of the carry on luggage? All of the rest of my carry on luggage will be camera equipment.

AllyD

Shiny_Rock
Hey Messiah. Maybe you can do what my brother did. They weren''t traveling abroad, but they were flying to Florida from NJ. He wanted it to be a surprise and he wasn''t going to pack it in the luggage for fear of it getting lost. So he put the ring on a chain and wore it around his neck. He wears necklaces, so it wasn''t something that would be out of the norm for him. Not sure what you do, but somehow wear the ring on your body, hidden. Just a thought...

Rose_Dust

Shiny_Rock
But then you''d have to take off the necklace to go through security. She might see it then.

My friend just had the ring in its box in his carryon luggage, no problems with security. Just had to keep her from looking at the X-ray monitor as it was going through. If they do have to search your bag, make sure she''s not standing right next to you and hopefully not looking intently at what you''re doing.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I would put it in my carry-on. They will scan your bag but are not going to be that shocked by seeing jewelery. I carry jewelery when I travel in and out of Canada all the time. You can''t see the scans as passengers anyway - I live in Canada and at none of the major airports have I ever been able to see the bags as they went through scanner...I would have to stand directly behind the scanning guy to see anything.

If you wear it on your person you may set something off. Not necessarily as many times my rings and such do NOT set things off...but sometimes they do. Depends on sensitivity of the machine. At the very least, she will notice a necklace or something with a ring on it.

If they have to go through your bag to check out the camera stuff, just ask that you do it off to the side. I am always so busy putting my jacket and such back together I never pay attention to what anyone else is going through anyway.

AllyD

Shiny_Rock
I''ve never had to take off jewelry going through secuirty, international and domestic. Just shoes and jackets... and of course if you carry lots of change in your pockets, but never jewelry. Just my observation.

Messiah Khan

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. I think I will just hide it somewhere in my camera bag and take it as carry on. Wearing it would be too risky, and I only wear a ring myself, so suddenly wearing a neck chain would raise suspicion. Just hope they don''t ask me to open my bag up.

Captain Ice

Rough_Rock
Here is some food for thought-Ship it to your destination. You will pay a few dollars for insurance but the surprise won''t be ruined and the ring will be safe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results